Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Default Re: T Mobile 3G/4G signal indicator.

That's because sprint IS using lte but on a different frequency than att n vzw

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Default T Mobile 3G/4G signal indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    That's because sprint IS using lte but on a different frequency than att n vzw

It's using LTE in a 5 MHz 2x2 setup, compared to the 10 MHz 2x2 that Verizon is using and the mostly-10 MHz 2x2 that AT&T is using.

Tmobile is using two bonded 5 MHz channels of HSPA in a siso setup, which is probably comparable or even a little faster than sprint's LTE.
    HTMLSpinnr likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

This is what I get on a BAD DAY LOL and FYI sprint lte isn't tryin to compete with att and vzw on speed but is more reliable

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T Mobile 3G/4G signal indicator.-uploadfromtaptalk1354980032801.jpg  

Funny, I've only ever seen G, E and H on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    This is what I get on a BAD DAY LOL and FYI sprint lte isn't tryin to compete with att and vzw on speed but is more reliable

Reliable in what way? Right now Sprint LTE is not the pinnacle of reliability and it shouldn't be yet, they're still bringing the network up. Conditions are still spotty in a lot of the cities where there is actually an LTE deployment, some days there's LTE on one street corner and the next day it's not there at all. That's not to say it won't eventually be solid, but the LTE side of the network is quite scarce at the moment and reporting has been that it is fairly unstable in terms of when and where signal is received. (as per the chatter on S4GRU).

Sprint by way of the wide amount of spectrum they control through Clear might eventually be the fastest carrier, actually, but that is some time out. As it stands now, if you want to compare T-Mobile HSPA+42 with Sprint LTE under equal loading, they should perform about the same. 10 MHz SISO vs 5 MHz MIMO, both optimally 64 QAM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by valeuche View Post
    Reliable in what way? Right now Sprint LTE is not the pinnacle of reliability and it shouldn't be yet, they're still bringing the network up. Conditions are still spotty in a lot of the cities where there is actually an LTE deployment, some days there's LTE on one street corner and the next day it's not there at all. That's not to say it won't eventually be solid, but the LTE side of the network is quite scarce at the moment and reporting has been that it is fairly unstable in terms of when and where signal is received. (as per the chatter on S4GRU).

Sprint by way of the wide amount of spectrum they control through Clear might eventually be the fastest carrier, actually, but that is some time out. As it stands now, if you want to compare T-Mobile HSPA+42 with Sprint LTE under equal loading, they should perform about the same. 10 MHz SISO vs 5 MHz MIMO, both optimally 64 QAM.
    Do u wanna know how many times I actually dropped lte since I bought this phone... Like Twice and that's because I was in part of the city yet complete I'm saying reliable as in when nv is complete because if the rest of the markets is gonna have lte speeds and coverage like here then is is gonna be reliable the only other lte carrier here that's matching sprint coverage is vzw and they are faster but drops 4g at a much stronger signal than sprint lte well at least my Gnex because I can hold a 105- 115 dBm in my basement

Ah, I have been finding this about the 3G in Tmobile very weird. I previously had a Gnex then a HTC one S and now a N4. Both the Gnex and the HTC almost always were displaying an H connection. But now with the N4 I see a lot more 3G and even low bars of 3G. When I start using it I get full H bars (sometimes switching to 3G). At first I had a faulty phone but I am seeing more and more people post this. However, I did do a speed test on and it was an abysmal 1Mbps. Im in Miami by the way. Any thoughts?

T
    Quote Originally Posted by El Niche View Post
    Ah, I have been finding this about the 3G in Tmobile very weird. I previously had a Gnex then a HTC one S and now a N4. Both the Gnex and the HTC almost always were displaying an H connection. But now with the N4 I see a lot more 3G and even low bars of 3G. When I start using it I get full H bars (sometimes switching to 3G). At first I had a faulty phone but I am seeing more and more people post this. However, I did do a speed test on and it was an abysmal 1Mbps. Im in Miami by the way. Any thoughts?
    I'm having the same issue in the Tampa area (Brandon, Lithia, Riverview). On average I get 1-2Mbps down (the highest 6Mbps down) & nothing over 2Mbps up. Live chatted with Tmobile Friday for over an hour and nothing changed after all of whatever he did. In the end, he told me that he was submitting a request for an increase in speed for my area and to call if there wasn't a change in 24hrs. There was no change, but I haven't had a chance to contact them again.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I haven't a clue. I'm about 25 miles outside of Atlanta. But now that I think back, I've seen it a number of times change from 3G to what I thought were 2 vertical arrows. I was thinking that it was indicating data going back and forth, but I bet it was actually displaying an H...which looks pretty close to 2 arrows. It's too damn small for my eyes.
    The arrows are showing data usage. There would be a H right next to the bars if you have "4G" connection.
    gone down south likes this.

