Anyone using Skype to call landlines/mobiles over TMobile/AT&T data connection?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking through all the VOIP options for using my Nexus 4 on TMobile's $30/month data-only plan. So far, GrooveIP, Sipdroid and talkatone have not been great options. The quality is pretty poor with all of them. So has anyone used Skype and found it to be good quality?

Boregardo

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used Skype but have been using Vonage Mobile recently using Straight Talk data connection (AT&T compatible SIM) with pretty good results. It only works for outgoing calls (as far as I can tell) but the calls have been very clear on my end and I haven't had any major complaints from the people I was talking to.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I would just love to be able to move over to a data only plan and dump call plans, but because it's mission critical for my biz, I just can't do it unless I see it is seamless and doesn't have that delayed effect. I think it would be a perfectly great way to go as a personal use only type phone though.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I would just love to be able to move over to a data only plan and dump call plans, but because it's mission critical for my biz, I just can't do it unless I see it is seamless and doesn't have that delayed effect. I think it would be a perfectly great way to go as a personal use only type phone though.

This is just a guess but if the rumors are true that Google's going to partner with DISH on a wireless LTE network, I think they'll do data only with a specially configured/optimized VOIP plan on it (but that's 3-4 years away).

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have. They work great on WiFi and decent on mobile data. However I think I prefer Vonage. Its just as good maybe better, and it displays your actual number when making outbound calls.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I use groove in and it seems that work ok on wifi from the phone but I get an echo from the tablet. I don't think it's ready for prime time yet. I'm in construction so I'm a heavy phone user during the day.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Skype to call landlines/mobiles over TMobile/AT&T data connection?

I called my home phone(Magic Jack) & my wife's cell both were good.

Thanks, I have a few questions:

1. Have you also used GrooveIP or sipdroid or talkatone? If so, how's the quality compared to that?
2. How would your wife describe the quality when hearing you?
3. What connection did you do this over? (Speed of download/upload and was it data or wifi?)

Thanks!

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I use groove in and it seems that work ok on wifi from the phone but I get an echo from the tablet. I don't think it's ready for prime time yet. I'm in construction so I'm a heavy phone user during the day.

There are settings in GrooveIP to deal with echos. Try those out - it fixed it for me.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Does Skype eat your battery? I haven't used skype at all in the past few days and it still says it's used 10% of my battery!

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I did. That worked pretty good but I didn't want a different number so I didn't stay with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

What was the quality like compared to grooveip? (for you and the person you were talking to?)

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
What was the quality like compared to grooveip? (for you and the person you were talking to?)

I called my wife and she didn't complain. Every single time I try and call her with groove up she complains that there is an echo. With that said I am trying the echo settings to see if that clears up the echo problem.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I called my wife and she didn't complain. Every single time I try and call her with groove up she complains that there is an echo. With that said I am trying the echo settings to see if that clears up the echo problem.

Skype is the only one that people I call don't complain about. I haven't tried it on a limited connection yet though.