Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Default Re: The so called Nexus 4 battery woes

Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    Bad?! Take a screen shot when you hit 4hrs+, I don't think I believe the device can come close to it. I'm not arguing with you or anything, but 3hrs is solid as far as on screen times go; anything over 3 is just gravy.
    Totally doable but you need to turn gps off unless it's needed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    TheLibertarian likes this.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP PUB / Franco Kernel

great tip to save battery!!!

I recently got a new work email app that causes me to use a pin or pw instead of the pattern draw to unlock. to prevent how often i had to input this, I changed the setting. time before locking after phone screen turns off to 30 min and noticed some SERIOUS battery drain. I figured out it was that setting keeping the phone awake until the 30 min after i used it and it finally locked and slept. I turned the setting to 1 min and it completely fixed the problem. Using anything except a low setting will give you awful drain and will show as android OS on the battery stats page.
    Google Android Affectionado
    Thanked by 2:

When I first got my phone, for the first few charges my battery was horrible. Now it is much better but I also switched carriers (before I was barely ever getting reception) I think that also plays a part in drainage because the phone is always trying to connect to the network. RIght now it is at 11% 15h and 30m with 3h 27m screen time.
    badbrad17 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #54  

I think the key to Android is the to treat it like a PC or Laptop, you have almost unlimited control over what you can do and you need to take responsibility for what you install and configure, then it makes perfect sense. Also some people say what's the point in having all these features if you can't have them on in case they drain battery but from my point of view its no different than a brand new PC, work recently bought me a shiny HP Ultra book laptop and its great, BUT I uninstalled most of the preinstalled HP crap and turned off a lot of the services bloating the OS, runs much better now. I treat Android the same way.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Try deep sleep battery saver works amazingly well.

Here is how I did for the last charge; I wish I knew why "Mediaserver" is taking up battery life. I do have GPS off and no location sharing (which I don't use anyway) I'm pretty happy with this

badbrad17 likes this.

It's not the battery life when my phone is off that bothers me. It's just that when I can visually see the percentage points dropping in realtime while the screen is on, it makes me feel like something isn't optimized properly in 4.2. Also a question, is it possible to flash a kernel to your phone without flashing an entirely different ROM?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The so called Nexus 4 battery woes-uploadfromtaptalk1356424738132.jpg   The so called Nexus 4 battery woes-uploadfromtaptalk1356424760134.jpg   The so called Nexus 4 battery woes-uploadfromtaptalk1356424793120.jpg   The so called Nexus 4 battery woes-uploadfromtaptalk1356424803837.jpg   The so called Nexus 4 battery woes-uploadfromtaptalk1356424813619.jpg  

The so called Nexus 4 battery woes-uploadfromtaptalk1356424821773.jpg  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

So are you not happy with those numbers? That looks great in my books. I got 16 hours today with over 4 hours screen time. And still have 20% left. It's all I need to get through the day.

Android Evangelist

So what would you guys say is the average screen time for the nexus 4 stock? I usually get around 2.5 to 3.5 hours on auto brightness, less if I play a lot of games. This is my first android phone so is it easy/worth it to root it to improve battery life?

That's about what I have experienced. The most screen time I have had is 3.5 hours on my last charge. Total battery life was close to 40 hours.

I just dont see how you guys are doing it. I have like 7 or 8 apps installed. I have almost every auto sync turned off and the only things set to sync under Google Account are calendar and contacts. Today i only got like 9hrs with screen on for not even 3hrs. What the hell is going on? I'm using franco kernel on stock. Could that be the issue? How do i flash back to stock kernel?

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by corance View Post
    I just dont see how you guys are doing it. I have like 7 or 8 apps installed. I have almost every auto sync turned off and the only things set to sync under Google Account are calendar and contacts. Today i only got like 9hrs with screen on for not even 3hrs. What the hell is going on? I'm using franco kernel on stock. Could that be the issue? How do i flash back to stock kernel?
    Turn off GPS.

Well yeah that's always off. And screen is on auto btw.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    Bad?! Take a screen shot when you hit 4hrs+, I don't think I believe the device can come close to it. I'm not arguing with you or anything, but 3hrs is solid as far as on screen times go; anything over 3 is just gravy.
    Sure, here you go. And this was with plenty of video streaming.

Thanked by:

Does anyone know what media server is? I don't use this and I can't find this in settings and yet it takes up 13% of my battery...

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Bazinga11 View Post
    So what would you guys say is the average screen time for the nexus 4 stock? I usually get around 2.5 to 3.5 hours on auto brightness, less if I play a lot of games. This is my first android phone so is it easy/worth it to root it to improve battery life?
    Everything is relative to what you do. My tablet burns battery if I'm playing a game that is really taxing on the CPU. But can last for days if I am just surfing and streaming music here and there. I am getting 4 hours of on screen time and 14-16 off charge. I would consider myself a medium to heavy user. I feel like I am constantly on my phone. But I am on this forum more than I am playing games, so that may make a big difference. What I do know is that compared to my SGS2 I know I could go out for the evening with 60% and not be worried that I would run out. I would never make it on my SGS2 unless I had everything turned off.

Android Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    Everything is relative to what you do. My tablet burns battery if I'm playing a game that is really taxing on the CPU. But can last for days if I am just surfing and streaming music here and there. I am getting 4 hours of on screen time and 14-16 off charge. I would consider myself a medium to heavy user. I feel like I am constantly on my phone. But I am on this forum more than I am playing games, so that may make a big difference. What I do know is that compared to my SGS2 I know I could go out for the evening with 60% and not be worried that I would run out. I would never make it on my SGS2 unless I had everything turned off.

Do you have any of the mods that other people are using to get 4 hours of battery life. I don't know if my battery is defective or not lol I only have a few more days if I want a replacement.

I find it takes a few charging cycles for a the battery to improve. My battery life has been steadily improving over the last couple weeks. I was able to manage 4 hours of screen time with 28 total battery life with this past cycle. Mostly internet, Facebook, online news apps, texting and phone calls. No heavy media usage or games.

Try turning GPS back on. Whatever app (FB?) that is trying to read you GPS position may be causing the high readings.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Bazinga11 View Post
    Do you have any of the mods that other people are using to get 4 hours of battery life. I don't know if my battery is defective or not lol I only have a few more days if I want a replacement.
    What do you mean by mods?

Android Evangelist

I'm increasingly finding Android's multi-tasking without much use. The apps that "need" to run in the backround are usually needlessly draining the battery, such as Twitter, Pulse, etc. Unless you are actually reading every news feed, or every tweet, there's really no need for the
    multi-tasking. I would gladly give it away, if it would make my cell phone stay charge for a whole day even with heavy use.
    The only app I need running is the one I'm actually using. Android allows apps to just "wake up" and start doing God knows what in the background.

ROM
    Stock

The option that seriously improved my battery life was stopping auto sync on everything using the control settings app. Serious improvements! just switch on sync when you need to check your emails etc etc.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

I found it got better after a few days use. It also helps to load custom firmware and a good kernel.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger09 View Post
    I found it got better after a few days use. It also helps to load custom firmware and a good kernel.
    I'm running stock, but rooted. I decided to not plug in last night just to see how the sleep mode was and how long I could go and I think that this is where this phone shines. It uses nothing in sleep mode. I only lost 3% over night. I am truly blown away by this battery and can only say that if you are not getting a full day with 4 hours of on screen time you should send yours back for a new one. I use my phone a lot and am shaking my head on how long it lasts. If Google makes it better with updates then I will be a happy camper.

Android Evangelist

Well, yesterday I got about 3hrs on screen time but at the risk of my battery only lasting 9hrs by the time I hit 10%. Today, with light usage (Twitter, News Readers, Texts, Emails) im at 68% after 5h 33m 39s on Battery (Screen on is 1h 5m so far). I wouldn't say thats amazing, its pretty decent, wish I was getting the numbers you all are getting though. badbrad17 mentioned over night, he only lost 3%. Thats amazing, because when I put my phone off all night I lost maybe 10% which is good but not 3% great. I think how long your phone last overnight when its asleep is a good indicator of how long it'll last real world. When my Gs2 had battery issues (like lasting maybe 5-8hrs on a charge), itd go down maybe 30% over night or more. Oh well, guess this is the battery life i'll just have to live with without gutting my phone and rendering it useless by disabling every key aspect of it just to get an extra hour or so. I have 46 apps, so maybe i'll trim that down a bit and see how it goes.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast