Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Default Re: The so called Nexus 4 battery woes

Got a good four hours on my nexus 4. Didnt ss it but just take my word. Wifi was on the entire time too

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Thanked by 2:

At home all day with WiFi on. Seems pretty decent to me. I wish I had better T-Mobile signal inside my house, oh well. Any comments on these stats?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The so called Nexus 4 battery woes-s1.png   The so called Nexus 4 battery woes-s2.png   The so called Nexus 4 battery woes-s3.png  

Thought I would contribute to this thread. Here is my latest battery usage...

This was from full charge down to 1%, using a combination of calls, texting, web-browsing for a couple of hours (using both Wi-Fi & HSPA+), 15 min HD vid on Youtube, Tapatalk browsing and more.

Wasn't expecting massive battery life with this device, but I'm more than happy wth it considering what some reviews have stated. I'm never far away from a charge point anyway, so not a big issue for me
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Lugz6002 View Post
    Thought I would contribute to this thread. Here is my latest battery usage...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1111867/Battery_life.png
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1111867/Screen_time.png

This was from full charge down to 1%, using a combination of calls, texting, web-browsing for a couple of hours (using both Wi-Fi & HSPA+), 15 min HD vid on Youtube, Tapatalk browsing and more.

Wasn't expecting massive battery life with this device, but I'm more than happy wth it considering what some reviews have stated. I'm never far away from a charge point anyway, so not a big issue for me
    It's more about screen on time than anything. 4-5 hours is pretty normal. Your last 8 hours at the end was when the phone was idle. That's easy with any phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by PhilSterBoy View Post
    Just installed juice defender ultimate and turned off the map setting. Hopefully I see an increase

Juice defender helps with power usage during idle; it will not do anything to help power usage when using the phone.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
    Juice defender helps with power usage during idle; it will not do anything to help power usage when using the phone.
    It does little regardless.

Android Evangelist

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
    Actually the only thing it helps is killing signals which often can have mixed results.

Firstly the app itself has to stay active often keeping the phone from Deep sleep mode. This causes what we call a wake lock.

Second if you have poorly written apps that poll regularly that app may have issues and cause worse drain. This often isn't an issue but it has happened.

Those apps really are nothing more than a placebo if you take the time to turn data or WiFi on and off with built in toggles (aosp based ROMs, and touchwiz I can confirm have them.) You would achieve similar if not better results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Actually the only thing it helps is killing signals which often can have mixed results.

Firstly the app itself has to stay active often keeping the phone from Deep sleep mode. This causes what we call a wake lock.

Second if you have poorly written apps that poll regularly that app may have issues and cause worse drain. This often isn't an issue but it has happened.

Those apps really are nothing more than a placebo if you take the time to turn data or WiFi on and off with built in toggles (aosp based ROMs, and touchwiz I can confirm have them.) You would achieve similar if not better results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Okay, I will uninstall and see what happens and report back.

I installed juice defender ultimate and my battery life has greatly improved. X1.59 according to the app but it feels like it last much longer

I took my phone off the charger at 4 am when I woke up, went back to sleep, never touched the phone and when I woke back up at 9am i was at 80% with ZERO screen usage. I'm thinking about getting a replacement

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Doooshty View Post
    I took my phone off the charger at 4 am when I woke up, went back to sleep, never touched the phone and when I woke back up at 9am i was at 80% with ZERO screen usage. I'm thinking about getting a replacement
    mine only used around 5% in 8 hours.

Android Evangelist

Did you have alarms or other settings that would have forced the phone to wake? That's what drains the battery in such a scenario, in my experience.

My battery has died, and after 26 hours I've had 3 hours of screen time.

I've optimized the wakelocks so the idle battery drain is as good as I can get without sacrificing Google Now etc (around 0.5-0.7% per hour)

My screen brightness is on automatic, Franco r28 kernel, stock rom, GPS off, Wi-Fi mostly on, no video games/movies played, Google Now on.

Is this normal? People have posted great battery life of 4 hours plus with similar set-ups it seems

http://i.imgur.com/A15B8.png
    http://i.imgur.com/yE3RB.png
    http://i.imgur.com/78Fm3.png

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Munki View Post

I've optimized the wakelocks so the idle battery drain is as good as I can get without sacrificing Google Now etc (around 0.5-0.7% per hour)

My screen brightness is on automatic, Franco r28 kernel, stock rom, GPS off, Wi-Fi mostly on, no video games/movies played, Google Now on.

Is this normal? People have posted great battery life of 4 hours plus with similar set-ups it seems

I think that is pretty normal. In reality it's just about making it through a full day with a charge at night. Most of us are getting 3-5 hours of screen time but there are so many variables that can change this. But your numbers look good. IMO.

Android Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Munki View Post

Thats about where I average. If I get less than 3 hours screen time, it's because I chose to start charging before the battery was down to 1 or 2%, otherwise 3 hours is pretty obtainable. I hit 4 hours screen time ONCE but can't remember how I did it. Getting about 30 hours total battery time. Again, this is an average, sometimes more, sometimes less.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I really believe that data is the big thing as well as a poor signal. I have been using my phone pretty sparsely today as I do consider myself a power user but I am now sitting at over 12 hours with 2.5+ hours of screen time. Also streamed some music on data for about 30 minutes.

I'm using Juice defender on basic and have everything else off as much as possible including Google Now.

The so called Nexus 4 battery woes-uploadfromtaptalk1357623799531.jpg
    The so called Nexus 4 battery woes-uploadfromtaptalk1357623818436.jpg

Android Evangelist

I had been getting quite good (read: acceptable) battery life out of my N4 - 16 hoursish off charge with 3+hrs screen on time, but the last couple of days have been disappointing. Today, for example, 13.5 hrs off charge, 1hr 15mins screen on time. Biggest users were Screen 26%, Andoird OS 20%, Phone Idle 13%, Mobile Standby 11%. Interesting thing in Mobile standby: Time on 13h 39m 47s, Time without signal 14%. That suggests that, over the course of the day, for close to 2 hours my phone was trying to pick up a signal.

I'm wondering if people think this might be a cause of my problem over the past couple of days?

I've not changed any of my sync settings, and today I even ran with WiFi turned off all day to see if there was an improvement. I use auto screen brightness and GPS turned off. I sent less than 20 texts today, Facebook had used 3% of my battery (so not much usage there with infrequent syncing), placed 2 very short (< 1 minute) phone calls, and played a couple of games (combined to about 3% battery as well).

Sorry, no fancy screenshots as I'm writing from my laptop :-)

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB15 View Post
    I had been getting quite good (read: acceptable) battery life out of my N4 - 16 hoursish off charge with 3+hrs screen on time, but the last couple of days have been disappointing. Today, for example, 13.5 hrs off charge, 1hr 15mins screen on time. Biggest users were Screen 26%, Andoird OS 20%, Phone Idle 13%, Mobile Standby 11%. Interesting thing in Mobile standby: Time on 13h 39m 47s, Time without signal 14%. That suggests that, over the course of the day, for close to 2 hours my phone was trying to pick up a signal.

I'm wondering if people think this might be a cause of my problem over the past couple of days?

I've not changed any of my sync settings, and today I even ran with WiFi turned off all day to see if there was an improvement. I use auto screen brightness and GPS turned off. I sent less than 20 texts today, Facebook had used 3% of my battery (so not much usage there with infrequent syncing), placed 2 very short (< 1 minute) phone calls, and played a couple of games (combined to about 3% battery as well).

Sorry, no fancy screenshots as I'm writing from my laptop :-)
    So were you on data? I have found it makes a huge difference if I am getting a weak data signal vs wifi. I always turn data off and only flip it on when I need it.

Android Evangelist

Yesterday I had decided to do an RMA. I had been getting 8 hours of battery life with maybe 2hrs of screen time. I decided to give the battery a few days first. Yesterday I let the battery die, kept the phone off, and put it on the charger. I left it there for 4 hours. I then assumed it was charged. Booted into recovery and wiped battery stats. Restarted the phone and to my surprise it was only at 53%... after 4 hours. So I took it off and used it until it was about 4% then went to bed. I put it on my LG Qi charger on my nightstand. When I woke up it showed according to the charger that it was charged. Went downstairs, plugged it in and it showed 96%. I let it charge to 100 and rebooted to recovery and wiped stats again. We'll see if it makes any difference. Not sure how I was only at 53% after 4 hours of charging. This concerns me.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Yesterday I had decided to do an RMA. I had been getting 8 hours of battery life with maybe 2hrs of screen time. I decided to give the battery a few days first. Yesterday I let the battery die, kept the phone off, and put it on the charger. I left it there for 4 hours. I then assumed it was charged. Booted into recovery and wiped battery stats. Restarted the phone and to my surprise it was only at 53%... after 4 hours. So I took it off and used it until it was about 4% then went to bed. I put it on my LG Qi charger on my nightstand. When I woke up it showed according to the charger that it was charged. Went downstairs, plugged it in and it showed 96%. I let it charge to 100 and rebooted to recovery and wiped stats again. We'll see if it makes any difference. Not sure how I was only at 53% after 4 hours of charging. This concerns me.
    Doesn't sound good. I've heard that the wireless chargers don't always charge to 100 percent though.

Android Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by GopherDroid View Post
    Did you have alarms or other settings that would have forced the phone to wake? That's what drains the battery in such a scenario, in my experience.
    I'm on vacation, so no alarms. My phone drops quickly with the phone off. Even with sync, location, GPS off and screen set at min setting I still get 8-10 hours with around 2hrs of screen time. Going to RMA it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    Doesn't sound good. I've heard that the wireless chargers don't always charge to 100 percent though.

The four hour charge was on the wall charger.

Back to JD Plus; the increase in battery life in non-screen time is obvious.

I'm on vacation, so no alarms. My phone drops quickly with the phone off. Even with sync, location, GPS off and screen set at min setting I still get 8-10 hours with around 2hrs of screen time. Going to RMA it I think.
    That is horrible; something is definitely wrong.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

The four hour charge was on the wall charger.
    definitely a RMA candidate.

Android Evangelist
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast