No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Got my Nexus 4 in the mail today and plugged in my SIM. I am on ATT coming from an S3. For some reason I cannot talk on the phone and use mobile data at the same time. If I am on the phone, it tells me I have no data connection. I have never had a problem with this before using an iPhone or the S3.

Note: I did change my APN settings to the ones recommended by some users on the forum.

What gives? Any ideas?

Xelion

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Data and calls work for me at the same time. I don't know if this is the reason, but when I went to ATT to get my new sim card, they needed the IMEI number. I was told it was so I could use my data plan. No idea if its true.

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Data and calls work for me at the same time. I don't know if this is the reason, but when I went to ATT to get my new sim card, they needed the IMEI number. I was told it was so I could use my data plan. No idea if its true.

So after messing around with my APN settings a bit I do have it working. My speeds normally are around 3-6 download. However, when I'm on a call they drop down to like 500 kbs or lower. So I basically cant load any pages, or it takes me quite a while to.

I am switching from an S3 so I have an lte data plan. When I called ATT and gave them my IMEI, they told me it is a 2g phone and could only put a 2g plan on it...

I am a little disappointed because on my previous androids and iphones I could always talk and surf, and now I can't. I really need this functionality in order to work, etc.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

Did they put you on a basic smartphone plan or a 4g plan? And did you change your APN settings or use he default

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Did they put you on a basic smartphone plan or a 4g plan? And did you change your APN settings or use he default

I am on the 4g plan that I've had since buying my GS3. The default APN settings worked for mobile data (cingular.wap or something), but not for data while on a call, but they were very slow.

Xelion

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So after messing around with my APN settings a bit I do have it working. My speeds normally are around 3-6 download. However, when I'm on a call they drop down to like 500 kbs or lower. So I basically cant load any pages, or it takes me quite a while to.

I am switching from an S3 so I have an lte data plan. When I called ATT and gave them my IMEI, they told me it is a 2g phone and could only put a 2g plan on it...

I am a little disappointed because on my previous androids and iphones I could always talk and surf, and now I can't. I really need this functionality in order to work, etc.

It is still unlimited 4g. I had this same plan on my HTC inspire 4g, so nothing had to change. Although, when I went in and they said they needed to activate my phone, I made it very clear that I wanted nothing changed to my plan. No contract renewal. No nothing. Just a sim card that would work. She said that's all she was doing anyways. It is slow while on my phone when I'm talking, so I'm not sure what that is about. Also, if you have to upgrade your data plan, then good luck keeping unlimited if that's what you have.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
It is still unlimited 4g. I had this same plan on my HTC inspire 4g, so nothing had to change. Although, when I went in and they said they needed to activate my phone, I made it very clear that I wanted nothing changed to my plan. No contract renewal. No nothing. Just a sim card that would work. She said that's all she was doing anyways. It is slow while on my phone when I'm talking, so I'm not sure what that is about. Also, if you have to upgrade your data plan, then good luck keeping unlimited if that's what you have.

What APN setting did you use

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Xelion

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
What APN setting did you use

Default.

Name: ATT WAP
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
Port: 80
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: cingulargprs.com
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS port: not set
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enabled
Bearer: unspecified

Last edited:

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Default.

Name: ATT WAP
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
Port: 80
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: cingulargprs.com
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS port: not set
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enabled
Bearer: unspecified

Well that could be one problem.. Your using basic smartphone setting which are actually wrong... Did you make sure they changed your plan to the proper smartphone 4G plan?

Here's a screenshot of the proper settings, I've seen some people giving out the wrong settings to people on here..

Create a new APN and use these settings.. Then make sure you click the circle on the right to select it after you save it and back out... Then restart your phone

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354895147276.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354895147276.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 15
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354895160659.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354895160659.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 14
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354895181135.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354895181135.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 14

Xelion

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Well that could be one problem.. Your using basic smartphone setting which are actually wrong... Did you make sure they changed your plan to the proper smartphone 4G plan?

Here's a screenshot of the proper settings, I've seen some people giving out the wrong settings to people on here..

Create a new APN and use these settings.. Then make sure you click the circle on the right to select it after you save it and back out... Then restart your phone

I'm not having a problem other than slower data while talking on the phone. But that seems better than no data while talking. Will changing my APN cause that? And I'm pretty sure I have the 4g smartphone data plan. It doesn't specifically say 4g, but it says my data plan required unlimited data before upgrading to the 4g device. Pics below.

Edit: Well speedtest works now. Forgot to mention that. It would show 0 download and ~1mbps upload. Now it shows 5.3mpbs download. So I guess those APN settings make some difference. Thanks! Limited testing seems to show data only working during phone calls when the other person isn't speaking. But it could just be weird timing.

5Rex8.png

YX4zb.png

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not having a problem other than slower data while talking on the phone. But that seems better than no data while talking. Will changing my APN cause that? And I'm pretty sure I have the 4g smartphone data plan. It doesn't specifically say 4g, but it says my data plan required unlimited data before upgrading to the 4g device. Pics below.

Edit: Well speedtest works now. Forgot to mention that. It would show 0 download and ~1mbps upload. Now it shows 5.3mpbs download. So I guess those APN settings make some difference. Thanks! Limited testing seems to show data only working during phone calls when the other person isn't speaking. But it could just be weird timing.

http://i.imgur.com/5Rex8.png
http://i.imgur.com/YX4zb.png

Yes the APN setting make a huge difference, and your not on a 4 G plan that's a basic smartphone plan, which will only give you HSPA not hspa+... you need to get them to switch it to a 4g HSPA+ smartphone plan... for some reason when the nexus imei is entered into the system at att it only pulls up a basic smartphone plan.. the basic CS rep will prob have issues with this, higher tier reps have the ability to just change plans at will, or managers at att corporate stores...once you get the right plan provisioned you speeds will likely almost double... I've seen 8.89DL on mine at my house...

Joel_Urano

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a tablet from China on the AT&T 3G network? I have a sim on a 3GB 4GLTE Tablet plan but can only get 2G throughput. Thoughts?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1