N4 Camera seems much better then advertised.

Benoni Cooper

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 4 vs. iPhone 5 Camera Shootout
That just about says it.

Reviewers seem to be comparing the N4 Camera against the Galaxy nexus only and automatically write it off when comparing it against the Iphone5 and the S3.
Here is a pretty in depth review of spartphone cameras.
Camera comparison: iPhone 5 vs Nexus 4 vs 8X vs DROID DNA vs Lumia 920 vs Note II vs Galaxy S III - Indoor

He threw in some throw away lines about the N4 trying to go for "realistic" shots, but that they werent in the same class.... however, the N4 clearly blows away some of the competition in some shoots, espically the Indoor shootout in the link. The Iphone 5 and S3 did terrible there.... but narry a mention of the disparity.

And look at the sticky in these forums. Some strikingly beautiful photos. Add that in with the fun and beauty ofphpotospere and tiny planets, and I think I am going to enjoy my N4 camera more then any other camera I have used before.

Anyone else pleasantly surprised?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It is decent. As the discussion went yesterday, AOSP doesnt put much thought into the software behind it but it is a decent enough picture taker

Benoni Cooper

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It is decent. As the discussion went yesterday, AOSP doesnt put much thought into the software behind it but it is a decent enough picture taker
See, thats what I mean. I dont really care what people think about AOSP, or LG, or anything else... looking at that, the N4 camera is clearly sub par.

But side by side camera comparisons.... Pretty damn good IMO.

AbsoluteZerow

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
My only issue is the random blurry focus when taking HDRs. Hopefully that will get fixed in my phone replacement next week, or a update or something.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
See, thats what I mean. I dont really care what people think about AOSP, or LG, or anything else... looking at that, the N4 camera is clearly sub par.

But side by side camera comparisons.... Pretty damn good IMO.

no argument from me, if they put effort into it, it would challenge the best hands down

cynicist

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Benoni Cooper

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I know.
When I look at the side by sides, the N4 often grabs my favorite shots of the bunch.
Lumix GF3 actually impressed me quite abit, and the 920 turned out to he highly overrated even in night shots IMO.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The camera is decent but another thread compared it to the Gnex and I must say the Gnex was better on a majority of the pictures.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
So far I'm underwhelmed by the camera. My nearly two year old crappy (UI-wise) Sidekick 4G seems to take sharper photos than the N4. If I scale down the images then they look fine, but I use photos for more than sharing via MMS.

The stock camera app has no timer feature.

And having to snap the shutter via a tap instead of a hardware button is not ideal in certain situations (and is too close to the Home button).

The photosphere is good though and has been fun to use.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Nexus 4 vs. iPhone 5 Camera Shootout
That just about says it.

Reviewers seem to be comparing the N4 Camera against the Galaxy nexus only and automatically write it off when comparing it against the Iphone5 and the S3.
Here is a pretty in depth review of spartphone cameras.
Camera comparison: iPhone 5 vs Nexus 4 vs 8X vs DROID DNA vs Lumia 920 vs Note II vs Galaxy S III - Indoor

He threw in some throw away lines about the N4 trying to go for "realistic" shots, but that they werent in the same class.... however, the N4 clearly blows away some of the competition in some shoots, espically the Indoor shootout in the link. The Iphone 5 and S3 did terrible there.... but narry a mention of the disparity.

And look at the sticky in these forums. Some strikingly beautiful photos. Add that in with the fun and beauty ofphpotospere and tiny planets, and I think I am going to enjoy my N4 camera more then any other camera I have used before.

Anyone else pleasantly surprised?

It's an awful camera. Try taking closeup shots with it - you'll never get them in focus. And even regular shots take a lot more work than the camera on the Nexus S (which is only a 5 megapixel crappy camera). I've been very disappointed with it. The GS3 has a much better camera, and I'm 100% convinced it's due entirely to software.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I tend to take closes up fairly frequently. I realize that neither of the below are super crisp, but the N4 is definitely fuzzier

N4 photo:

IMG_20121210_134427.jpg

Sidekick 4G photo:

2012-12-10+13.43.08.jpg

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it does seem to return beter results than advertised.

Sure, the 920 and iP5 can take better shots, and maybe they take better shots a little more often, but it's not like it's a blatant night and day difference. I usually think the iP5 takes the better shot over the N4, but again, the N4 takes good pictures, just not AS good as other phones SOMETIMES.

Long story short: Nexus 4 + Snapseed = perfectly good pictures.

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I never understood the missing features for camera software. I always just point and shoot my shots. You guys actually use HDR and other stuff? Isn't that cheating?

arizonamman

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the honesty folks! I have been waiting 4 weeks and I continue to hear that the camera sux and it is one of my deal killers. It has been a rough decision so I at least I hope to hear of some type of fix b4 my N4 ships, if ever. :(

Thanks again!
:)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well if that was one of your deal killers, you are going to be disappointed I am sorry to say.

THe only "fix" is going to be download a different camera app from the market. The hardware is good, the app is ok but there are better

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Well if that was one of your deal killers, you are going to be disappointed I am sorry to say.

THe only "fix" is going to be download a different camera app from the market. The hardware is good, the app is ok but there are better

Do you think there would be a noticeable difference in quality between the stock app and something like CameraZoom FX? You know, excluding all the random features and filters and that BS. Simply snapping a picture and not editing it, you there be a substantial difference in the images?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I honestly do not know. I just know the hardware is not bad, but the app is sparse. With a different app you maybe able to adjust for some of the issues....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz