Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Default Nexus 4 autofocus problem - won't let me to take a pic

Hi all,

I gave up on searching about this issue and reading other folks having the same problem, and decided to pose the question here.

Every time I try to take a picture, the phone won't focus (so the viewfinder/crossair won't turn green) and I can't take any picture. The way I solve this is to shut the app down and restart - sometimes it takes several attempts. Also sometimes I switch to video mode and back to still, and it is able to autofocus. Some users of these forums have mentioned about the autofocus, but I haven't seen people talk about inability to take a picture, and to be honest, I don't know if they are related.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? I'd hate to send this back to T-Mobile just yet.

Lev

Default Re: Nexus 4 autofocus problem - won't let me to take a pic

Have you done the obvious things first - reboot the phone, or worst case do a factory reset?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Stock

Also check to make sure nothing is covering up the lens or anywhere around the lens. I realize it doesn't make a whole lot of sense because it does eventually focus when fiddling with software, but always check the hardware.

As previous stated try rebooting it and if you have a case then remove it. Clean the camera too and then try a picture (with the case off)

Quote Originally Posted by lev.b View Post
    Hi all,

I gave up on searching about this issue and reading other folks having the same problem, and decided to pose the question here.

Every time I try to take a picture, the phone won't focus (so the viewfinder/crossair won't turn green) and I can't take any picture. The way I solve this is to shut the app down and restart - sometimes it takes several attempts. Also sometimes I switch to video mode and back to still, and it is able to autofocus. Some users of these forums have mentioned about the autofocus, but I haven't seen people talk about inability to take a picture, and to be honest, I don't know if they are related.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? I'd hate to send this back to T-Mobile just yet.

Lev

That was happening to me. I updated my phone and it worked fine. I guess that also means you should do a reboot or factory reset if you have already updated your phone

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

That's weird.Mine doesnt have this problem

360 dgree mobile - Flashing rom is passion360 dgree mobile, place for knowing all things about your mobile

Just had this happen to me last night. Didn't really mess around much trying to solve it but rebooted and everything was back to normal.

That's the odd thing I learned about smart phones since my BlackBerry (first smartphone and last BlackBerry), they should be rebooted about once a week or something's bound to start acting funny.
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~
    ~~~WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5~~~

I went to take a picture the other day. It was a relatively low light situation but the camera preview showed nothing but really dark background; I couldn't make out any detail at all. I was, like, what the heck??

I sure felt stupid when I realized that I was holding the phone upside down (in portrait orientation) and my palm was covering the lens.

But, to be fair, the N4 has no obvious shape cues (especially tactile) to tell you which end is up and which is down, and most apps (including the camera) will rotate fully 180 deg if you hold the phone upside down so, again, nothing to say "turn the phone over, stupid!"