Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

stockandroidguy

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I know it's unlikely, but if Verizon were to get a "true" Nexus within the next 6 months that is better in every way than the N4, get's direct immediate software updates from Google, and is sold on the cheap on the Play Store, would you regret it then?

Nope, but that's for me can't speak for everyone else.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Don't regret leaving at all got a cheap plan that meets my needs and no more " carrier approved updates". T-Mobile may never be as good as Verizon but for the cost it does the job.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

+10000!!! 2 words, Droid Bionic. Never again VZW, NEVER again. Way too overpriced for "satisfactory" data service on VZW and that's being with them for about 10yrs now. Sure, LTE has been "nice", but in ATL, it hasn't blown me away vs. TMobile service for the last 3 weeks. Heck, the VZW 3G/4G handoff KILLS me daily, but my N4 has been consistently perfect and NO data issues/outages.

Calls, yes, VZW has the best coverage in the US. But 90% of the year I'm at home/work/around town, why worry if my phone is going to have signal in Topeka, KS or some 50% of the rural areas of America that I'll never travel to???

You have to think more in terms of where you are most of your time and not worry about getting coverage in 100% of the US for the "what if" scenario that you might be overnight in some BF part of the country.

StevieY43

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm only one week post-Verizon so take this with a grain of salt. For my usage, I can't tell the difference between my old Verizon service and my new AT&T service through Straight Talk. I gave up my grandfathered unlimited data in a heartbeat. Why? Because the most I ever used in a month in 2 1/2 years was 1.1 GB, with an average around 500 MB. I never used LTE, and never found 3g speed to be lacking for my purposes. So HSPA+ on AT&T feels perfectly fine. Verizon and AT&T have similar coverage where I live, work, and frequently travel (which is where T-mobile dropped out of the discussion).

No regrets at all, and I'm loving the N4.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Tmo supports hspa 42 att is 21 tmo has a higher throughput. Speeds vary by saturation in Indy where I'm at there is no real speed difference between lte and hspa because of network congestion I never see peak speeds on lte anymore so I don't see the issue of giving it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I left Verizon for AT&T in August (Verizon GNEX to unlocked white GNEX) then left them (tired of getting rapped $185 a month for 2 lines with 10GB Shared with my discount) for T-Mobile's value unlimited plan last month and my wife on straight talk with AT&T sim card since she doesn't use much data. Your service is only as good as the person on the other end. Im rooting for T-mobile and Sprint to one day take the top spots or even better Google.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm leaving Sprint to try out the Nexus 4 and T-Mobile. Allegedly, I should get around 10mbps down in my area, which of course is worlds better than the 100kbps or so I get from Sprint 3G. If I don't, however, I'll be a bit torn, because I really don't want a contract but I also have my wife and son who need good service. Verizon is expensive, but bad coverage has a cost of its own. Probably, I'll give the Nexus 4 and T-Mobile a good workout on a prepaid plan (and with Discover I have 90 days to return the Nexus 4), and if it works I'll get one for them and we'll all go prepaid.

Then, in a few years, hopefully the networks will shake out a bit and we'll see what's possible. I really do think, though, that signing a 2-year contract with ANYONE today is a losing proposition, given that there are currently so many moving parts.

KenDavidson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I am on AT&T and get strong HSPA+ speed in most locatons I live and travel to. I have never had good coverage with T-Mo anywhere I have been with a few exceptions. I travel to the Twin Cities and drive to Rochester several times a year for work and have had great coverage and speed with my AT&T plan though.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I know it's unlikely, but if Verizon were to get a "true" Nexus within the next 6 months that is better in every way than the N4, get's direct immediate software updates from Google, and is sold on the cheap on the Play Store, would you regret it then?

That would be a dream come true.

nickodell

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
You're not entirely wrong. My decision to return this one to T-Mobile has been made, but I do have two coming from Google that should be here before Jan 1. My wife is all on board, even with our VZW ETFs, I figure we'll save ~$1K by the end of the year using the cheaper T-Mobile plans. She'll use whatever phone I put in front of her (except iPhone, tried that last year, she hated it) so it's up to me to make the hardware decision.

This decision is far from being made. I'm really struggling with it. I already have two TPU covers for our future phones if I don't end up cancelling the order....

http://i50.tinypic.com/6zvy2f.jpg

I've considered this heavily, but one of the requirements in my proposed plan is that we kill the VZW contracts to save on our monthly budget. Still not ruling this out though, at least for the short term.

Thanks for the replies!

Sorry this is a little off topic, but I am looking at cases for the Nexus 4 and was wondering how you like that one.

Could you post a few other pictures of it and with it on the phone if you have it?

Thanks!!! The pictures on their website aren't the best.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Remember keeping that unlimited plan on Verizon will cost you full price on any new phones.

My N4 is coming, I'm on Sprint and I decided to try both AT&T and T Mobile to see if I can save some money if the service is good. If not Sprint will have LTE soon in my area and I will stick with them. Sprints 3G is killing me right now though.

60% of the time it works every time!
*Sprint HIGH Speed 3G/LTE Nexus*

eman5oh

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I ditched vz back in september, had a Galaxy Nexus and sold is and got the unlocked gsm version. I had been a vz custome for around 10 years. I had unlimted data on my account but switched it to a share everything plan with 1 gb of data and was getting by just fine with that. The vz Galaxy NExus was a frustating phone for me. Mine had problems with 3g/LTE handoff and would loose the data connection. VZ replaced the phone and it was better but still sub par as far I was concerned. This promoted me to look into the gsm Nexus and a new carrier. I ended up switching to Straight Talk on ATT. I am about 90% happy with the carrier switch, voice coverage where I work travel and home is about the same, att works in some spots vz did not and vice versa but overall roughly the same voice coverage. Data coverage is a bit of a different story, I had LTE at work and home so it was faster than the HSPA I get now. The HSPA runs 2-7 Mbit at home and work though a few area I travel drop to edge witch is very slow it works for nav but not much else. In the end though two phones on straight talk are running just under $100 a month and with vz it was just under $170 after all the taxes and fees. For the $70 a mouth savings it is a more than fair trade. I have to also say the N4 has way better reception and network performance than the gsm galaxy nexus fwiw.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Remember keeping that unlimited plan on Verizon will cost you full price on any new phones.

This is exactly why I went with the N4. If in 2 months I am eligible for a new phone on VZW, I'm going to have to pay $500+ for the next best phone, SG3. And I've hardly used over 2GB/month for years even with the grandfathered unlimited data plan. For $149 for 2 smartphones a month currently, makes perfect sense to ditch'em and get the same for $100 postpaid plan with corp discount or go to ST/Tmo prepaid/Solavei that would come anywhere from $60-$90/month.

Yea, "giving up" the unlimited data plan feels sooo hard to do because of that special word "unlimited", but if your not using it to it's fullest, it means squat. Does saving anywhere from $45 to $80 for me justify giving it up... Hells yea! :)

That's why all the people that don't want to leave VZW for this reason just don't get that in the long run, your paying 2-3x more out of pocket for your next phone and paying 2-3x a MONTH overage. That's some serious cash savings in your next 2yr contract your blowing away!!!

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Tmo actually has a decent network in my eyes. With competitive pricing what's the issue I fail to see how its ghetto

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
You should do your research before making silly statements.T-Mobile has two classes of contract plans, one where you buy a full price phone (or bring your own) and one where you buy a subsidized phone. There's a $15/month difference between the two plans, but it's just as valid to say that they DISCOUNT their price $15 if you don't get a subsidized phone.

And in fact, every other carrier will charge the same higher price whether they subsidized your phone or not. THAT'S the shady practice you should be upset about, not T-Mobile's transparent pricing model.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
"The whole T-Mobile setup feels...ghetto."

Really now

Yeah, really. When I was signing up for my "trial" plan, I told the rep I wanted the plan with unlimited minutes/messaging/data(2GB high speed). He quoted me some ridiculous monthly payment ($85+) full of extra "a la cart" charges that I had to specifically deny each one to get the amount down to the $50ish level. I've NEVER had a Verizon rep try to sneak in charges that I didn't specifically ask to have added to my account. I guess that's why they continue to dominate the customer service awards every year.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
You should do your research before making silly statements.T-Mobile has two classes of contract plans, one where you buy a full price phone (or bring your own) and one where you buy a subsidized phone. There's a $15/month difference between the two plans, but it's just as valid to say that they DISCOUNT their price $15 if you don't get a subsidized phone.

And in fact, every other carrier will charge the same higher price whether they subsidized your phone or not. THAT'S the shady practice you should be upset about, not T-Mobile's transparent pricing model.

Do my research? Sorry bud, I'm just telling you what the rep in the T-Mo store told me. It's entirely possible that he was either ignorant, or just lying to me (either of which just reinforces my feeling that T-Mo is a little ghetto). Here's the difference in the carriers:

T-Mobile: We'll sell you a phone at a discount, and in return you sign a two-year agreement to pay a monthly usage fee and pay off the rest of the phone in monthly installments. If you cancel early, we'll charge you a $200 ETF for the usage contract, and also collect the remainder of the phone balance.

Everyone else: We'll sell you a phone at a discount, and in return you sign a two-year agreement to pay a monthly usage fee, but no more for the phone. If you cancel early, we'll charge you an ETF of variable amount based on how long you have left on your contract, but no more for the phone.

You don't see the difference?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The phone payment this is only on the value plan if you get the classic plan they do subsidize the hardware, even though the value plan is still a subsidy, they are just upfront with you about costs

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile: We'll sell you a phone at a discount, and in return you sign a two-year agreement to pay a monthly usage fee and pay off the rest of the phone in monthly installments. If you cancel early, we'll charge you a $200 ETF for the usage contract, and also collect the remainder of the phone balance.

Everyone else: We'll sell you a phone at a discount, and in return you sign a two-year agreement to pay a monthly usage fee, but no more for the phone. If you cancel early, we'll charge you an ETF of variable amount based on how long you have left on your contract, but no more for the phone.

You don't see the difference?

I'd say it's more:

T-Mobile: We'll sell you a discounted phone in return for a 2-year agreement, or let you use your own phone and knock $15 off the monthly bill. If you cancel early, it's a $200 ETF and the balance of the phone's cost should you have bought a subsidized phone from us.

Everyone else: We'll sell you a discounted phone in return for a 2-year agreement. Bring your own phone and you still pay the full price. Cancel early and you owe us a $350 ETF, reduced by $10/month as the contract ages.

Basically TMob has a small (relatively) ETF but collects the balance of the phone while the other carriers have a one-size fits all much larger ETF, it pretty much balances out.
And the other carriers collect the monthly premium for the subsidized phone whether you bought it from them or not, TMob reduces your bill if you don't go that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair