1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T iPhone 4 to Nexus 4

After reading several threads about using the Nexus 4 on AT&T, I am still a bit confused as to the steps I should take. I currently have an iPhone 4 on AT&T with the unlimited iPhone data plan. I would like to keep the unlimited plan, so I have the following questions:
    1. Can I first just take the SIM card out of my iPhone 4 and put it in the Nexus 4? Will I need to get them to give me a new SIM Card?
    2. If I can use the same SIM card, do I then need to call AT&T and change my plan to a unlimited 4G plan. (This is where I get confused)?

Thanks for any help on this.... this is my first android phone.

-Julia

Default Re: AT&T iPhone 4 to Nexus 4

No need to call AT&T. Just take the mirosim from the iPhone 4 and place it in the Nexus 4. Reboot to get the proper APN settings automatically

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paceywitter View Post
    No need to call AT&T. Just take the mirosim from the iPhone 4 and place it in the Nexus 4. Reboot to get the proper APN settings automatically
    I don't believe this is true. To get the correct HSPA+ speeds I believe you will have to change your plan from the iPhone unlimited data to the Smartphone unlimited data with 4G (HSPA+). I haven't tried it, but that is what I've been reading on the forum.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brett_f View Post
    I don't believe this is true. To get the correct HSPA+ speeds I believe you will have to change your plan from the iPhone unlimited data to the Smartphone unlimited data with 4G (HSPA+). I haven't tried it, but that is what I've been reading on the forum.
    Yeah. You might well have to call. Provisioning is kinda a PITA with them with all this stuff. Depends on what you have, and what you're trying to go to. Moving from an iPhone might well require a call, or swing by a store.

(And welcome to Android Central!)

Quote Originally Posted by paceywitter View Post
    This is what I did and everything works fine. I'm not as mobile savvy as everyone here, so maybe I'm not getting the speeds I should be, but everything works as expected. Under device settings I see "HSPA:10" under 'Mobile Network Type'. There's LTE in my market (South Florida), but I don't know if the fastest HSPA is available here or not. Coming from an iPhone 4 myself (3G) it seems every bit as fast as it should.

This is me too. I am gonna go in to att and see what they say.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks everyone for the replies. Just to update, I just put the SIM card from my iPhone 4 into the Nexus 4 and it seems to be working fine. I made sure that the APN settings were as indicated on several of the threads and I seem to be getting good speeds. I get the little + sign and I ran the speedtest.net app that everyone seems to be using and I am getting about 9Mbps down and 5Mbps up here in Tampa, FL. This is completely acceptable to me, especially since I did not need to contact anyone at AT&T or go in.

-Julia

I live in Tampa and getting slow speeds 3 down and. 5 up. I'm moving from a galaxy note 2.

Quote Originally Posted by julia813 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Just to update, I just put the SIM card from my iPhone 4 into the Nexus 4 and it seems to be working fine. I made sure that the APN settings were as indicated on several of the threads and I seem to be getting good speeds. I get the little + sign and I ran the speedtest.net app that everyone seems to be using and I am getting about 9Mbps down and 5Mbps up here in Tampa, FL. This is completely acceptable to me, especially since I did not need to contact anyone at AT&T or go in.

-Julia