Nexus 4 charging habits

futureandroider

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Those who are babying your phones, is it bad to leave the phone plugged in over night? What do you do to keep your battery "healthy"? I heard not charging to 100% and keeping it between 50%-85% always is ideal but I don't see how someone can keep checking on a charge making sure it doesnt hit 100

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The phone has a software lock that cuts off charging once the battery is full, you can leave it plugged in as long you want.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
The phone has a software lock that cuts off charging once the battery is full, you can leave it plugged in as long you want.

Not trying to call you out at all, but can others confirm this?

I've always wondered if that were the case, would be comforting to know for sure.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to call you out at all, but can others confirm this?

I've always wondered if that were the case, would be comforting to know for sure.

I can.. Most newer devices do... And whoever said to keep your battery between 30-85% is a idiot... At least once or twice a week you should run it down to 5-10% and fully charge it... Your gonna have pretty piss poor battery life if your trying to stay between 30-85

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
My charging habits are why I don't sweat N4 battery issues. Since my flip phone days I'd plug my phone in when I could since I'd have it all day at school or work, the last battery I remember having where there might have been a danger of over charging was an Ericsson brick with maybe twenty minutes of talk time when T-Mobile was Omnipoint (I hope every customer service rep for OmniPoint was tarred, feathered and fired)... and, of course, pre-VoiceStream.

Uhhh, yeah, charge it all you want. I carry around my charger with me...

swartzz

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Most newer devices cuts off charging once the device gets to %100. Some other devices just shows 100% charge on the device but is probably at something like 97-98% and then slows the charging process down significantly to avoid over-charging.

cinek

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
the only time I can charge it without unplugging it every few mins is at night, so it stays plugged in all the time. Done this too with my iphones - never had any issues

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Since my beloved OG Evo, I have always just plugged the phone in at night and unplugged in the morning. Sometimes I'll pop it in the car charger if I know I'll be driving around for a bit, just to give it a boost during the day. I've never "conditioned" a battery although I have drained them to less than 10% before (and tend to do so with regular use once a week or so) and have not had battery problems because of this.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I take mine off the charger at 6am. Get to work at 8 with only 70% remaining :O (I listen to music on it for my hour commute) plug it in at work for an hour or so, use it at lunch. Plug it in for another hour or so and then plug it in at 11PM. Kinda wish this thing stayed alive longer.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I take mine off the charger at 6am. Get to work at 8 with only 70% remaining :O (I listen to music on it for my hour commute) plug it in at work for an hour or so, use it at lunch. Plug it in for another hour or so and then plug it in at 11PM. Kinda wish this thing stayed alive longer.

Is the music stored on your device (a) , or in the cloud (b)? If you are using Google's PlayMusic app, the default is cloud storage, I believe.

Do you have your display set to turn off while listening to music (a), or does it stay on (b)?

If you answered (a) to both questions, then I am surprised you are going through so much battery during a one-hour commute. If you answered (b) to either, well then, there's your problem! as the MythBusters would say.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Is the music stored on your device (a) , or in the cloud (b)? If you are using Google's PlayMusic app, the default is cloud storage, I believe.

Do you have your display set to turn off while listening to music (a), or does it stay on (b)?

If you answered (a) to both questions, then I am surprised you are going through so much battery during a one-hour commute. If you answered (b) to either, well then, there's your problem! as the MythBusters would say.

Haha. I'm using Spotify but am only listening to the music I've downloaded to the device, not streaming and yes, my screen is always turned off unless I'm looking at it for something. I also get in about 10 mins of reading news using Flipboard before I walk into work but still, that's a lot of drainage.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of batteries, Gizmodo has a lengthy article on the history of batteries and various types. Included in the discussion of Li-ion batteries is this interesting tidbit:
Since the resistance build-up gets worse the more the battery discharges and rapidly degrades the cell's capacity, regularly topping off the charge is the easiest way to maximize your battery's operational life. That's not to say the battery should perpetually be kept at its maximum charge voltage, quite the opposite in fact?all secondary batteries outside of the lead acid variety require a period of rest after charging to prevent undue stress.
So apparently constant full discharges can actually shorten your battery's overall life.

futureandroider

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
all secondary batteries outside of the lead acid variety require a period of rest after charging to prevent undue stress.

So apparently constant full discharges can actually shorten your battery's overall life.

According to all of the posts in this thread, we can safely assume that the phone's software automtically gives our batteries this "period of rest"?

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 4 has a Lithium polymer, Lithium polymer is less prone to overcharging issues so you should be fine.
Also as stated above the software I do believe cuts off the charging when its 100% my old brick of a phone waits till its dropped to 95% before it will continue again.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of batteries, Gizmodo has a lengthy article on the history of batteries and various types. Included in the discussion of Li-ion batteries is this interesting tidbit:

Yes - this is what I can gather on the latest battery tech = the only really bad thing you can do to them is let them discharge to 0 too many times. Recharge them full as often as you like.

futureandroider

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Read two interesting points from batteryuniversity

Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.
A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

cynicist

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the thing is you can't really overcharge these batteries because once they hit 100% they automatically stop charging and begin to trickle charge. That's why you can see your phone at 96-99% when you take it off of the charger even though you left it plugged in overnight.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1