Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

Default Re: Anyone using Google Voice VOIP over data connection: what's lowest data speed it works at?

I've been using Google Voice + Groove IP for the past week on T-Mo's $30 plan and haven't had any real issues. When I tested it myself over WiFi (w/ my GS2), there was major lag but when I called my wife, she said she didn't notice any delay. Of course that was over a 30mbps connection, so I still need to try on the T-Mo network. But if this month long trial goes well, I'll be ditching Sprint...well, sorta. Wife still has a year on her contract.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Default Re: Anyone using Google Voice VOIP over data connection: what's lowest data speed it works at?

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto phenom View Post
    I've been using Google Voice + Groove IP for the past week on T-Mo's $30 plan and haven't had any real issues. When I tested it myself over WiFi (w/ my GS2), there was major lag but when I called my wife, she said she didn't notice any delay. Of course that was over a 30mbps connection, so I still need to try on the T-Mo network. But if this month long trial goes well, I'll be ditching Sprint...well, sorta. Wife still has a year on her contract.
    Have you tried it over a data connection yet? How was it? After your calls, can you also test the up/down speeds in speedtest?

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

I use Talkatone, and my experience with it seems to be different from most here. I actually find Talkatone having much less delay issues than GrooveIP. Either way, I have used Talkatone both over wifi and T-mo data, and wifi is definitely better, but that's mainly because of the latency issues with mobile data. It does work pretty well over a data connection though. I haven't got to test on all different kinds of speeds, since I almost always get an HSPA+ connection with T-mo.

For outgoing calls, I have also tried using the Vonage Mobile app (and registered my GV number with it), and on quality, it beats the pants off of Talkatone, GrooveIP, etc. It's 3000 minutes free per month, but only works for outgoing calls.

All this being said, I don't use minutes all that much anyway. The vast majority of my communications over the phone is through texting or chat applications. My guess is that if I were to use no VoIP app, I would still have a pretty hard time going over 100 minutes on most months.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    I use Talkatone, and my experience with it seems to be different from most here. I actually find Talkatone having much less delay issues than GrooveIP. Either way, I have used Talkatone both over wifi and T-mo data, and wifi is definitely better, but that's mainly because of the latency issues with mobile data. It does work pretty well over a data connection though. I haven't got to test on all different kinds of speeds, since I almost always get an HSPA+ connection with T-mo.

For outgoing calls, I have also tried using the Vonage Mobile app (and registered my GV number with it), and on quality, it beats the pants off of Talkatone, GrooveIP, etc. It's 3000 minutes free per month, but only works for outgoing calls.

All this being said, I don't use minutes all that much anyway. The vast majority of my communications over the phone is through texting or chat applications. My guess is that if I were to use no VoIP app, I would still have a pretty hard time going over 100 minutes on most months.
    Thanks for the info!

The problem with GrooveIP is that it only has one quality/codec setting, so it takes about 1.2mb per minute of talk. The other VOIP apps can adjust for (or default to) lower bandwidths. I found that sipdroid doesn't adjust well, but if you manually change it to a lower codec (like speex 11kbit) it works well on a very slow connection.

Have you tried the one free call to a phone from Skype? I'd like to know how it compares to Vonage quality.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12