The so called Nexus 4 battery woes

Doooshty

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Did you try reinstalling Jelly Bean from a downloaded image?

I did a factory reset. Didn't help. I installed CM10.1 from fresh install. Didn't help. Right now I am sitting at
4Hrs 37min with 2hrs 35min of screen on time, 31% left. I've only had the phone for around 4 days. Going to try and get a replacement

apu2009

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I did a factory reset. Didn't help. I installed CM10.1 from fresh install. Didn't help. Right now I am sitting at
4Hrs 37min with 2hrs 35min of screen on time, 31% left. I've only had the phone for around 4 days. Going to try and get a replacement

Yeah that definitely doesn't look normal. I hope the replacement goes smoothly!

SimonB15

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

Interesting. I found for the first 1-2 weeks my battery life was rubbish, and then it started improving. I've also heard that's not entirely uncommon, but can neither confirm nor deny that..

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I found for the first 1-2 weeks my battery life was rubbish, and then it started improving. I've also heard that's not entirely uncommon, but can neither confirm nor deny that..
Some batteries do need to get settled in.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

apu2009

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Some batteries do need to get settled in.

I think that's an interesting point. Yesterday was the first day I used my phone in the "usual" way after having it for a week. By 11 pm I was at around 60% with about 13 hours of usage time (screen was reported to be used about 1h 30 m). The screen is definitely a huge drainer.

18SamCooke

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
As I put in a thread previous, my battery seems to be the wonder battery. For normal use its usually lasts around 1.5 days before it starts to get low (Which browsing/games/wifi on etc). On some work days with low/normal use its reached over 2 days still with about 20% ish left!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
As I put in a thread previous, my battery seems to be the wonder battery. For normal use its usually lasts around 1.5 days before it starts to get low (Which browsing/games/wifi on etc). On some work days with low/normal use its reached over 2 days still with about 20% ish left!
it's really about screen time. If the screen is off my phone uses no power.

bartolo5

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Guys,

Google has acknowledged there is a problem with standby battery on the Nexus 4 phone. Doesn't seem to show up in all phones but lots of users reporting the same behavior, 10%/hour battery drain on standby. There is really not much you can do about it because the root of the problem seems to be a driver bug in the kernel.

There's a whole group devoted to this on Google with someone from Google saying they are aware:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/mobile/jO65dcM7J2Y/6yuFEWTBOscJ

This will supposedly get fixed in the next update. Sort of sad if you ask me that this is happening. Lots of us came to Nexus 4 running away from the flakiness of customization of Samsung et al. and we've landed on this bungled mess that Nexus 4 has been so far. My phone is not usable in its current state as the battery will be dead in 10 hours even without toughing the phone. Not cool Google.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Guys,

Google has acknowledged there is a problem with standby battery on the Nexus 4 phone. Doesn't seem to show up in all phones but lots of users reporting the same behavior, 10%/hour battery drain on standby. There is really not much you can do about it because the root of the problem seems to be a driver bug in the kernel.

There's a whole group devoted to this on Google with someone from Google saying they are aware:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/mobile/jO65dcM7J2Y/6yuFEWTBOscJ

This will supposedly get fixed in the next update. Sort of sad if you ask me that this is happening. Lots of us came to Nexus 4 running away from the flakiness of customization of Samsung et al. and we've landed on this bungled mess that Nexus 4 has been so far. My phone is not usable in its current state as the battery will be dead in 10 hours even without toughing the phone. Not cool Google.

Just goes to show that they simply do not test long enough before have to crank out an update for an update of an update... it's a Sisyphus experience being an Android developer I guess.

I am just glad to hear they have identified it, acknowledged it and have a fix coming for it! Hoooooooray!

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
My RMA which is Rev 11 seems to have somewhat better battery life than my original unit (Rev10). I'm not using it differently in any way, but I've been able to get close to 3 hours screen time. Before I was barely able to approach 2 hours with average use.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My RMA which is Rev 11 seems to have somewhat better battery life than my original unit (Rev10). I'm not using it differently in any way, but I've been able to get close to 3 hours screen time. Before I was barely able to approach 2 hours with average use.

I can easily get 4 to 5 hours of screen time. Are you on data a lot? On wifi it goes a lot longer. I also am running juice defender and still toggle a little bit as needed.

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I can easily get 4 to 5 hours of screen time. Are you on data a lot? On wifi it goes a lot longer. I also am running juice defender and still toggle a little bit as needed.

Mobile data most of the time, and I usually get full bars. The new phone just seems to have better battery life. Could be a placebo effect, but I doubt it. I am very pleased with my Nexus 4 now that I have a better unit thanks to the RMA.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Have to say, CyanogenMod 10.1 with the Franco Kernel is noticeably better on battery life than the stock ROM.

GlowyBubbles

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot_2013-01-19-18-39-27_zpsa160db11.png

Screenshot_2013-01-19-18-41-26_zps6041a5d4.png

Haii everyone. On my Nexus 4, the Google Play Store app, Gallery, and Google Search apps have been always running. Does anyone know how to close them? (They're not "running", as in I checked the multitasking thingy and they don't appear. But apparently, they're using battery.). I want to improve battery life, so I want to close those applications. Can anyone please help? Thanks. :).

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Mobile data most of the time, and I usually get full bars. The new phone just seems to have better battery life. Could be a placebo effect, but I doubt it. I am very pleased with my Nexus 4 now that I have a better unit thanks to the RMA.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD
that would be why. I'm on wifi most of the time which helps. Glad it worked out.

moonister

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I can't help but think that the "battery industry" should get their act together because there's been little or no innovation for years. I appreciate all tips and tricks to preserve the battery but it's dreadful when you think that your device will die in 3 h if you use it properly to full extent. Also I don't quite understand why LG / Google could not fit bigger battery, they are not that big anyway. I personally wouldn't mind slightly thicker size so that I don't have to constantly worry about the juice. It actually applies to all phones not just nexus, well maybe except RAZR maxx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781