Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 charging habits

Those who are babying your phones, is it bad to leave the phone plugged in over night? What do you do to keep your battery "healthy"? I heard not charging to 100% and keeping it between 50%-85% always is ideal but I don't see how someone can keep checking on a charge making sure it doesnt hit 100

Default Re: Nexus 4 charging habits

it doesnt matter. battery has got lot better these days. charge it full and dont over charge it. its all the same.

that and you can charge it while you sleep no problem.. batterys have become smarter.

The phone has a software lock that cuts off charging once the battery is full, you can leave it plugged in as long you want.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    palitsyn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    The phone has a software lock that cuts off charging once the battery is full, you can leave it plugged in as long you want.

Not trying to call you out at all, but can others confirm this?

I've always wondered if that were the case, would be comforting to know for sure.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post

I've always wondered if that were the case, would be comforting to know for sure.
    Exactly why I made this thread haha

Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post

I can.. Most newer devices do... And whoever said to keep your battery between 30-85% is a *****... At least once or twice a week you should run it down to 5-10% and fully charge it... Your gonna have pretty **** poor battery life if your trying to stay between 30-85

My charging habits are why I don't sweat N4 battery issues. Since my flip phone days I'd plug my phone in when I could since I'd have it all day at school or work, the last battery I remember having where there might have been a danger of over charging was an Ericsson brick with maybe twenty minutes of talk time when T-Mobile was Omnipoint (I hope every customer service rep for OmniPoint was tarred, feathered and fired)... and, of course, pre-VoiceStream.

Uhhh, yeah, charge it all you want. I carry around my charger with me...
    •°•WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5•°•

Most newer devices cuts off charging once the device gets to %100. Some other devices just shows 100% charge on the device but is probably at something like 97-98% and then slows the charging process down significantly to avoid over-charging.

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

the only time I can charge it without unplugging it every few mins is at night, so it stays plugged in all the time. Done this too with my iphones - never had any issues

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Since my beloved OG Evo, I have always just plugged the phone in at night and unplugged in the morning. Sometimes I'll pop it in the car charger if I know I'll be driving around for a bit, just to give it a boost during the day. I've never "conditioned" a battery although I have drained them to less than 10% before (and tend to do so with regular use once a week or so) and have not had battery problems because of this.

I take mine off the charger at 6am. Get to work at 8 with only 70% remaining :O (I listen to music on it for my hour commute) plug it in at work for an hour or so, use it at lunch. Plug it in for another hour or so and then plug it in at 11PM. Kinda wish this thing stayed alive longer.

Quote Originally Posted by guinnkevinr View Post
    I take mine off the charger at 6am. Get to work at 8 with only 70% remaining :O (I listen to music on it for my hour commute) plug it in at work for an hour or so, use it at lunch. Plug it in for another hour or so and then plug it in at 11PM. Kinda wish this thing stayed alive longer.
    Is the music stored on your device (a) , or in the cloud (b)? If you are using Google's PlayMusic app, the default is cloud storage, I believe.

Do you have your display set to turn off while listening to music (a), or does it stay on (b)?

If you answered (a) to both questions, then I am surprised you are going through so much battery during a one-hour commute. If you answered (b) to either, well then, there's your problem! as the MythBusters would say.

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Is the music stored on your device (a) , or in the cloud (b)? If you are using Google's PlayMusic app, the default is cloud storage, I believe.

Do you have your display set to turn off while listening to music (a), or does it stay on (b)?

If you answered (a) to both questions, then I am surprised you are going through so much battery during a one-hour commute. If you answered (b) to either, well then, there's your problem! as the MythBusters would say.
    Haha. I'm using Spotify but am only listening to the music I've downloaded to the device, not streaming and yes, my screen is always turned off unless I'm looking at it for something. I also get in about 10 mins of reading news using Flipboard before I walk into work but still, that's a lot of drainage.

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Speaking of batteries, Gizmodo has a lengthy and various types. Included in the discussion of Li-ion batteries is this interesting tidbit:
    Since the resistance build-up gets worse the more the battery discharges and rapidly degrades the cell's capacity, regularly topping off the charge is the easiest way to maximize your battery's operational life. That's not to say the battery should perpetually be kept at its maximum charge voltage, quite the opposite in fact—all secondary batteries outside of the lead acid variety require a period of rest after charging to prevent undue stress.
    So apparently constant full discharges can actually shorten your battery's overall life.
    fayaz02 likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    all secondary batteries outside of the lead acid variety require a period of rest after charging to prevent undue stress.

So apparently constant full discharges can actually shorten your battery's overall life.

According to all of the posts in this thread, we can safely assume that the phone's software automtically gives our batteries this "period of rest"?

Nexus 4 has a Lithium polymer, Lithium polymer is less prone to overcharging issues so you should be fine.
    Also as stated above the software I do believe cuts off the charging when its 100% my old brick of a phone waits till its dropped to 95% before it will continue again.
    » Tom Fairclough «
    » Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae «
    » I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune «

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    Speaking of batteries, Gizmodo has a lengthy and various types. Included in the discussion of Li-ion batteries is this interesting tidbit:

Yes - this is what I can gather on the latest battery tech = the only really bad thing you can do to them is let them discharge to 0 too many times. Recharge them full as often as you like.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Read two interesting points from batteryuniversity

Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.
    A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

Yeah the thing is you can't really overcharge these batteries because once they hit 100% they automatically stop charging and begin to trickle charge. That's why you can see your phone at 96-99% when you take it off of the charger even though you left it plugged in overnight.

Hi I have nexus4 for 20 days my mobile has never given 1 day full battery back up . since not none of my friends have same phone compare or check .is it same with all other nexus4 phones ?????!!!!!!. Q2.. How to check my battery health
    Q3. What should be nexuz 4 charging habits.

Q4 .when ever I connect my phone to system in switch off mode . it shows battery charging symbol . same happens when I unplug the cable from system !! Is it something wrong with my battery please help me . and I am from India. My friend this phone in us . its not yet realized in India......

So from what I have read, and correct me if I am wrong, it is not good to let the nexus 4 completely die and then recharge it to its fully capacity?

I wish I would have known that.
    I have been doing this since I bought the phone in january. I am very particular about new phones and I came from a nokia flip phone so it has been quite a transition.
    I hope I didn't ruin a battery that can't be replaced.

I guess from now on I will just charge it whenever I can.

My phone lasts 2 days on the lowest brightness setting. I also keep it turned off when I am at work.

Anyway to test a battery to see if it has substantially depleted?

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by futureandroider View Post
    Those who are babying your phones, is it bad to leave the phone plugged in over night? What do you do to keep your battery "healthy"? I heard not charging to 100% and keeping it between 50%-85% always is ideal but I don't see how someone can keep checking on a charge making sure it doesnt hit 100
    Due to Google's retarded decision not to allow us to upgrade the battery, I pretty much keep it plugged in 24/7. I charge it whenever possible.

I don't think it is possible to overcharge batteries anymore. You should be able to keep it plugged in indefinitely.

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by sleepinghouse View Post
    I hope I didn't ruin a battery that can't be replaced.
    It can be replaced. Just not quickly or easily. You can even do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepinghouse View Post
    My phone lasts 2 days on the lowest brightness setting. I also keep it turned off when I am at work.
    My HTC Rezound used to go 2 days on a charge. Without turning anything down. It was awesome. I miss extended batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    It can be replaced. Just not quickly or easily. You can even do it yourself.

This is awesome.
    Cheers JeffDenver.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast