The so called Nexus 4 battery woes

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I just dont see how you guys are doing it. I have like 7 or 8 apps installed. I have almost every auto sync turned off and the only things set to sync under Google Account are calendar and contacts. Today i only got like 9hrs with screen on for not even 3hrs. What the hell is going on? I'm using franco kernel on stock. Could that be the issue? How do i flash back to stock kernel?

VertigoM

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I just dont see how you guys are doing it. I have like 7 or 8 apps installed. I have almost every auto sync turned off and the only things set to sync under Google Account are calendar and contacts. Today i only got like 9hrs with screen on for not even 3hrs. What the hell is going on? I'm using franco kernel on stock. Could that be the issue? How do i flash back to stock kernel?

Turn off GPS.

VertigoM

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Bad?! Take a screen shot when you hit 4hrs+, I don't think I believe the device can come close to it. I'm not arguing with you or anything, but 3hrs is solid as far as on screen times go; anything over 3 is just gravy.

Sure, here you go. And this was with plenty of video streaming.

Screenshot_2012-12-25-21-46-44_zps7593fc37.png

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
So what would you guys say is the average screen time for the nexus 4 stock? I usually get around 2.5 to 3.5 hours on auto brightness, less if I play a lot of games. This is my first android phone so is it easy/worth it to root it to improve battery life?
Everything is relative to what you do. My tablet burns battery if I'm playing a game that is really taxing on the CPU. But can last for days if I am just surfing and streaming music here and there. I am getting 4 hours of on screen time and 14-16 off charge. I would consider myself a medium to heavy user. I feel like I am constantly on my phone. But I am on this forum more than I am playing games, so that may make a big difference. What I do know is that compared to my SGS2 I know I could go out for the evening with 60% and not be worried that I would run out. I would never make it on my SGS2 unless I had everything turned off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Bazinga11

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Everything is relative to what you do. My tablet burns battery if I'm playing a game that is really taxing on the CPU. But can last for days if I am just surfing and streaming music here and there. I am getting 4 hours of on screen time and 14-16 off charge. I would consider myself a medium to heavy user. I feel like I am constantly on my phone. But I am on this forum more than I am playing games, so that may make a big difference. What I do know is that compared to my SGS2 I know I could go out for the evening with 60% and not be worried that I would run out. I would never make it on my SGS2 unless I had everything turned off.

Do you have any of the mods that other people are using to get 4 hours of battery life. I don't know if my battery is defective or not lol I only have a few more days if I want a replacement.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I find it takes a few charging cycles for a the battery to improve. My battery life has been steadily improving over the last couple weeks. I was able to manage 4 hours of screen time with 28 total battery life with this past cycle. Mostly internet, Facebook, online news apps, texting and phone calls. No heavy media usage or games.

SteveMW

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Try turning GPS back on. Whatever app (FB?) that is trying to read you GPS position may be causing the high readings.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any of the mods that other people are using to get 4 hours of battery life. I don't know if my battery is defective or not lol I only have a few more days if I want a replacement.
What do you mean by mods?

Shadow_33

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm increasingly finding Android's multi-tasking without much use. The apps that "need" to run in the backround are usually needlessly draining the battery, such as Twitter, Pulse, etc. Unless you are actually reading every news feed, or every tweet, there's really no need for the
multi-tasking. I would gladly give it away, if it would make my cell phone stay charge for a whole day even with heavy use.
The only app I need running is the one I'm actually using. Android allows apps to just "wake up" and start doing God knows what in the background.

Tabs85

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
The option that seriously improved my battery life was stopping auto sync on everything using the control settings app. Serious improvements! just switch on sync when you need to check your emails etc etc.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I found it got better after a few days use. It also helps to load custom firmware and a good kernel.

I'm running stock, but rooted. I decided to not plug in last night just to see how the sleep mode was and how long I could go and I think that this is where this phone shines. It uses nothing in sleep mode. I only lost 3% over night. I am truly blown away by this battery and can only say that if you are not getting a full day with 4 hours of on screen time you should send yours back for a new one. I use my phone a lot and am shaking my head on how long it lasts. If Google makes it better with updates then I will be a happy camper.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, yesterday I got about 3hrs on screen time but at the risk of my battery only lasting 9hrs by the time I hit 10%. Today, with light usage (Twitter, News Readers, Texts, Emails) im at 68% after 5h 33m 39s on Battery (Screen on is 1h 5m so far). I wouldn't say thats amazing, its pretty decent, wish I was getting the numbers you all are getting though. badbrad17 mentioned over night, he only lost 3%. Thats amazing, because when I put my phone off all night I lost maybe 10% which is good but not 3% great. I think how long your phone last overnight when its asleep is a good indicator of how long it'll last real world. When my Gs2 had battery issues (like lasting maybe 5-8hrs on a charge), itd go down maybe 30% over night or more. Oh well, guess this is the battery life i'll just have to live with without gutting my phone and rendering it useless by disabling every key aspect of it just to get an extra hour or so. I have 46 apps, so maybe i'll trim that down a bit and see how it goes.

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I have no mods on my phone at all and I get 12 hours of light-medium use. I can average about 4.5 hours of screen time when surfing and probably just over 3.5 watching a video. If i'm streaming video it's barely over 3 hours. I'm on the t mobile 30 dollars 5GB, 100 minute, unlimited text plan btw. One key thing I do is go into settings > more > mobile networks and turn "use only 2G networks" on, if i'm absolutely not touching my phone or just texting (like if i'm at work). I've been able to get close to 36 hours by making sure i toggle that setting on when the phone is not in use at all. Typically i can make it through a day with no problem. My day is phone off charger at 6am to about 7pm when the phone is back on the charger.if i forget to put the 2G network setting on, i end up having to charge it around 2pm because of texting, HSPA/3G download/upload and using the faster network at lunch for an hour.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, yesterday I got about 3hrs on screen time but at the risk of my battery only lasting 9hrs by the time I hit 10%. Today, with light usage (Twitter, News Readers, Texts, Emails) im at 68% after 5h 33m 39s on Battery (Screen on is 1h 5m so far). I wouldn't say thats amazing, its pretty decent, wish I was getting the numbers you all are getting though. badbrad17 mentioned over night, he only lost 3%. Thats amazing, because when I put my phone off all night I lost maybe 10% which is good but not 3% great. I think how long your phone last overnight when its asleep is a good indicator of how long it'll last real world. When my Gs2 had battery issues (like lasting maybe 5-8hrs on a charge), itd go down maybe 30% over night or more. Oh well, guess this is the battery life i'll just have to live with without gutting my phone and rendering it useless by disabling every key aspect of it just to get an extra hour or so. I have 46 apps, so maybe i'll trim that down a bit and see how it goes.

I don't have that many apps. Plus I am on wifi and have not activated Google Now. And I have gps off.

My SGS2 would lose 40% overnight easily and could go down 25% within one hour of use.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
My sgs2 skyrocket does well with battery life mind you I'm only on 4.1.2 but either way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356634997751.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356634997751.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 25
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356635005278.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356635005278.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 27

Avenger

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
For those with bad battery, is your signal poor or inconsistent? It will kill your battery if it is always searching for or struggling to maintain a signal.

Bazinga11

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
By mods I meant the kernels and stuff(I am new to this stuff so I am not sure about some of the terminology :p) I still have 4 days to exchange it, im not sure if my battery is defective+ or not. I have installed juice defender, turned off gps, turned off sync and get full bars 95% of the time. I got around 2.5 hours of screen time yesterday but I think that was because I had almost 2 hours of phone calls.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
someguyredeye