Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone using Skype to call landlines/mobiles over TMobile/AT&T data connection?

I'm looking through all the VOIP options for using my Nexus 4 on TMobile's $30/month data-only plan. So far, GrooveIP, Sipdroid and talkatone have not been great options. The quality is pretty poor with all of them. So has anyone used Skype and found it to be good quality?

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Default Re: Anyone using Skype to call landlines/mobiles over TMobile/AT&T data connection?

I haven't used Skype but have been using Vonage Mobile recently using Straight Talk data connection (AT&T compatible SIM) with pretty good results. It only works for outgoing calls (as far as I can tell) but the calls have been very clear on my end and I haven't had any major complaints from the people I was talking to.

Default Re: Anyone using Skype to call landlines/mobiles over TMobile/AT&T data connection?

I have used Skype with my N7 & it worked fine. Don't have my N4 yet.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by dsneedmd View Post
    I have used Skype with my N7 & it worked fine. Don't have my N4 yet.
    did you call other phones or just other Skype apps? how do if the petiole say the call quality was?

I would just love to be able to move over to a data only plan and dump call plans, but because it's mission critical for my biz, I just can't do it unless I see it is seamless and doesn't have that delayed effect. I think it would be a perfectly great way to go as a personal use only type phone though.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    I would just love to be able to move over to a data only plan and dump call plans, but because it's mission critical for my biz, I just can't do it unless I see it is seamless and doesn't have that delayed effect. I think it would be a perfectly great way to go as a personal use only type phone though.
    This is just a guess but if the rumors are true that Google's going to partner with DISH on a wireless LTE network, I think they'll do data only with a specially configured/optimized VOIP plan on it (but that's 3-4 years away).
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

So...anyone using skype to call non-skype phones?

I have. They work great on WiFi and decent on mobile data. However I think I prefer Vonage. Its just as good maybe better, and it displays your actual number when making outbound calls.

GrooVe IP's working great for me. Usually use it on WiFi only but on T-Mobile's HSPA+ around NYC it sounds great, too.
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~
    ~~~WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5~~~

I called my home phone(Magic Jack) & my wife's cell both were good.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    did you call other phones or just other Skype apps? how do if the petiole say the call quality was?

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

I use groove in and it seems that work ok on wifi from the phone but I get an echo from the tablet. I don't think it's ready for prime time yet. I'm in construction so I'm a heavy phone user during the day.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by dsneedmd View Post
    I called my home phone(Magic Jack) & my wife's cell both were good.
    Thanks, I have a few questions:

1. Have you also used GrooveIP or sipdroid or talkatone? If so, how's the quality compared to that?
    2. How would your wife describe the quality when hearing you?
    3. What connection did you do this over? (Speed of download/upload and was it data or wifi?)

Thanks!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    I use groove in and it seems that work ok on wifi from the phone but I get an echo from the tablet. I don't think it's ready for prime time yet. I'm in construction so I'm a heavy phone user during the day.
    There are settings in GrooveIP to deal with echos. Try those out - it fixed it for me.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Does Skype eat your battery? I haven't used skype at all in the past few days and it still says it's used 10% of my battery!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Have you tried skype?

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

There are settings in GrooveIP to deal with echos. Try those out - it fixed it for me.
    Excellent. I didn't know I gotta check it out.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

Have you tried skype?
    Yeah I did. That worked pretty good but I didn't want a different number so I didn't stay with it.

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Yeah I did. That worked pretty good but I didn't want a different number so I didn't stay with it.

What was the quality like compared to grooveip? (for you and the person you were talking to?)

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

What was the quality like compared to grooveip? (for you and the person you were talking to?)
    I called my wife and she didn't complain. Every single time I try and call her with groove up she complains that there is an echo. With that said I am trying the echo settings to see if that clears up the echo problem.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I called my wife and she didn't complain. Every single time I try and call her with groove up she complains that there is an echo. With that said I am trying the echo settings to see if that clears up the echo problem.

Skype is the only one that people I call don't complain about. I haven't tried it on a limited connection yet though.

Call quality over slow connection depends on what audio codec the app uses. Search silk, speex, g729, g711.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
    Call quality over slow connection depends on what audio codec the app uses. Search silk, speex, g729, g711.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    I did use speex and it was OK but not great.