I've seen something similar, but, luckily, the worst is not right around me. Right around me, I get 3-4 bars, and around 9-10 Mbit on speedtest. Closer to the city center, still 3-4 four bars, but speed jumps to 15.5 Mbit. On the outskirts of the city, will often still see same 3-4 bars, but speeds go down to around 1.5 - 3 Mbit.

Quote Originally Posted by jim302 View Post
    Close...

G = GPRS
    E = EDGE
    3G = UMTS (WCDMA)
    H = all HSPA variants
    4G = LTE

EVDO is a CDMA2000 technology (Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, and a few other small regional carriers in the US). However, many phones do show EVDO as 3G (or sometimes EV).
    I finally just saw "G" for the first time this weekend. Kinda surprised me... I was like, "what 'G' is 'G' " ?

I've never seen it stuck at 3G, yet, either.
    i.e., while it may often display 3G, any data actual data access has caused it to always switch to H. I've never yet done any data access where it stays at 3G.

I get lots of E areas, on the outskirs around here, too. (North of Pittsburgh).

Basically, seems like if an area's tower doesn't do H, then it's E. Very few in-betweens.

Quote Originally Posted by TdotLee View Post
    T

I'm having the same issue in the Tampa area (Brandon, Lithia, Riverview). On average I get 1-2Mbps down (the highest 6Mbps down) & nothing over 2Mbps up. Live chatted with Tmobile Friday for over an hour and nothing changed after all of whatever he did. In the end, he told me that he was submitting a request for an increase in speed for my area and to call if there wasn't a change in 24hrs. There was no change, but I haven't had a chance to contact them again.
    Could it be possible its hardware related? I mean in the HTC One S I was using I was getting almost always H speeds. Also, I've noticed sometimes it drops reception for 3 seconds....

Could it be possible its hardware related? I mean in the HTC One S I was using I was getting almost always H speeds. Also, I've noticed sometimes it drops reception for 3 seconds....
    I've wondered the same thing. Just tested a buddy of mine's myTouch 4G here at work & I'm getting better speeds than him, so I guess my phone is good. Must just be the network...

@greydarrah... If you can see the two arrows in the mobile wireless 'staircase' signal indicator, your eyes are more than good enough to see the 3G or H. However, I suspect that your wifi signal indicator 'fan' is causing the 3G or H to disappear. It alsmost seems like the fan covers up the text part of the mobile wireless signal indicator.

Turn off your wireless and see if you get a 3G or an H to show on your status bar. Don't forget to turn wireless back on if you need it.

Yes that's true the N4 will show the more pure Android firm factor and the Samsung GS3 you mentioned will have Samsung's Touchwiz fingerprints all over Androids OS. So to answer your question yes two different phones can show different notification symbols. Now I have a Note 2 and I also have the 4G with the arrows below it. But just recently I got the 4G lte symbol on my phone. And that also has the little arrows below it. Hope that helps some.

i have had a T Mobile galaxy blaze, my g.f. had a Galaxy 3, i then had an Alcatel one touch fierce all T mobile. now i have a nokia Lunia 521(first Windows phone) but i'll save my opinions on that for another topic. I have never seen a letter. H or E or any other. I've seen LTE.on the Galaxy 3. I've seen 2G, 3G, 4G. on the rest. through an app i know that 4G really means 3.5G hspa+, EDGE is 2.5g. so it says. that is all i've ever seen. now with this Nokia it's still the same. even when I change the apn. i go from T-Mobile, till i reach my 2 gig cap, then switch to At&T LTE apn and it gives still around 12 mb download. No matter what the phone says it's top is 3.5G even if it says 4G . T mobile on the Galaxy was Lte and around 25mb download speed depending. I use a Brightspot sim now, but also use Fast.Tmobile T-Mobile apn settings. I change through all the apn's well metro pcs, At&t Lte, T Mobile US, and T-Mobile Lte. besides it seems to prolong my 2g monthly data it only has little difference in performance. whatever the case i've never seen those letters. but that doesn't mean some phones don't show them. i just wish there was an easy way to know exactly what your phone is using when it says 4G what does that mean. hspa wcmda lte 3.5G. but this is a droid forum and without an app i couldn't tell, i have no idea with this windows phone how to know for certain what data i'm using when it says whatever it says at the top.

My attitude is, if it's fast, who cares what technology it's using?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12