Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Default Re: The so called Nexus 4 battery woes

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    So were you on data? I have found it makes a huge difference if I am getting a weak data signal vs wifi. I always turn data off and only flip it on when I need it.
    Yes, on data. Today I might try turning off data and doing the sneaky hookup to work wifi ;-)

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB15 View Post
    Yes, on data. Today I might try turning off data and doing the sneaky hookup to work wifi ;-)
    Data usage makes a huge difference. You could also just toggle off your data if you aren't using your phone and switch it on when you need it. You can still get calls and texts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

I had data and wi-fi on - does that count? (Does data turn off whilst I'm on a wi-fi connection?) I'll try switching data on/off, especially when I'm commuting to and from work as I use wi-fi at home and work. Thanks for the tips!

Data usage makes a huge difference. You could also just toggle off your data if you aren't using your phone and switch it on when you need it. You can still get calls and texts.
    This is something I'm a little hesitant about. I use fb messenger, for example, which requires a data connection. I'd also rather not sacrifice push notifications. I've already set my sync of various apps to infrequent, but I'm a bit reluctant to switch data off altogether.

I've installed JD, but haven't actually turned it on. I was thinking of setting up a basic profile to automatically switch on wifi when I'm in range of my home network, switch it off otherwise, and turn off mobile data when I'm connected to a wifi network. I figure the same thing could probably be done with Tasker as well. I could do it manually, but I'm pretty forgetful.

EDIT: is there a point to switching off mobile data if you're connected to a wifi network? Wouldn't data just default to the wifi connection meaning mobile data battery usage should be nil...?

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

This is something I'm a little hesitant about. I use fb messenger, for example, which requires a data connection. I'd also rather not sacrifice push notifications. I've already set my sync of various apps to infrequent, but I'm a bit reluctant to switch data off altogether.

I've installed JD, but haven't actually turned it on. I was thinking of setting up a basic profile to automatically switch on wifi when I'm in range of my home network, switch it off otherwise, and turn off mobile data when I'm connected to a wifi network. I figure the same thing could probably be done with Tasker as well. I could do it manually, but I'm pretty forgetful.

EDIT: is there a point to switching off mobile data if you're connected to a wifi network? Wouldn't data just default to the wifi connection meaning mobile data battery usage should be nil...?
    if you are on wifi then data turns off.

Android Evangelist

I switched from my iPhone 4 to my Nexus 4 last week. I think the battery life I'm getting with the N4 is comparable to the iPhone 4. While I do think that it could be longer, when I see the hardware and services that are running, I can understand why the drain is so much. Hopefully future optimizations will fix the drain problem. I attached my screenshots for anyone that's curious.

Forgot to add my usual usage: Unplugged it at around 10 am, it is now 11:48 pm. At home I keep wifi on and data on, sync off, bluetooth off. On the commute I have wifi off, data on, sync on, music (PowerAmp) playing and brightness on auto. Tonight I also had to drive a bit, so I had bluetooth on with streaming audio, along with wifi off, data on, bluetooth on, sync on and PowerAmp playing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The so called Nexus 4 battery woes-batterylife1.png   The so called Nexus 4 battery woes-batterylife2.png   The so called Nexus 4 battery woes-batterylife3.png  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by apu2009 View Post
    I switched from my iPhone 4 to my Nexus 4 last week. I think the battery life I'm getting with the N4 is comparable to the iPhone 4. While I do think that it could be longer, when I see the hardware and services that are running, I can understand why the drain is so much. Hopefully future optimizations will fix the drain problem. I attached my screenshots for anyone that's curious.

Forgot to add my usual usage: Unplugged it at around 10 am, it is now 11:48 pm. At home I keep wifi on and data on, sync off, bluetooth off. On the commute I have wifi off, data on, sync on, music (PowerAmp) playing and brightness on auto. Tonight I also had to drive a bit, so I had bluetooth on with streaming audio, along with wifi off, data on, bluetooth on, sync on and PowerAmp playing.
    That looks pretty normal. I agree that with some software tweaks we should see even better results.

Android Evangelist

That looks pretty normal. I agree that with some software tweaks we should see even better results.

I wish that was normal for me. I get maybe 8 hours with 2.5 hours of screen time. That's with auto brightness, WiFi on and sync off. Don't think I can keep the phone of this doesn't get better. I am coming from sensation 4g where I got about 19+ hours with my 1900mah battery and all settings enabled. I understand the screen is larger and it's quad core...but its crazy to get half the battery life, at best. I could live with 13-14 hours with 3-4 hours of on screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by Doooshty View Post
    I wish that was normal for me. I get maybe 8 hours with 2.5 hours of screen time. That's with auto brightness, WiFi on and sync off. Don't think I can keep the phone of this doesn't get better. I am coming from sensation 4g where I got about 19+ hours with my 1900mah battery and all settings enabled. I understand the screen is larger and it's quad core...but its crazy to get half the battery life, at best. I could live with 13-14 hours with 3-4 hours of on screen time.
    There is something wrong with your phone.

Did you try reinstalling Jelly Bean from a downloaded image?

Quote Originally Posted by apu2009 View Post
    Did you try reinstalling Jelly Bean from a downloaded image?
    I did a factory reset. Didn't help. I installed CM10.1 from fresh install. Didn't help. Right now I am sitting at
    4Hrs 37min with 2hrs 35min of screen on time, 31% left. I've only had the phone for around 4 days. Going to try and get a replacement

I did a factory reset. Didn't help. I installed CM10.1 from fresh install. Didn't help. Right now I am sitting at
    4Hrs 37min with 2hrs 35min of screen on time, 31% left. I've only had the phone for around 4 days. Going to try and get a replacement
    Yeah that definitely doesn't look normal. I hope the replacement goes smoothly!

Interesting. I found for the first 1-2 weeks my battery life was rubbish, and then it started improving. I've also heard that's not entirely uncommon, but can neither confirm nor deny that..

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Interesting. I found for the first 1-2 weeks my battery life was rubbish, and then it started improving. I've also heard that's not entirely uncommon, but can neither confirm nor deny that..
    Some batteries do need to get settled in.

Android Evangelist

Some batteries do need to get settled in.

I think that's an interesting point. Yesterday was the first day I used my phone in the "usual" way after having it for a week. By 11 pm I was at around 60% with about 13 hours of usage time (screen was reported to be used about 1h 30 m). The screen is definitely a huge drainer.
    Thanked by:

As I put in a thread previous, my battery seems to be the wonder battery. For normal use its usually lasts around 1.5 days before it starts to get low (Which browsing/games/wifi on etc). On some work days with low/normal use its reached over 2 days still with about 20% ish left!

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by 18SamCooke View Post
    As I put in a thread previous, my battery seems to be the wonder battery. For normal use its usually lasts around 1.5 days before it starts to get low (Which browsing/games/wifi on etc). On some work days with low/normal use its reached over 2 days still with about 20% ish left!
    it's really about screen time. If the screen is off my phone uses no power.

Android Evangelist
    Thanked by:
    codeda 

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Guys,

Google has acknowledged there is a problem with standby battery on the Nexus 4 phone. Doesn't seem to show up in all phones but lots of users reporting the same behavior, 10%/hour battery drain on standby. There is really not much you can do about it because the root of the problem seems to be a driver bug in the kernel.

There's a whole group devoted to this on Google with someone from Google saying they are aware:

This will supposedly get fixed in the next update. Sort of sad if you ask me that this is happening. Lots of us came to Nexus 4 running away from the flakiness of customization of Samsung et al. and we've landed on this bungled mess that Nexus 4 has been so far. My phone is not usable in its current state as the battery will be dead in 10 hours even without toughing the phone. Not cool Google.
    Thanked by 2:

My battery seems to be lasting me a good long while (with Data on out of the office and Wifi on while at home).

Nexus 5 16GB - JB 4.4 - Unboxed and using!
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800 - ICS 4.0.4 (Samsung)
    badbrad17 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TechZOnline View Post
    My battery seems to be lasting me a good long while (with Data on out of the office and Wifi on while at home).

Fully charged battery lasts 2.5 days! Holy crap xD

Quote Originally Posted by bartolo5 View Post
    Guys,

Google has acknowledged there is a problem with standby battery on the Nexus 4 phone. Doesn't seem to show up in all phones but lots of users reporting the same behavior, 10%/hour battery drain on standby. There is really not much you can do about it because the root of the problem seems to be a driver bug in the kernel.

There's a whole group devoted to this on Google with someone from Google saying they are aware:

This will supposedly get fixed in the next update. Sort of sad if you ask me that this is happening. Lots of us came to Nexus 4 running away from the flakiness of customization of Samsung et al. and we've landed on this bungled mess that Nexus 4 has been so far. My phone is not usable in its current state as the battery will be dead in 10 hours even without toughing the phone. Not cool Google.
    Just goes to show that they simply do not test long enough before have to crank out an update for an update of an update... it's a Sisyphus experience being an Android developer I guess.

I am just glad to hear they have identified it, acknowledged it and have a fix coming for it! Hoooooooray!

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

That is how my phones battery was too.

My RMA which is Rev 11 seems to have somewhat better battery life than my original unit (Rev10). I'm not using it differently in any way, but I've been able to get close to 3 hours screen time. Before I was barely able to approach 2 hours with average use.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by bobsacomano View Post
    My RMA which is Rev 11 seems to have somewhat better battery life than my original unit (Rev10). I'm not using it differently in any way, but I've been able to get close to 3 hours screen time. Before I was barely able to approach 2 hours with average use.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    I can easily get 4 to 5 hours of screen time. Are you on data a lot? On wifi it goes a lot longer. I also am running juice defender and still toggle a little bit as needed.

Android Evangelist

Chrome Beta caused noticeable battery drain for me on both N4 & N7.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast