Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Default Re: Newbie question: Nexus 4 Charging LED Light Color??? (Can't power on phone)

Replacement ordered, thanks bobjohnson....

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Nexus 4 16GB Paranoid Android 3.68/TWRP
    Nexus 7 32GB 4.2.2 Rooted/CWM
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Newbie question: Nexus 4 Charging LED Light Color??? (Can't power on phone)

Quote Originally Posted by JayJ-1974 View Post
    Replacement ordered, thanks bobjohnson....

glad i could help!
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4

Finally received my replacement Nexus 4 today, just need to send the faulty N4 back but the returns jiffy is addressed to Poland?

My N4 has my content on it and I have to send it to Poland??

:what:

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by JayJ-1974 View Post
    Finally received my replacement Nexus 4 today, just need to send the faulty N4 back but the returns jiffy is addressed to Poland?

My N4 has my content on it and I have to send it to Poland??

:what:

im in the states so dont know what your talking about :P
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by kniahlz View Post
    dbareis, you are correct. I'm not an android expert, but I watched enough Sesame street to recognize a red flashing light when its the only indicator on my otherwise lifeless phone.

My theory is that the red light does indicate both a charging state and a state of battery depletion but is only used when the battery is too low to render an image on the display. This is based on what I experienced earlier today. I got my Nexus 4 today, do not have any special mods or customizations, am not rooted, etc.. Just standard app store fare like facebook and such. I have been using my phone all day. I was using it while it was charging via my laptop's USB port, and out of no where, it made a popping noise, the screen when black, and it became unresponsive. Power button did nothing, volume buttons did nothing. The only indication that it was working at all was a flashing red light below the screen, just above the USB port. I unplugged it from the laptop, and tried to power it on. Pressing the power button made a solid red light come on, but nothing on the screen. I plugged it into the laptop again, and got a red flashing light again. When the light stopped flashing (about 1-2 minutes later, pressing the power button would display a battery icon on the screen that seemed to indicate it was charging (battery progressing from empty to full) but no lightning bolt. I plugged it into the wall instead of the USB port and got the familiar lightning bolt. 1 minute later, it booted and indicated a 1% charge.

My only guess is that it wasn't charging faster than I was depleting it despite being plugged in, and the battery hit a critically low point. It didn't get any warnings, probably because it was charging and warnings about battery level are disabled while in a charging state, even if that charge isn't strong enough to stop the drain. As I never saw the right light at the same time as the batter icon on the screen, Its safe to say the red light may be used to offer a battery status when it doesn't have enough power to render an image on the screen. I am not certain what the difference is between the flashing and solid states, but from my brief and unexpected observation, flashing does indeed indicate it is charging, and solid means that it doesn't have enough power to render a more helpful status indicator on the screen.

I never trust a theory until I can prove it three times, and am reluctant to drain it again. Does anyone know for sure what the flashing red and solid red LED indicates?
    Phones are designed the way that if the battery depletes below a threshold, it needs the wall charger to bring it back to life..
    USB power does not provide enough juice to bring it back from a depleted state. Especially Qualcomm based chipsets...

I've read through this thread and several related here. My Nexus 4 is four days old. It is completely unresponsive and when I hold the power button for 10 seconds I get a solid red light which lasts for about a minute. I assumed the power depleted completely overnight and that it may take some time to recover enough to power on. I plugged into the wall using the provided adapter/cord. Four hours later and there is NO change, I still get a solid red light. I have tried several different outlets, but due to no LED/screen icon I'm not certain it's even drawing any power and the adapter is not warm at all. I am hesitant to try adapters from other devices (even my Nexus 7) because the amps are different. I'm concerned I'm either going to a) not be able to draw ENOUGH power as I've seen is a problem when trying to charge a fully drained device from a USB connection; or b) I'm going to fry my battery by drawing TOO MUCH power. Based on the solid red light, am I safe to assume this is a power related issue or do I possibly have bigger problems? And if it is, I'm not sure how to test if it's my adapter or my phone if using other adapters may damage it.

