How do I go down a space when texting?

tianh92

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
With my old iphone, I could just press the enter button and go down a space while texting which is helpful for long messages. However in Android it is replaced with a smiley icon? Any idea how to fix? Thanks!

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
The stock android keyboard is prob the best one around as far accuracy and word prediction etc...and you don't really need a enter key , if you have a long message just keep typing.. I don't see why you would need one

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
what keybaord do you recommend? Yeah how do I return to a next line in android stock keyboard?

the best all around keyboard is Swiftkey (my choice) or swype. Swiftkey has a better prediction engine. They are also developing a swype like feature that is pretty good

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
the best all around keyboard is Swiftkey (my choice) or swype. Swiftkey has a better prediction engine. They are also developing a swype like feature that is pretty good

Agreed. I tried to like the new jb keyboard... But it just doesn't do it for me. I was hoping for more of a cross between SwiftKey and swype. Not so much. I'm sticking with SwiftKey.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

tpain7765

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
With my old iphone, I could just press the enter button and go down a space while texting which is helpful for long messages. However in Android it is replaced with a smiley icon? Any idea how to fix? Thanks!

Press the shift key (the up arrow that makes your letters capital) and the smiley face button changes to a return key.

dobiegillis

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site

Agreed +1 for SwiftKey! Though I could care less about the forthcoming Flow (Swype-like) feature.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
No... You don't... What you do is send the first part and then start typing the next message... Its texting not an email

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

While it doesn't apply to me, not everyone is on an unlimited text plan so this is not a real solution.

And yes, some of us do like to maintain some semblance of proper grammar even when texting. Kudos to tpain7765 for pointing out that all you need do is to hit the Shift key and the smiley key wil turn into an Enter (New Line) key.

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
No... You don't... What you do is send the first part and then start typing the next message... Its texting not an email

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Thanks for letting me know how to compose a text. You may do it your way and I'll do mine.