1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Questions about Google Voice, can you folks help??

Ok, my first question is this.... Does everyone using google voicemail have the same access number? I had never paid any attention but recently my wife and I started having problems with our google voicemail (we r on Verizon...). When I looked at our accounts at google, I see we both have the exact same access number. Is that how it is supposed to be?? If not, how in the world can I contact Google to fix it?

One other problem I am having is that google won't allow me to port my Verizon number to google voice. I bought the Nexus 4 in hopes of doing that, but now it looks like I can't.

With all the trouble I am having with Google voice, I am inclined to just stay with Verizon after all.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,970 Global Posts

Default Re: Questions about Google Voice, can you folks help??

You mean the number the phone calls when you place a call through Google Voice?

Don't worry about it if it's the same as your wife. Doesn't matter.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No, I mean the number my phone would call to check my voicemail. I guess the number callers would automatically be forwarded to if I didn't answer my phone. Does that make since?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

Let's confirm something... Are you only using Google Voice Lite (i.e. you don't have an actual Google Voice number that people call directly)?

What kind of problems are you having? You never actually told us what's wrong.
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by zrxoa1 View Post
    One other problem I am having is that google won't allow me to port my Verizon number to google voice. I bought the Nexus 4 in hopes of doing that, but now it looks like I can't.

I don't get your question here. Are you saying you got a new number when you got the Nexus4, and your trying to take your old number from Verizon and use it as your G-Voice number? Or are you saying you are trying to use your phone number now as your G-Voice number as well? If that's what your asking, I believe Sprint is the only carrier that allows integration with G-Voice using your same number.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I am only using google voice for voicemail. I do not have a number that others call. Calls go directly to my Verizon number.

With that said, google says I cannot port my number to them. Also, the number assigned to my account and my wife's account, for accessing voice mail, is the same. Is it supposed to be that way?

Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    I don't get your question here. Are you saying you got a new number when you got the Nexus4, and your trying to take your old number from Verizon and use it as your G-Voice number? Or are you saying you are trying to use your phone number now as your G-Voice number as well? If that's what your asking, I believe Sprint is the only carrier that allows integration with G-Voice using your same number.
    He never actually said what problem he's having with Google Voice, but from the questions he asked, I assume he wants to port his Verizon number to Google Voice. That's not the same thing as Sprint's integration with Google Voice.

Usually, you can port your existing carrier number to Google Voice just like any other carrier, so that people can continue to call the same number they've always had for you. You'll have to get a new line of service to do that, because porting terminates the existing contract.

I assume he and his wife are in an area code that Google currently doesn't support for porting numbers.
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I have stated my question twice. Is there just one number that all google voicemail users have as their voicemail access number, or does each person have a unique voicemail number?

Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

I am only using google voice for voicemail. I do not have a number that others call. Calls go directly to my Verizon number.

With that said, google says I cannot port my number to them. Also, the number assigned to my account and my wife's account, for accessing voice mail, is the same. Is it supposed to be that way?

I think you need to get a Google Voice number (full account, not just Google Voice Lite) before you'll be allowed to port your Verizon number. A GV Lite account is very different from a full account. I think the system is set up to reject any attempts to port numbers to a "Lite" account.

Just go into your Google Voice account and request a number. That will upgrade your account. Then maybe you'll be able to port. But again, it's possible that your carrier number is in an area code that Google doesn't support for porting.
    --Inspector Gadget

Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

I have stated my question twice. Is there just one number that all google voicemail users have as their voicemail access number, or does each person have a unique voicemail number?

You said you and your wife are having problems with your voicemail. You never told us what kind of problems. You can't access it? You're accessing the wrong box? What's actually wrong with the service?

We know you want to port, but you were asking about access numbers. Why?

BTW, your VM access number should be unique.
    --Inspector Gadget

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Our voicemail used to work fine, then all of a sudden we had problems. When I looked at our google voice accounts I found we both have the exact same access number. I didn't think that was right, but trying to find a way to contact google about it is tough.

As for the problem porting the Verizon number, I understand, from what has been posted here, that I need to first upgrade to a full voice account.

Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

Our voicemail used to work fine, then all of a sudden we had problems. When I looked at our google voice accounts I found we both have the exact same access number. I didn't think that was right, but trying to find a way to contact google about it is tough.

As for the problem porting the Verizon number, I understand, from what has been posted here, that I need to first upgrade to a full voice account.

You have to upgrade in order to port.

I'm not sure how you both ended up with the same access number. It's been a long time since I last used GV Lite. I've been using a full account. It's possible that Google assigned you both the same access number and is using caller ID to differentiate your phones when each of you calls. Have either of you blocked your caller ID? You still haven't said what actually happens when you call your voicemail. Difficult to troubleshoot without knowing what's happening.
    --Inspector Gadget

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Our google voicemails worked fine for over a year, then suddenly we started having problems. Basically, one would get voicemail from other line and one would not have access to voicemail and callers would get error message.

Since that happened, I went back to Verizon voicemail and my wife uses Google voicemail.

Trying to figure out how we ended up with same access number and how to get it fixed.

When I first signed up, they gave me a temp random number of some sort to access voice mail messages. Once I picked a number (and upgraded), that new number I picked became my new access number too.

Do you and your wife have separate google/gmail accounts and log in separately?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    When I first signed up, they gave me a temp random number of some sort to access voice mail messages. Once I picked a number (and upgraded), that new number I picked became my new access number too.

Do you and your wife have separate google/gmail accounts and log in separately?
    Yes, we have seperate accounts and logins. Like I said, it all worked fine for a year or so, then the problem started.

Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

Our google voicemails worked fine for over a year, then suddenly we started having problems. Basically, one would get voicemail from other line and one would not have access to voicemail and callers would get error message.

Since that happened, I went back to Verizon voicemail and my wife uses Google voicemail.

Trying to figure out how we ended up with same access number and how to get it fixed.

Well I don't know how the duplication occurred, but I think a quick way to remedy it is to request a Google Voice number (get a full account). The new number would become your new access number. Just be sure to turn off conditional call forwarding (CCF) before you upgrade. Then you can turn CCF back on with your new number after upgrading.

You don't have to use the advanced GV features. You can continue to treat the account like a GV Lite account, if you wish; however, you will gain the ability to port your Verizon number (and subsequently terminate your Verizon account) if you like.
    --Inspector Gadget

Well - that's fairly bizarre. I can't imagine how or why your two separate accounts would merge unless there was something done to instigate it. I would have each of you pick a unique phone number for each account and then see what happens. I like this feature, you can pick a super easy number to remember or a vanity # that spells something meaningful to you.

FWIW, I just ported my Verizon number (that I have had since 2002) to Google Voice without any problem at all and everything is working fine. I just followed GV's instructions. I do have a full GV account though.....
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

Yes, we have seperate accounts and logins. Like I said, it all worked fine for a year or so, then the problem started.

I'm not sure if this would be a problem, but do you have any devices where both of your accounts are logged in? A tablet, phone, etc.? It's not SUPPOSED to be a problem, but who knows? I've never seen this issue before.
    --Inspector Gadget

Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    FWIW, I just ported my Verizon number (that I have had since 2002) to Google Voice without any problem at all and everything is working fine. I just followed GV's instructions. I do have a full GV account though.....
    It states it in the link I provided earlier. You MUST have a full account in order to port to Google Voice. You cannot port with only a Google Voice Lite account.
    --Inspector Gadget

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Ok, took some time but I finally ended up choosing a new google voice number. I now have a different access number than my wife. I still cannot port my Verizon number. When I check it tells me my number is from an area that does not currently support porting.

Oh well, at least I can get my google voice mail going again! Thanks to all for their comments and suggestions!