Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By teleclimber
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default No undo function on Android?

    Did some search on the internet and it appears there is no 'undo' button or shortcut for android.

    Am I terribly bad at using Google or is it really android has not got 'undo' function?

    Thanks all!

    Sent from my Nexus 4
  2. #2  

    Default Re: No undo function on Android?

    Undo what?

    I don't think I have ever seen much in the way of undo functions on mobile devices, however some do exist. For example, in the GMail app when you deleete a message you have a brief opportunity to tap an Undo button to restore it to the Inbox.

    Also, if you purchase an app such as QuickOffice, you will find that it has many Undo/Redo functions just as you would find in Microsoft Word or Excel.
  3. #3  
    Exergy's Avatar

    Posts
    169 Posts
    Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

    Default Re: No undo function on Android?

    Do you mean undo of what you've typed in a message? You could shake an iPhone and undo the text that was just typed but I don't think that's a function on Androids. Plus the backspace works perfectly fine too.
    Blackberry Bold 9000 > Google Nexus One > Samsung Captivate > iPhone 4 > iPhone4s ... Nexus 4
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default No undo function on Android?

    Quote Originally Posted by Exergy View Post
    Do you mean undo of what you've typed in a message? You could shake an iPhone and undo the text that was just typed but I don't think that's a function on Androids. Plus the backspace works perfectly fine too.
    Yes I meant undo some text I deleted by accident. So this is not possible on android then?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default No undo function on Android?

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Undo what?

    I don't think I have ever seen much in the way of undo functions on mobile devices, however some do exist. For example, in the GMail app when you deleete a message you have a brief opportunity to tap an Undo button to restore it to the Inbox.

    Also, if you purchase an app such as QuickOffice, you will find that it has many Undo/Redo functions just as you would find in Microsoft Word or Excel.
    Sorry for being unclear, I meant undo deleted text, for example I deleted some text in an email by accident and I want to recover the deleted text. is it possible?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: No undo function on Android?

    Quote Originally Posted by hankdu View Post
    Sorry for being unclear, I meant undo deleted text, for example I deleted some text in an email by accident and I want to recover the deleted text. is it possible?
    Interesting thought. I've never seen or heard of anything like this, but that would be a feature I could have definitely used once or twice.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default No undo function on Android?

    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    Interesting thought. I've never seen or heard of anything like this, but that would be a feature I could have definitely used once or twice.
    This is the one function I actually do miss when I moved from iPhone to android. It's possible on ios devices.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: No undo function on Android?

    For Android people who had not heard of this:

    Daily Tip: How to undo typing, deleting, cutting, pasting, etc. on iPhone | iMore.com

    I just tried on an iPhone 4 I have laying around and it works well.

    I think the "shake the phone" gesture is a little too dorky for my taste, but an undo function on Android would be welcome.

    Maybe via the keyboard? perhaps a 2- or 3-finger swipe across the keys is undo/redo depending on the direction of the swipe?
    Thanked by:
    TomsAndroid likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: No undo function on Android?

    Quote Originally Posted by teleclimber View Post
    For Android people who had not heard of this:

    Daily Tip: How to undo typing, deleting, cutting, pasting, etc. on iPhone | iMore.com

    I just tried on an iPhone 4 I have laying around and it works well.

    I think the "shake the phone" gesture is a little too dorky for my taste, but an undo function on Android would be welcome.

    Maybe via the keyboard? perhaps a 2- or 3-finger swipe across the keys is undo/redo depending on the direction of the swipe?
    Possibly. I'd take a look at 3rd party keyboards in the Play Store for an undo feature.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: No undo function on Android? NOPE

    You can undo with an iPhone or windoze phone, or any PC made in the last decade, but no Android has ever been able to UNDO. Particularly with the dreadful predictive keyboard, you'll be facepalming all the time.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: No undo function on Android? NOPE

    If you delete text by using the highlight and cut method then you can always paste the text back. As for deleting text I'm not sure how you are deleting it unless you are using the back key or a non-stock keyboard with a delete key.
    Galaxy Note II 16GB white unlocked and Galaxy Note 10.1 grey version GT-N8013 not rooted
    Linux user #449322 running Linux Mint 13 KDE
  12. #12  

    Default Re: No undo function on Android?

    Quote Originally Posted by teleclimber View Post
    For Android people who had not heard of this:

    Daily Tip: How to undo typing, deleting, cutting, pasting, etc. on iPhone | iMore.com


    I just tried on an iPhone 4 I have laying around and it works well.

    I think the "shake the phone" gesture is a little too dorky for my taste, but an undo function on Android would be welcome.

    Maybe via the keyboard? perhaps a 2- or 3-finger swipe across the keys is undo/redo depending on the direction of the swipe?


    LOL at that article being a couple months old and acting like it's a radical new feature unique to iOS.
    My DROID X has had this since 2010. I'd really love to have it on my tablet if anyone knows an app for it!
  13. #13  
    bag-o-droid's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    ROM
    2.3.4 Gingerbread

    Default Re: No undo function on Android?

    My exact frustration, held the backspace key after typing a carefully worded message. Now just a blank screen shouting "type on me, type on me!"

    P.S. so we seriously need an undo/redo function for basic text input. Though I also have dragged and dropped icons from the screen into the trash by mistake - no prompts there either.

    EDIT: Galaxy S2, Jelly Bean 4.1.2
  14. #14  

    Default Re: No undo function on Android?

    Android is able to do it, it's up to the application to implement that feature. If not use a different one.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: No undo function on Android?

    Quote Originally Posted by Levolent com View Post
    LOL at that article being a couple months old and acting like it's a radical new feature unique to iOS.
    Well, it's a couple years old. But anyway, my iPod touch from 2009 does this, so it's definitely not a radical new feature.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: No undo function on Android?

    I just found via . It has undo/redo as long-press keys among other useful features, such as cursor keys (available as extra page and as long-press keys).

    @someguy01234 Could you please elaborate on how this works? From what I've found on google so far I figured that Android had no standard Undo API and without a standard API of course many apps and keyboards in particular won't implement such.

    As far as I know, basic one- or three-step undo works in text fields in Windows and Linux without the Program having to implement it when using the Ctrl+Z hotkey and on iOS too it seems to be available anywhere I can write text. On the iPad at least, there are dedicated Undo/Redo keys on the virtual keyboard. So it really looked more like an omission on the side of Android's text-field/keyboard APIs rather than the apps to me.

    It is a bit like telling App developers "you have to implement copy/paste yourself".
  17. #17  

    Default Re: No undo function on Android?

    nice ...
    almost everybody's acting so reserved and mysterious in here!
    not even those who appear to do know the answer to the question are willing to give it away!?
    and to access the links in the last comment one has to register too?
    yet another account registration in the chaotic cyberspace ...
    how so helpfully fabulous!
    Last edited by deroada; 02-05-2014 at 10:33 PM.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: No undo function on Android?

    Unfortunately, android OS doesn't have the functionality inbuilt. Apps needs to implement this function for their edit areas. Since this has been raised as a feature request to android folks long long time ago and nothing has happened yet, this mostly would not happen. If you are looking for note taking apps with undo/redo options, you could try Sec Notes-


    In fact a lot of the newer productivity apps have their own versions of undo/redo buttons.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: No undo function on Android?

    Who knows how much is lawyers and how much is egos? One way or another Google and Apple have a "They do, so we won't" mentality that would embarrass a three-year-old. Anybody who isn't terminally contrary must recognize that a good user interface needs a global undo function. The ridiculous amount of time I spend backspacing over garbled speech-to-text results is one of the main reasons I'm moving back to an iPhone.

Similar Threads

  1. Is there STILL really no way to watch iTunes movies on Android?
    By Stang68 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 12:41 PM
  2. Using the Gmail VOIP function on Android?
    By dishe in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 05:31 PM
  3. Does orbitz.com full site function on Android?
    By Chrisy in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 09:03 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 09:03 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 09:53 PM

Posting Permissions

B