Adreno 320 vs Mali MP4? S4 Pro Vs Exynos

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Adreno 320 is way faster than the Mali-400. The S4 Pro is way faster than the Exynos Quad.

Proof? Aside from just knowing it's a fact consider that the S4 dual in the US Galaxy S3's were almost as fast as the Exynos Quad.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
the S series has always been slower than the samsung designed chips as far as I knew it. Just like the dual core exynos in the note 1 is much faster than the S3.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Exynos is faster than S4 Pro however Andreno 320 is faster than Mali MP4.

Below the are Antutu 3.0 benchmark comparison shots of Note 2 with LG Nexus 4 and LG Optimus G and they clearly shows that Note 2 is good in every department except GPU where andreno 320 shines but this does not essentially translate into better gaming as I find many games still run better on Note 2 than on Nexus 4. For example, Need for Speed Most Wanted runs much smoother on Note 2 than on Nexus 4.

No Nexus 4 does not out perform note 2 on geekbench 2.

Sunsider benchmark show note 2 superiority as well where lower is better and note score 1027 and Nexus 4 score 1800+

Quadrant is a benchmark which I usually don't care about and it's results are miss leading at times but even here Note 2 score close to 7000 and Nexus only manages 4700 to 4800 range.

I do not have screenshot of vellamo but here again Note 2 is better than Nexus 4.

I have note 2 and I have already ordered Nexus 4 only because of superior GPU but after finding all this I am thinking about selling my Nexus 4 unopened as soon as I receive it. I know people would hate me for saying this but if gaming is most important to you then you are better of with iOS than android. Android gaming is a mixed bag and would always remain the mixed bag because of the nature of the platform.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-09-10-11-32.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-09-10-11-32.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_2012-12-08-18-08-54.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-08-18-08-54.png
    315.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot_2012-11-16-03-24-28.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-16-03-24-28.png
    223.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Screenshot_2012-11-21-10-48-26.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-21-10-48-26.png
    191.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_2012-11-14-23-20-25.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-14-23-20-25.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 125

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I have just replied to this thread but where is my post?

Update: This has happened twice :-( I replied to this thread again with attachments and all but once I submit it, it does not show it here :-(

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
So the note 2 is faster all around? I figured the samsung CPU would be better. Seems like adreno and snapdragon CPU's aren't the greatest. And NFS Most wanted performance should be buttery smooth on my note 1 it pretty much is.

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Its not the point. I'm not worried about lag. I want to be able to use this phone for another 1-2 years and not have to worry about stuff like the galaxy nexus does. It lags on NFS MW. Don't get me wrong the nexus is beast I just want to make sure its future proof. Knowing which is faster too helps too. Doesn't hurt to have more knowledge about both devices. No one has the technical specs of both GPUs? I assume they're both quad cores? Fill rate? Etc?

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Its not the point. I'm not worried about lag. I want to be able to use this phone for another 1-2 years and not have to worry about stuff like the galaxy nexus does. It lags on NFS MW. Don't get me wrong the nexus is beast I just want to make sure its future proof. Knowing which is faster too helps too. Doesn't hurt to have more knowledge about both devices. No one has the technical specs of both GPUs? I assume they're both quad cores? Fill rate? Etc?

This is my problem as well. However as far as gaming is concerned no android phone is future proof rather they can not run high end tittles of today correctly. Apps and OS performance of every high end android phone is great and I love it however gaming is still the area which needs to be improved. Nexus 4 has done well in GL benchmark and I was hoping that for the first time android is going to have a gaming beast but later on I have found out that this is the not the case as real world story is different. People are claiming that Nexus 4 has better score or at least on par with iPhone 5 in GL Benchmark HD 2.5 frame rates per second test which is true and this was a good news and first time an android phone was able to do so in recent times however thats half of the story. The other half is that for triangle fill rates etc. Nexus 4 is way below iPhone 5 and sometimes half as good as iPhone 5. So this explains so of the lags that can be seen on some of the high end games. Most games works great on Nexus 4 and there are no issues however if you are looking for a gaming phone which would be good for next 2 years then according to my opinion there is no single handset available in the market as of now. I have high hope with Samsung Galaxy S4 and Exynos 5 and I hope that my hopes would not be shattered once again. I was hoping that Nexus 4 would be the answer of my gaming needs. I love android as a mobile operating system and I want to use an android cell phone but I also love gaming on mobile devices. Currently, no android cell phone is good enough for high end gaming. I am not talking about casual gaming because such games works fine on every other cell phone. I have seen a video on youtube where a guy was playing GTA Vice City on Nexus 4 and it was exhibiting lags. Modern Combat 4 would be another test which I hope would be out soon.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

At the moment only solution is use any good android phone as your phone and for some casual to hardcore-ish (I know there is no such word but I have just made one :) ) gaming and for gaming needs use iPad 4 for mobile gaming. I know it is not ideal solution because I myself do not carry my iPad everywhere and sometimes you only have mobile phone with you and you are stuck waiting for something. For that time you can enjoy casual gaming or hardcore games that works well on your cell phone.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

If you are in the market for a gaming cell phone and it has to be an android phone then I would advise you to wait for some time and let the better options to come out and then you can decide. I have high hopes about Samsung Galaxy S4 so let see what happens.

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Thats not true the Vibrant stands the test of time for gaming. It plays 90% of most games pretty damn well despite the ancient hardware. Last time I saw my friend test out a game dead trigger ran great on it. And its not so much gaming I care about but I dont want to start up a game I think will be fun in 6 months and it run like . My S3 in my Note sucks and I don't want a repeat experience.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Thats not true the Vibrant stands the test of time for gaming. It plays 90% of most games pretty damn well despite the ancient hardware. Last time I saw my friend test out a game dead trigger ran great on it. And its not so much gaming I care about but I dont want to start up a game I think will be fun in 6 months and it run like . My S3 in my Note sucks and I don't want a repeat experience.

It runs games in low resolution and low texture detail so obviously it would run the game fine however we are talking about high resolution and detailed texture gaming. To me as soon as the phone is not able to run the game in full glory then the useful life of the phone (as far as gaming is concerned) is over. Let me tell you how gaming graphics settings works: Most gaming developer has a game setting file where it is written that during the run time game would chose the graphics resolution and texture details based on the hardware of the cell phone. Now vibrant is sitting at the lowest category devices so it has to run low resolution graphics and less detailed textures so obviously it looks to run games smoothly but when you compare the same game running on any high end phone then you realize that how good the actual game looks like. People who are using old devices did not realize that how good graphics and effect the game has until they see a high end device running the same game. Without knowing this they just keep on thinking that it is the game that has bad graphics and their device is still running fine. I have seen many people on forums and play store commenting that Asphalt 6 had better graphics than Asphalt 7 :) This is not true as the newer game would always comes up with better graphics however they say it based on their experience. What happens is that their device is good enough to run the Asphalt 6 in full glory whereas their device can only run Asphalt 7 is low settings and they think the game has bad graphics. Games select graphic settings automatically without even the knowledge of the user.

Now lets get to your problem that you are facing with S3. The problem with S3 is that every game developer put S3 in high end gaming device list so the poor S3 tries to run every game in it's full glory but at times the hardware falls short and this is were you see lags and think that S3 is not aging well. Soon S3 would be in low end devices then it would start running games in low detail so people would become happy. To me the useful life (as far as gaming is concerned) of an android phone is 6 months. If the phone is not able to run the game in high details then time to sell it. This is my opinion and your can be different. Only iOS devices are aging well.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

I hope that you do not have north america version of S3 which does not have Mali 400 rather it has adreno 225

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I hope that you do not have north america version of S3 which does not have Mali 400 rather it has adreno 225

I'm talking about the Snapdragon S3. Not the Galaxy S3. And the vibrant games I've seen run look identical besides the resolution to my note.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer