View Poll Results: Was your phone a lemon

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope - my phone was great from day one!

140 83.83%
  • Yes - my phone is a lemon with an RMA

27 16.17%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default (Poll) No problems with Nexus 4 or having to send it back already?

Just a simple poll to see how the good to bad ratio is stacking up for the Nexus 4.

I'm curious to see how many people have had bad Nexus 4's when they arrived. Poor speaker quality, screen issues, extremely poor battery life, etc.

Default Re: (Poll) No problems with Nexus 4 or having to send it back already?

I got mine yesterday. Seems to have no problem except it did a reboot this morning. I have heard that is a problem too with this phone. lets see what happens.

Lots of people are saying they are having a problem with their phone, haven't recieved mine yet though

Bad earpiece here. Replacement pending. Shame.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Working fine so far. Some hiccups here and there but nothing major. I've dealt with android for a while so I know it's to be expected.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

No issues so far. Any common known issue?

Not to say there aren't a few bugs here and there, but that doesn't make it a lemon. With the lists some sites have compiled in regards to 4.2 bugs, I'm going to wait to hear of an update from Google before anything. I don't believe I have any hardware issues with the phone.

Only problem I've experienced so far is today I recorded a 2 minute video, afterwards the phone shut down and when I tried to turn it back on, nothing happened. It took about ten minutes and eventually the power button turned it back on.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by chrispher86 View Post
    Only problem I've experienced so far is today I recorded a 2 minute video, afterwards the phone shut down and when I tried to turn it back on, nothing happened. It took about ten minutes and eventually the power button turned it back on.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Thats really strange because the same thing happened to me today, minus the video recording.

Maps stopped showing trafic today I had to reboot. Thats been my biggest problem so far. Don't think I'll rma it for that though.

I got 2 16g N4. One for me and one for my wife. No issues with speaker, screen, or anything between the both of them. Just the slight rattle. That's all of them from what I've seen.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kgeier82 View Post
    Bad earpiece here. Replacement pending. Shame.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Ditto...

Cool Re: (Poll) No problems with Nexus 4 or having to send it back already?

My Google Nexus 4 shows version as 4.2.1, has been updated twice since I got the phone around 16 Nov. The issue I have is that when I make a call - the screen goes off. I cannot hang up or switch apps when on a call. If the call does not go through, I have to wait for the phone line to finish its messages before I can get the screen back. Using the on/off button does not seem to make a difference.

Anyone else have this issue?

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

If you installed the screen on the phone as I did (bestskinsever ETC) thick ones kind of rubberized clear plastic you will have the issue with the proximity sensor thinking your face is glued to the phone at all times. You need to peal off the protector and cut out a piece of it on the opposite side of the front camera so it doesn't cover the sensor.You can also test this by getting the AndroSensor app and checking the Proximity in that app. If it reads 0.0 in at all times you have an issue. If you peal of the skin(protector) it will read 2in. Hope it helps.

Got mine Saturday and not had any issues with it at all. I've used it a LOT and it's been amazing - I love it
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

That's not a bad ratio though, which is what I'm hoping to establish, of good:bad. While not technically translatable, lemon that is, to a phone; in my opinion if you're having to get a replacement after getting your initial new phone - it pretty much means it's suffering from more than just normal Android problems.

But 36 new and okay versus 3 bad isn't too horrible. It's a shame for those who did suffer a bad device, but I'm hoping this also alleviates some concerns that all of them are having issues. That whole "you only hear the bad stories" paradigm.

I thought my wifi was broken when it first got here. I seriously considered calling google to send it back. It would take sometimes 10 mins to handoff from mobile data to wifi. Prob was with my router...had a spare lying around, so I switched and now it hands off almost instantly. Everything else is all good.

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by gomab357 View Post
    Ditto...
    same... i'm requesting a replacement.
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4

ROM
    Stock Gingerbread

The bottom left of my screen has a yellow hue compared to the top right corner. Can't tell most of the time unless its a white screen or if the keyboard is up (left side of the keyboard is yellowish while the right is white). Would you guys get an exchange?

I was thinking of exchanging it after I get back from vacation on the 24th of Dec, but that'd be after the 15 days..do they disable your phone or can you still use it until you get the new one?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Mine came in today and is 100% fine!

No issues to speak of here other than a Wi-Fi signal that's slightly weaker than my last phone, and a warm backside when I'm doing processor-intensive things for an extended period. These barely register at all on the complaint scale for me.

Nexus 5/Moto X

ROM
    Stock Gingerbread

Ordered a replacement.

Does anyone know if we're required to send back the charger?

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

I'm definitely thinking about ordering a replacement. My device seems to have a charging issue where is it takes way too charge. It's not even capable of charging itself when I'm using the device with it plugged in. I haven't been able to figure out if this is an actual issue or if it's something that I seem to be making up but I'm thinking about getting a replacement.

Blackberry Bold 9000 > Google Nexus One > Samsung Captivate > iPhone 4 > iPhone4s ... Nexus 4

Asking that survey question over here may not give you the best results. As this is a place where people come to when they have problems. But still, about 93% (so far) have not had a problem with their device, so seems like everything is normal.
    As for those who are having problems with their device, I hope Google ships them a replacement asap.

I just got off the phone with Nexus device support for the second time and I will likely be either returning mine for exchange or refund.

1. Issue #1 - Bluetooth functions only for numeric dialing, no voice dialing or other voice actions seem to work. Others appear to have the same issue. You can speak the numbers you wish dialed and that's about it. This pretty much makes the phone useless to me since I use bluetooth almost exclusively with my phone and this feature has worked in every other phone I've owned. Maybe others can confirm whether this is unique to me. Android ver 4.2.1.

2. Minor issue, but also related - I can not use a stereo headset with my phone and expect the handset mic to work. Again - something that simply works in every other smart phone I've owned. You plug in a stereo headset (3 conductor earbuds only, not 4 conductor with mic for example) and the phone ideally recognizes the lack of 4th conductor and sends output audio to headphone while using handset mic. So, if you wish to make a call, you can do so. And if you wish to communicate with your phone using verbal commands you may do so as well. You may get "some" functionality using a 3 conductor headphone, however try making a call to someone and it simply doesn't work.

I don't think my phone issues are unique, but perhaps I got a lemon? Nexus support can't seem to confirm whether or not its a known issue.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast