Anyone else thinking about returning their Nexus 4

SmileyIQ

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, long time reader but first time poster.

I just received my Nexus 4 today and I have to say that I am kind of disappointed by how similar it looks and feels to the Galaxy Nexus which I also own. Yes the phone itself is faster, but it just feels extremely similar. The camera is not mind-blowingly better although I do know the Galaxy Nexus camera is pretty terrible. Its running stock android 4.2 so the interface is not any different, I don't know but I think I may return or sell my Nexus 4.

I purchased my Galaxy Nexus in July so it is still in mint condition and I have a point and shoot that I forget to bring around with me everywhere which is why I wanted this new better phone but I cant really seem to convince myself to keep it. I will probably only be able to sell my Galaxy Nexus for $200 so i would not be recouping most of the money spent on the Nexus 4.

Does anyone else feel similarly?

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I never owned a galaxy nexus, but if both phones have the same amount of storage on them and you think you can get 200 bucks for the gnex then it sounds to me that you'd only be paying roughly $170 for a phone that just came out and is more liable to be future proof. The n4 was just released and is guaranteed for future updates. I don't think the gnex can promise that, imo.

Sent from my Ne xus 4

cynicist

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The N4 is far faster and has a much better screen. I think if you upgraded for the camera you may have made a mistake as it isn't one of the best in the market. If I were you I would probably return it and wait for new phones coming next year from Samsung/HTC.

flipflopp

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I had my doubts about returning the phone when I first got it. I was thinking what is the phone going to do better than my Galaxy S2 Epic 4g touch on Sprint. After the first half hour with the phone I never picked up my S2 again. It may not be leaps and bounds better but it has double the processor and double the ram and when the software starts to get pushed out it will be nice to get it first. I switched carriers also to T-Mobile. At this point anything is better than the 3g data I had with Sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Man you guys are fickle as hell. Maybe coming from a Gnex isn't as much of a step up as you had hoped but it's quite the upgrade for some of us. I'm coming from a Evo 4G and the N4 blows it out of the water. Gnex>N4: iPhone 4S> iPhone 5?

SmileyIQ

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to have to pay a 15% restocking fee to return the phone so it looks like i'm going to have to keep it or lose out on that money. This sucks, I guess I should have read the reviews more carefully on the camera. This phone is just too similar to the Galaxy Nexus.

SmileyIQ

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Man you guys are fickle as hell. Maybe coming from a Gnex isn't as much of a step up as you had hoped but it's quite the upgrade for some of us. I'm coming from a Evo 4G and the N4 blows it out of the water. Gnex>N4: iPhone 4S> iPhone 5?

I'm not saying it isn't better than my G Nexus but coming from stock 4.2 on a dual core to stock 4.2 on a quad core = mind not blown. I don't know if there will be a new Nexus announced in May but if there is I hope its more of an upgrade. It also does not help that I got my G Nexus 3 months ago.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
i thought about canceling my order when i first found out it was going to take 3 weeks for me to get the n4. i was very considering to buy an used unlocked gn from criagslist and just use it for the next yr till the next nexus comes out. i did own the sprint gn at one point, but i returned it for the evo lte cause i wanted a better camera. now that i got the n4, i m pretty glad that i didn't get the gn. the n4 is a solid phone, much better camera, top cpu and gpu in the market and i personally think it's a much better looking phone. i feel like the gn camera is poor and i believe it there are some issue with 4.2 running on it. the cpu in the gn is outdated, it was never top of the line even when it was first released. i know now that i would definitely not be happy if i have the gn instead of the n4. i know my situation is different from yours, since you have the gn in hand to compare the 2. another thing to consider, you will be losing about 20 shipping charges if you return the phone back to google. i doubt they will refund you their shipping charge. is there a restocking fee also? so it might not even financially wise to return it at this point.

edit: didn't see your 2 reply, haha, i guess u are keeping it, yeah, def dont' make sense to return it w/ restocking fee plus shipping cost. you are looking at losing more than $70.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying it isn't better than my G Nexus but coming from stock 4.2 on a dual core to stock 4.2 on a quad core = mind not blown. I don't know if there will be a new Nexus announced in May but if there is I hope its more of an upgrade. It also does not help that I got my G Nexus 3 months ago.

Just sell it on here or another forum or swappa. Com you would be out probably 50 bucks just after the shipping and restocking fee

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Just sell it on here or another forum or swappa. Com you would be out probably 50 bucks just after the shipping and restocking fee

Exactly. With the phone in such short supply, you should be able to sell it easily. Check what the going rate is; it may even be more than you paid.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
How about do the right and nice thing and make someone's Xmas: Sell the N4 at cost or a little extra for your time?

Keep your GNex until something better for you comes along.

Everybody's happy and you get some great Xmas Karma. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Exactly. With the phone in such short supply, you should be able to sell it easily. Check what the going rate is; it may even be more than you paid.

i bought 2 and sold one of them. i was lucky, thought about posting on ebay, at the time, going rate was about 500, but after all the fees, you will end up pocketing about 430. i posted on craigslist for 570, totally not expecting to sell it at that price. couple days later, a guy who was visiting from brazil was leaving soon and didn't even bother to negotiate with me. he was desperate and tried multiple sellers, with no luck. i was the only one who replied him. i thought it was a scam at first, but turned out it was legit. met the guy at a busy mall and he paid me 570 cash.

Kakito24

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I just received my Nexus 4 today and I have to say that I am kind of disappointed by how similar it looks and feels to the Galaxy Nexus which I also own. Yes the phone itself is faster, but it just feels extremely similar. The camera is not mind-blowingly better although I do know the Galaxy Nexus camera is pretty terrible. Its running stock android 4.2 so the interface is not any different, I don't know but I think I may return or sell my Nexus 4.

I purchased my Galaxy Nexus in July so it is still in mint condition and I have a point and shoot that I forget to bring around with me everywhere which is why I wanted this new better phone but I cant really seem to convince myself to keep it. I will probably only be able to sell my Galaxy Nexus for $200 so i would not be recouping most of the money spent on the Nexus 4.

Nope! Got lucky ordering on the 1st Release Date and getting my phone right away. Very satisfied with the N4 so far.

Nexus 4 (RASBEANjelly: Trinity Four Inception)
via Tapatalk 2

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Don't return your nexus 4, sell it on ebay for $100 gain, people will probably buy a 16GB for 500 or so.
But no, I don't want to return it, mostly because I don't have it, but the Nexus 4 is the reason I'm using android and not iOS.

cynicist

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Personally it's the best phone I have ever used. I actually take my comment back about the phone's camera. I just looked at some comparison samples here, and it actually looks better than the iphone 5 in some cases. I haven't used mine much yet but I like the photos it takes and I doubt that other smartphones take significantly better photos (except maybe nokia made ones).