I just received my N4 and immediately plugged it into a wall outlet. I don't want to turn it on until it is fully charged. I've read that the battery icon will be all white, but will that be constant? I read that the battery icon shows up intermittently so do I have to sit and watch it to see if, when it pops up, it is fully white?

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

When charging, the display will not stay on so you have to keep tapping the power button to check.. When it displays a fully white coloured battery icon then it is fully charged..
    Thanked by:
    susanlee07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizy7 View Post
    When charging, the display will not stay on so you have to keep tapping the power button to check.. When it displays a fully white coloured battery icon then it is fully charged..
    That is exactly what happened. Thank you!!!
    Rizy7 likes this.

I have a week old nexus 4. It turned off due to empty battery and now when I charge it only the redl light blinks continuously. I have charged it for more than 24 hours still no response. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by nikhil relan View Post
    I have a week old nexus 4. It turned off due to empty battery and now when I charge it only the redl light blinks continuously. I have charged it for more than 24 hours still no response. Any suggestions?
    RMA...

Call Google Support asap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

Quote Originally Posted by nikhil relan View Post
    Make sure it is plugged into the mains. Make sure the phone is not hot. See if you can get the phone to turn on by holding volume up, volume down and the power button.

It doesn't necessarily indicate that its charging.

Not sure how to do new topic but my light on top left of nexus 4 is flashing please help? and there is a light on bottom of screen to if I am correct but it not flashing .

anyone know how to stop apps running in back ground this can drain battery quicker I heard thanks ?

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Why do I keep reading about a red charging light???

THERE IS NO LED CHARGING INDICATOR ON THE NEXUS 4 UNLESS YOU ADD A THIRD PARTY APP LIKE LIGHTFLOW!!!

If the phone is in "power off" mode (not just sleeping but OFF), when you first plug in you should see an animated battery icon drawn in white on the otherwise black screen, about 1-1/2" tall and right, smack dab in the center. The screen will go blank after a minute or thereabouts and the icon will return occasionally for brief periods.

If the phone is sleeping when you plug in, it should wake up and you will see a small white lightning bolt drawn across the green battery icon at the top right of the display. Depending on your settings, the display will stay on, turn off, or go into "daydream" mode while charging. If the phone goes to sleep while charging (based on settings or because you used the power button to make it so), it will come back to life when you disconnect the USB cable.
    I see SOMEONE woke up on the wrong side of the bed. DUDE!!! There IS an LED light at the bottom of the device. I don't care WHAT you say, clearly you don't use this device and personally I'm more concerned as to why my phone's LED light is flashing red and wont charge, not weather or not one exists (because clearly, this one does or it wouldn't be flashing red at me)

I had the same problem except mine was flashing red and wouldn't turn on or even charge. This happened about 10 minutes ago. I went online and found someone more useful than jerk off here who simply said it needed to charge for a day (WOW!).. Also, I could get it functioning normally if I plugged it in and held down the on button for over a minute.. that didn't work when I plugged it into the wall so I tried plugging it into a computer and that did the trick. Back to normal.

As for weather or not a charging indicator exists, clearly it does or it would be indicating that it needs to charge now would it, N4Newbie? What annoys me is that either your all over the place preaching this erroneous crap about the LED light, or there's almost no info on what the different colors mean. I finally gave up looking for meanings online, kinda doesn't help when people repeatedly say it only exists if you have third party apps.. no No NO!! I would recommend you pay more attention to your phone if you really think that's the case. Yes, other apps do control the color and whatnot but some colors actually have REAL meaning! Like Red for example (appears to mean "PLUG ME IN IMMEDIATELY OR I'LL DIE!"). Now what app could function like that mr. smartypants? Hmm? Your telling me that this light is impossible, yet there it is...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12