Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

Default How is the push service in N4?

So now that i ordered the N4i am trying to get more information about it.

Right now i have a BB device and the push service is working perfectly, i get all email to the device basically at the same time as i get it to my inbox.

For those of you that already have the N4, could you please tell me how is the push service works?

Thanks.

Default Re: How is the push service in N4?

I have no problems. Sometimes I get them before I see them in my inbox, sometimes shortly after.
    Thanked by:
    V-Tech 

That's a factor of the email provider and the carrier you choose, not of the phone.

BTW, nothing will compare to a BlackBerry for email pushing, it's about the only thing RIM is doing right these days

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Basscase View Post
    I have no problems. Sometimes I get them before I see them in my inbox, sometimes shortly after.
    Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    That's a factor of the email provider and the carrier you choose, not of the phone.

BTW, nothing will compare to a BlackBerry for email pushing, it's about the only thing RIM is doing right these days

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Well, i use Gmail and for now Rogers in Canada.

I know that BB has the best push service but i was just wondering if the Nexus is close to it. I know that a lot of my friends use iPhone and the email push there is not that good.

That's not contradictory at all.....

Quote Originally Posted by Basscase View Post
    That's not contradictory at all.....
    yeah I agree those statements are contradictory.

whatever factor in push notification. it works absolutely wonderful.
    i get emails as soon as i get it. same with all apps.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

Thanks for the info everyone.

Really? Wow. That is not my experience with BB at all. Granted my last experience with them was 2008 or so and I was using BB Internet Services, not Enterprise services. But here's why it was bad:
    - They polled my email every 15 minutes. You couldn't get them to do it faster. So even if push to device was fast, I would get emails up to 15 minutes delayed.
    - It was another potential point of failure in my email delivery system. And BIS went down, a lot. It was friggin ridiculous. you can search for "BIS outage" in the 2007 2008 year range and you'll see.

Then I got an OG droid, and I set my email server to IMAP push, and I got K9-mail, and it was awesome. It was pretty much instantaneous and there was no middle man.

Now I am on an Incredible 2 (waiting for my N4) , and I since moved my email to google apps for domains, and I use gmail app for some account and K9 for others. In either case I get my email on my phone before the notification shows up on my desktop gmail browser window.

I find email on Android to be stellar. Maybe BB is ok now, and maybe BES rocks compared to BIS, but at this point there is just not much room for improvement over near-instantaneous.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

Well, i can tell you that i use BB since the beginning of 2009 (almost 4 years now) and the push works perfectly. I get all email the second they arrive to my inbox.

There are a lot of disadvantage to BB devices and this is probably the reason that i'm switching to Android but the push is a great thing they have. BBM is another great thing from BB but today with Whatsapp and other different apps it basically lost it's advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    yeah I agree those statements are contradictory.
    Blackberry handles emails differently than regular cellphones do, with their own network directing the traffic. Because they're primarily a business/enterprise phone they have a strong focus on email at the expense of everything else.