Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

Default Re: Adreno 320 vs Mali MP4? S4 Pro Vs Exynos

This fight isn't even about phone hardware anymore.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #102  

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshadow001 View Post
    This fight isn't even about phone hardware anymore.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Its about software pulling the hardware down.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    It comes down to a software issue. Just like the CPU score too. Anandtech proved its 1066 by actually showing you the RAM chips. Like I said in the ing beginning of all this arguing.
    I can only wait but I am not hopeful that somehow magically Nexus 4 would start performing better at least better than Note 2 with older CPU and GPU. Being a potential nexus 4 owner I am also in the same boat as everybody else on this nexus 4 forum but I do not have high hopes anymore. When nexus 4 was announced and after watching benchmark scores on anandtech I was very excited and my excited was shattered when i see the real world performance. I would see you guys on the same topic in the same thread after one month and let see where we would stand. I am already sacrifying lots of useful feature of note 2 over the performance gain on nexus 4 (low quality camera, sound, storage and no otg support are my biggest disappointments). If nothing happens then i would just wait for exynos 5 in Galaxy S4 and move on.

Even if it is software then still it is not acceptable to leave consumers suffer or nexus program is still not for consumers rather for google's optimization and bug fixing on android and for developers to develop and optimize their apps? Thats what it used to be.

What about Optimus g then? It is also being pulled down by software even though it is 4.0.4 not 4.2.1?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #106  

It isn't acceptable I agree with you there. It'll be fixed. Software can be fixed/patched hardware can't.

Considering I paid ebay price for this phone, not google play store price, I should be even more disappointed. I live in middle east and I ordered all the way from US just to get my hand on it because it was not available in the market unlike all other phones. The limited / none availability is ridiculous as well. How hard is it to manufacture few million units? It seems they only supply few thousands at one time and this is why i have to buy from ebay.

It isn't acceptable I agree with you there. It'll be fixed. Software can be fixed/patched hardware can't.
    What about Optimus G then? Does software needs fix there as well?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #109  

Quote Originally Posted by saadi703 View Post
    Considering I paid ebay price for this phone, not google play store price, I should be even more disappointed. I live in middle east and I ordered all the way from US just to get my hand on it because it was not available in the market unlike all other phones. The limited / none availability is ridiculous as well. How hard is it to manufacture few million units? It seems they only supply few thousands at one time and this is why i have to buy from ebay.
    I don't think anyone would argue that. Can we get back on topic? Or is this thread dead?

It comes down to a software issue. Just like the CPU score too. Anandtech proved its 1066 by actually showing you the RAM chips. Like I said in the ing beginning of all this arguing.
    Does anandtech anywhere mentioned in detail about nexus 4 ram and its clock speed and data rate? I am not able to find it. For iPhone 5 its there but not for nexus 4.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #111  

They showed you the motherboard and all the chips and gave you detailed specs in the post I linked. What more do you need?

They showed you the motherboard and all the chips and gave you detailed specs in the post I linked. What more do you need?
    Where? Which link? I probably have missed it.

I don't think anyone would argue that. Can we get back on topic? Or is this thread dead?
    The thread is dead because in real world i do not see any mind blowing performance and paper specs does not matter if the real world performance does not backed up the numbers. Older devices are doing better and its been one month since launch and situation is same. No improvement so obviously thread would go dead. I would only call that hardware better which would give me performance and truth is right now note 2 give better performance and overall great extra features over nexus 4. So thread would remain dead until nexus 4 performance improve. This is why i am saying I would see you after a one more month. 2 months of the nexus 4 life time.

Where? Which link? I probably have missed it.
    I just went back to last page and i have found your link. Now i am going to go through it. Yes they have mentioned about ram here being 1066 data rate.

Not only youtube videos but also benchmarks and real world gaming performance which I have seen from my own eyes and as well as youtube is full of it. Disappointing performance from a so called next gen CpU
    YouTube videos and benchmarks... those don't validate your arguments.

I'm at a loss, I give up.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,000 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Then get a Note 2 and be happy.

In 6 months when the next version of Android comes out the Nexus is GUARANTEED to get it. The Note 2 will probably get it, 3 months later.

Then 6 months after that another version of android will be released. Guess what? Nexus will get it. Note 2 won't. But wait, you'll have moved on to a new phone by then? It still won't run the most current version of Android, unless you get another Nexus. In which I expect a thread just like this to pop up from you.

I still can't figure out how it's so hard to understand that 4.2 doesn't equal just the Nexus 4 and that optimizing for new framework vs optimizing for new hardware are different things.

You brought up RAM. RAM wasn't part of the original discussion. The hardware was. And the HARDWARE is superior. Look at the white papers for both chips and you'll see that it's more advanced.

Real world performance that you're so keen in bringing up isn't just about hardware.

Yes, the Optimus G is held back by software. Samsung has had more time to optimize for its much older Exynos chip than anyone has for the brand new S4 Pro.

But I guess the idea of driver optimization escapes you. That would be the closest computer analogy I can come up with. That's why GPU performance of computers can improve. They optimize the software for the hardware.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by 2:
    TheLibertarian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Then get a Note 2 and be happy.

In 6 months when the next version of Android comes out the Nexus is GUARANTEED to get it. The Note 2 will probably get it, 3 months later.

Then 6 months after that another version of android will be released. Guess what? Nexus will get it. Note 2 won't. But wait, you'll have moved on to a new phone by then? It still won't run the most current version of Android, unless you get another Nexus. In which I expect a thread just like this to pop up from you.

I still can't figure out how it's so hard to understand that 4.2 doesn't equal just the Nexus 4 and that optimizing for new framework vs optimizing for new hardware are different things.

You brought up RAM. RAM wasn't part of the original discussion. The hardware was. And the HARDWARE is superior. Look at the white papers for both chips and you'll see that it's more advanced.

Real world performance that you're so keen in bringing up isn't just about hardware.

Yes, the Optimus G is held back by software. Samsung has had more time to optimize for its much older Exynos chip than anyone has for the brand new S4 Pro.

But I guess the idea of driver optimization escapes you. That would be the closest computer analogy I can come up with. That's why GPU performance of computers can improve. They optimize the software for the hardware.

If the new version is similar upgrade which was from 4.1 to 4.2 then I do not need the new upgrade. I do not have to buy note 2 as I am using it from last 3 months and if you have missed it then let me tell you that I have already bought Nexus 4 and it is shipped already. Hopefully I would receive in 1-2 days but if nothing changes (as you people are predicting) as far as performance is concerned then I would sell Nexus 4 and buy S4 whenever it would come out provided it has Exynos 5. I am not going to sell my note 2 anyway. People failed to understand that these small software upgrades does not matter on android and android itself is customize able. Samsung devices are already well optimized so they do not need any project butter and this is why S3 on 4.0.4 was equally fast as it is now on 4.1.1. The premium suit for S3 is on its way which would add so many stuff and note 2 already has that premium suit out of the box.

So I would keep a close watch on progress of things using my Nexus 4 and how much the claims made here turn into reality. I would be a very happy person if Nexus 4 becomes the device imagined by people in this thread. I have always wished for an android phone with buttery smooth performance both in apps and games. Let see...
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #118  

The S3 on Touchwiz was not fast....My friend and I both (I don't own it) noticed a big difference in performance after I put CM10 on it when the nightlies first came out. Project butter did wonders for his phone.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,000 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The S3 on Touchwiz was not fast....My friend and I both (I don't own it) noticed a big difference in performance after I put CM10 on it when the nightlies first came out. Project butter did wonders for his phone.
    The touchwiz Jelly Bean update made a noticeable performance improvement on my coworkers S3. He noticed it, and isn't a phone geek.

Software matters. If for no other reason than security patches. There are also new features, like Google Now. With all the bloat of Touchwiz, though, it might not be noticeable.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #120  

The touchwiz Jelly Bean update made a noticeable performance improvement on my coworkers S3. He noticed it, and isn't a phone geek.

Software matters. If for no other reason than security patches. There are also new features, like Google Now. With all the bloat of Touchwiz, though, it might not be noticeable.

I was referring to 4.0.4 to CM10. This was a couple months back.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,000 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I was referring to 4.0.4 to CM10. This was a couple months back.
    Ahh ok. I think I quoted you but worded my reply toward someone else, kind of to emphasize the fact that even a point release like 4.1 can bring noticeable improvements that even the average non techy person will notice.

Got my Nexus 4 yesterday and according to Kevin it is mind blowing but I have not found a single mind blowing thing about this device. I have made a kind of unboxing video (though it is not unboxing but....) which I would attach here in few minutes as a proof that I am a owner of Nexus 4 but I speak truth rather than oh my device is best out there. I have also made videos of few of the games that I have installed and I would also share them here. Truth is that I have found nothing to be exciting about as far as performance is concerned. No matter whatever you say about the Note 2 hardware it is giving me much better gaming as well as apps performance. Even facebook works much better on Note 2 than Nexus 4 which at times fail to bring comments and get the circle just kept on spinning. Also the device runs hot, the CPU temp is ok but battery temp is way to high even under then normal use. It has severe thermal throttling problem which I have confirmed after running apps like CPU Spy, Battery Dr Saver and System Tunner for monitoring of Temp as well as cores and frequency. Under normal use Nexus is very close to thermal throttling and as soon as you start any game within couple of minutes it starts to throttle and game start of lag. What is so mind blowing about it?

The first time I ran the benchmark and I got very low score and I was wondering what is going now and then I found this problem. For GL Benchmark to score properly I have to leave the device idle for few minutes and let it cool down. After that I ran the test and it gave me onscreen and offscreen score of GL Benchmark HD 2.5 as 39 and 30 which is very good but if I am using the phone regularly i.e. web browsing etc. and I start the benchmark then score comes out 25 and 18 only. This is again because of thermal throttling issue. What good is the hardware which can not perform according to its potential. Either there is problem with S4 Pro or Nexus 4 design but it is too bad. I like the screen though. The battery life is also below avg on Nexus 4 or may be I spoiled by Note 2 and iPhone battery life.

If you do not like Touch wiz then root and install CM 10.1. I personally like what Touch Wizz offer as extra which really enhance the experience. Nexus devices always lack in appeal and hardware but I thought Nexus 4 is different after considering the design and hardware. I have used Galaxy Nexus as well which I only kept for 2 weeks because it was bad at everything.

Here is the link of my Nexus 4 video:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast