Just switched from iPhone 4S to Nexus 4 (and got it in 2 days) !

anothershadow

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I was an iPhone owner since the 3G, and had every model since. I had piddled with jailbreaking on some of the earlier models but as the newer models required tethered jailbreaks I ended up leaving my 4S stock. Eventually I decided that I wanted a bigger screen, because that was the trend in the market and the teeny 3.5 inch just wasn't enough anymore. The iPhone 5 was a massive disappointment. 4 inch long screen? You want me to spend $30 on adapters to make all my old stuff work? No thanks. I debated between the SGS3 and the Nexus 4 for quite some time but eventually decided that the vanilla android and faster updates were worth the loss of storage.

So, I ordered a 16 GB Nexus 4 on December 4th. It said it would take 5-6 weeks to ship, but I figured it would be worth it. December 6th, my apartment tells me that I have a package. I wasn't expecting it, but bam, my new Nexus 4 was apparently shipped with 2 day air?

Enough of storytime. I joined this forum and made this thread so I could ask this; what advice can you guys give me about general hacking / rooting? What modifications are considered "must-have"? I'm familiar with the general concept of rooting, but not much more than that. I'm capable of googling it and figuring the rest out but any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

anothershadow

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
IMG_3449-1.jpg

Here's proof! Order number and my address are covered.

Last edited:

Examiner19

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Welcome. If it's not too late, read that post and "Fastboot oem unluck" before you set anything up. That will wipe your phone, but unlock the bootloader. Then just take your time to decide if you want to root or flash ROMs. Once the bootloader is unlocked, all of that will be easy to do. But do that now, so you won't lose any of your data if you decide to do it later. Enjoy.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I was an iPhone owner since the 3G, and had every model since. I had piddled with jailbreaking on some of the earlier models but as the newer models required tethered jailbreaks I ended up leaving my 4S stock. Eventually I decided that I wanted a bigger screen, because that was the trend in the market and the teeny 3.5 inch just wasn't enough anymore. The iPhone 5 was a massive disappointment. 4 inch long screen? You want me to spend $30 on adapters to make all my old stuff work? No thanks. I debated between the SGS3 and the Nexus 4 for quite some time but eventually decided that the vanilla android and faster updates were worth the loss of storage.

So, I ordered a 16 GB Nexus 4 on December 4th. It said it would take 5-6 weeks to ship, but I figured it would be worth it. December 6th, my apartment tells me that I have a package. I wasn't expecting it, but bam, my new Nexus 4 was apparently shipped with 2 day air?

Enough of storytime. I joined this forum and made this thread so I could ask this; what advice can you guys give me about general hacking / rooting? What modifications are considered "must-have"? I'm familiar with the general concept of rooting, but not much more than that. I'm capable of googling it and figuring the rest out but any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

although the nexus 4 is the easiest phone to root... Id recommend waiting.
there is a lot you can do with the phone without rooting. ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/225815-nexus-4-screenshots-share-them-here.html )

Those are some examples. Unless you plan on developing/building apps/testing/or unlocking the interenals for unique custom builds.... then I wouldnt do it right away. You will lose some security in your phone when you do this.

Android phones are extremely fun and very customizable. have fun with your new Nexus 4

MrSherms

Great Googley Moogley!
May 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome. If it's not too late, read that post and "Fastboot oem unluck" before you set anything up. That will wipe your phone, but unlock the bootloader. Then just take your time to decide if you want to root or flash ROMs. Once the bootloader is unlocked, all of that will be easy to do. But do that now, so you won't lose any of your data if you decide to do it later. Enjoy.

Here is that post for the OP: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...s/221552-how-unlock-bootloader-nexus-4-a.html

anothershadow

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
What phone security is lost? I was thinking I would just have it "jailbroken" or whatever the equivalent is, without making any major modifications until I'm more familiar with it. It seems like this bootloader is what I'm looking for. Would there be any issues with installing the bootloader and not going any further? (unless I decide to later).

I haven't done anything with it, because my microSIM is still stuck in my iPhone and I've lost the SIM tool... I'm currently trying to open it with other random things around my apartment.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
What phone security is lost? I was thinking I would just have it "jailbroken" or whatever the equivalent is, without making any major modifications until I'm more familiar with it. It seems like this bootloader is what I'm looking for. Would there be any issues with installing the bootloader and not going any further? (unless I decide to later)

As soon as your bootloader is unlocked is when you phone is more vulnerable. (IF) you downloaded a bad application that had the ability to write information to you phone. or translate information from your phone to there server... and your phone has an unlocked bootloader... they can almost do anything to your phone...

Not very many apps are malacious... but they are out there. google is currently trying to fix this issue. But at the moment, you are exposed.

Id recomment Googling pros and cons to Rooting.
(Iphones are way different and Rooting is a serious decision for someone brand new)

bmolloy

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android! Now seriously, Don't root this yet. Coming from IOS many of the things you had to jailbreak for are built right in. You can customize the heck out of an android phone and set it up however you want to. Want wifi tether?? It is built right into the system, no need to root (keep in mind your carrier - I am assuming AT&T might not like it, but you can do it). Multitasking, built in. Notification changes, customizable in the setting and with hundreds of apps and widgets out there.

There are a few benefits to rooting, such as back ups, but these are really only necessary if are flashing ROMS (don't even go there yet). You can also change Kernels, Radios etc. but again... Don't go there yet!

This phone is bad A$% out of the box, get to know it before you Root.

Word of advice. You can control a lot of your app experience through the play store online, you can browse apps and tell it to install to your phone, remove apps and see what you have on the phone already. If you have multiple devices this is really nice because you can install something simultaneously to your phone and say your tablet. Android is really becoming more than an OS, it is becoming an ecosystem much like IOS (only a hell of a lot more open).

If you have questions ask, this is a great community for that.

MrSherms

Great Googley Moogley!
May 4, 2012
Visit site

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Would you still reccommend unlocking the bootloader?

Id so No. Just enjoy your phone for awhile. And if you want to customize your home screen.... use apps like...
Apex Launcher (download Icon packs too)
Minimilistic Text
Metrostation Icons
UCCW

You can seriously do a lot without rooting

bmolloy

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Would you still reccommend unlocking the bootloader?

You can always unlock the bootloader later, you just have to start from scratch setting it up (not a big deal). I have been on android for years (left iPhone after the original iPhone but my wife is still on that ecosystem and has the 5 so being the family IT guy I am very familiar with both.) I have done the Rooting thing on several phones, but honestly I did not root or unlock the bootloader on my Galaxy Nexus and I probably wont do it on my Nexus 4. There is the chance that unlocking the bootloader will void your warranty and Rooting it most certainly will. There are ways to get back to stock to avoid this, but if you nuke, or what we call in the android community "brick" your phone you will be S.O.L.

I am on AT&T as well and have an unlimited LTE plan, make sure you look up the APN thread on how to set up your Data to get the best speeds (APN is Access Point Name - it is un-editable in iOS but you can tweek it in Android (Stock no need to root).

P.S. A needle should work to open your Sim Tray.

anothershadow

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

I ended up having to take it to the AT&T store to get the sim out because I had no needles or paperclips in my entire apartment. Turns out they had to change some SIM stuff to make my data plan work (i got to keep my old unlimited plan from the iPhone days).

I guess I'll hold off on the bootloader and such and just keep it stock for now.

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

I ended up having to take it to the AT&T store to get the sim out because I had no needles or paperclips in my entire apartment. Turns out they had to change some SIM stuff to make my data plan work (i got to keep my old unlimited plan from the iPhone days).

I guess I'll hold off on the bootloader and such and just keep it stock for now.

The N4 came with a sim tool in the box...did you look?

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Finally someone with a positive Nexus 4 buying experience! I'm so happy for you man. Glad to see you got yours so quick.

Enjoy! :)

Sent from my Nexus 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown