Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Voice Voicemail and t-Mobile Monthly4G not compatible?

So i've run into the only problem I can find going pre-paid...

It seems that since t-mobile pre-paid doesn't provide forwarding for voicemail, I cannot use google voice for visual voicemail service. I've tried twice and it just keeps defaulting to t-mobile voicemail when people call me.

Does anyone have a work around? I only want to use Google Voice for voicemail services and my T-Mo number for incoming/outgoing calls.

Default Re: Google Voice Voicemail and t-Mobile Monthly4G not compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by willdogs View Post

It seems that since t-mobile pre-paid doesn't provide forwarding for voicemail, I cannot use google voice for visual voicemail service. I've tried twice and it just keeps defaulting to t-mobile voicemail when people call me.

Does anyone have a work around? I only want to use Google Voice for voicemail services and my T-Mo number for incoming/outgoing calls.
    From what I've read, you need to call TMobile and have them turn off voicemail for your account. They'll probably tell you not to do this but you don't want their voicemail, you want Google Voice's.

Use your Google Voice number. Port your T-Mobile number to Google Voice if you need to use that specific number. You can turn a setting on in the Google Voice app to "make all calls with Google Voice" so that your outbound caller ID will always display your Google Voice number. This means everything you do will be associated with that one Google Voice number -- outbound calls, inbound calls, and voicemail. No reason to be using the T-Mobile number.

Disabling the Carrier Voicemail is only part of the process. You still need to set the forwarding numbers or the caller will get indefinite rings and you'll get no voicemail.

**004*<10 digit Google Voice number># will set your forwarding numbers (note the extra * at the begin compaired to what GV suggests).

Setting the Google Voice app to "make all calls with Google Voice" only works for 10+ digit numbers, 7 digit number will show number assigned by the carrier.

6tr6tr is correct. You have to call T-Mobile and have them disable voicemail on your account. That way, when someone calls your phone you won't have their service getting in the way. As long as you have gv app setup, it will pick up after so many rings.

I ported my long-held number from Verizon to GV and have seemingly been problem free in regards to using GV for voicemail. Should I still call T-Mobile and have them shut off their voicemail service for my throwaway T-Mobile number, or is it pretty guaranteed that Google Voice will handle all calls as long as people are calling my GV number?

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

How many times does your phone ring before it picks up? I'm assuming you have Google voice and t mobile prepaid personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Ape View Post
    6tr6tr is correct. You have to call T-Mobile and have them disable voicemail on your account. That way, when someone calls your phone you won't have their service getting in the way. As long as you have gv app setup, it will pick up after so many rings.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    How many times does your phone ring before it picks up? I'm assuming you have Google voice and t mobile prepaid personally.

This might help: Preventing voicemail from picking up calls - Google Voice Help

Edit: I just retested this to be sure and it rang a lot of times (forgot to count) but the outgoing message I heard was my google voice and when I left a voicemail, it was in the google voice app.

So just to be clear. Your telling me that with the following configurations I can use Google Voice Voice Mail?
    - LG Nexus 4
    - Tmobile pre-paid monthly plan
    - Using my Tmobile number and not my Google Voice's number

I used to have people call my Tmobile number that I have had forever and it would get forwarded to my Google Voice number for Voicemail. I do not want have people calling my Google Voice number.

I am very interested in getting Google Voice Voicemail working on my Nexus 4 with a Tmobile pre-paid plan.

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

More than 4 but less than 6?

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    This might help: Preventing voicemail from picking up calls - Google Voice Help

Edit: I just retested this to be sure and it rang a lot of times (forgot to count) but the outgoing message I heard was my google voice and when I left a voicemail, it was in the google voice app.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbeerdrinker View Post
    So just to be clear. Your telling me that with the following configurations I can use Google Voice Voice Mail?
    - LG Nexus 4
    - Tmobile pre-paid monthly plan
    - Using my Tmobile number and not my Google Voice's number

I used to have people call my Tmobile number that I have had forever and it would get forwarded to my Google Voice number for Voicemail. I do not want have people calling my Google Voice number.

I am very interested in getting Google Voice Voicemail working on my Nexus 4 with a Tmobile pre-paid plan.
    Prepaid plan doesn't allow call forwarding. So GV will not answer your tmo number.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

More than 4 but less than 6?

probably closer to 8 rings

edit: i called the Google voice number, not the T-Mobile number directly. i give everyone my Google voice number

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    probably closer to 8 rings

edit: i called the Google voice number, not the T-Mobile number directly. i give everyone my Google voice number
    That's awful. Would it kill them to offer call forwarding.

Go to you phone, click the menu and go to call forwarding forward unanswered etc to you Google voice number , make sure ur google voice is not set to forward calls to your phone

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

But it rings 8 times for you also?

Quote Originally Posted by mattatwar1 View Post
    Go to you phone, click the menu and go to call forwarding forward unanswered etc to you Google voice number , make sure ur google voice is not set to forward calls to your phone

What u mean? When they call u?

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

What u mean? When they call u?

Yes when they call you.

Yes when they call you.

OK so u got it to go to Google voice for voicemail correct?

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

I use a different service but was just wondering about how t mobile was working with google voice.

OK so u got it to go to Google voice for voicemail correct?

I had this exact problem. I think I found a workaround. Have a look at this thread.

Do I really need to disable T-Mobile's voicemail?

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deanoflorida View Post
    I had this exact problem. I think I found a workaround. Have a look at this thread.

Do I really need to disable T-Mobile's voicemail?
    That's sound like it would take forever for the google voice to pick up. Like 10 rings. I think it's better to get get that voicemail turned off.

I would love for someone to tell my how many rings it takes for google voice to pick up.

4 rings. I can call my GV number or my phones number and it goes to Google Voice voicemail after 4 rings.

I wasn't going to reply to this thread because I didn't want to be accused of spamming it. My solution was to go with Solavei for service - a monthly prepaid plan that uses the T-Mobile network and they support forwarding. Yes, they are doing the affiliate sign up thing, but even of you want no part of that the plan is one of the better deals out there. I am a happy customer, if you have questions, please contact me via pm.

[post edited by moderator]

-M

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Ask me about Solavei.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonSmear View Post
    Disabling the Carrier Voicemail is only part of the process. You still need to set the forwarding numbers or the caller will get indefinite rings and you'll get no voicemail.

**004*<10 digit Google Voice number># will set your forwarding numbers (note the extra * at the begin compaired to what GV suggests).

Setting the Google Voice app to "make all calls with Google Voice" only works for 10+ digit numbers, 7 digit number will show number assigned by the carrier.
    So, for what it's worth, I tested this on my T-Mobile S4. My voicemail number was indeed changed and unanswered calls are going to my GV number/voicemail. Oh, and I did not call T-Mobile to kill my voicemail. I just used the code above to change my voicemail number.