1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 1 amp or 2.1 amp charging for my N4?

I have a SCOSCHE usbc202m VOLT c2 - Dual 10 Watt (2.1A) USB Car Charger.
    My question is should I be using a 1amp charger vs the 2.1 amp? Can anything affect the phone or the phone battery life, performance, etc.... by using the 2.1amp charger over time?

Amazon.com: SCOSCHE usbc202m VOLT c2 - Dual 10 Watt (2.1A) USB Car Charger - Car Charger - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Default Re: 1 amp or 2.1 amp charging for my N4?

I did research on the net for this. I got a 2.1 usb charger for my car and it charges my n4 in ac mode. This means it charges faster than the usb mode.

My understanding is that having a higher amp rate is ok since the device will only draw how much it needs from the charger. A lower amp rate is also ok but the phone would charge very slowly or not at all if the phone is consuming lots of power.

Get the 2.1, faster charge and works with more device as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

a lot of these 2.1 charger only charge ipad at 2.1. If you plug in a non ipad device, it charges at 0.5. I got a car charger that has dual port also, a 2.1 and 1 amp. The 1 amp charges fine, my n4 been charging at pretty good speed, but the 2.1 doesn't. I read couple of the reviews, seems like this one is the same.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

i'm using my Blackberry charger

Quote Originally Posted by klau25 View Post
    a lot of these 2.1 charger only charge ipad at 2.1. If you plug in a non ipad device, it charges at 0.5. I got a car charger that has dual port also, a 2.1 and 1 amp. The 1 amp charges fine, my n4 been charging at pretty good speed, but the 2.1 doesn't. I read couple of the reviews, seems like this one is the same.

Still waiting on my N4 (coming in Monday), but I initially had the same issue with my N7 - some 2.1 chargers it recognized as AC, some it didn't. There's actually a small wire adapter with which all 2.1A chargers I've tried will work with my N7 (it came with a New Trent external battery pack), so I assume there's just some sort of difference in pin configuration in those normally incompatible chargers that can be reverted and that it'll work with the N4 as well.

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    Still waiting on my N4 (coming in Monday), but I initially had the same issue with my N7 - some 2.1 chargers it recognized as AC, some it didn't. There's actually a small wire adapter with which all 2.1A chargers I've tried will work with my N7 (it came with a New Trent external battery pack), so I assume there's just some sort of difference in pin configuration in those normally incompatible chargers that can be reverted and that it'll work with the N4 as well.
    yeah, I think I read somewhere that it's because the ipad will short in of the pin? something like that, so the charger will recognize it and send 2.1a.