Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Jellybean w/ Baggage

Jellybean is amazing, and its just great on the Nexus 4, its fast its responsive and it looks cleaner than a crew cut.

My only reservation is in Googles decision in having a loose requirement for developers application icons, their UI is so clean and sleek then it is completely ruined by these low resolution icons, icons that are smaller than others, and some that have just disgusting colour combinations, the one thing apple did right was have form factor in their icons.

Whats even worse is that after all these years of the android community putting up with these disgusting apps, they still to this day have not found a way to change or edit icons (without of course using a 3rd party launcher, or shortcuts)

WHY would i want to lose my beautiful 4.2 experience to use something like APEX or GO Launcher which lets face it... they are nothing in comparison to 4.2.

I might just be black sheep in the bunch, or maybe i have sensitive eyes. But its really a problem for me!

How are you guys coping with this?

Default Re: Jellybean w/ Baggage

Forget about GO, but Apex & Nova are based off 4.2 & are buttery smooth to me.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

What about battery life? Apex and Nova were not smooth for me, well not as smooth as pure 4.2.1.
    I didnt like some of the ergonomic changes and layouts that Nova and Apex brought, I only want to change the Icons...

And then there is the hit on resources, what kinda drain does running another UI ontop of a UI take on a OS? I know we have 4 cores and a notable amount of RAM available to us in the N4, but for me why would i want to waste any?

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser Carter View Post
    What about battery life? Apex and Nova were not smooth for me, well not as smooth as pure 4.2.1.
    I didnt like some of the ergonomic changes and layouts that Nova and Apex brought, I only want to change the Icons...

And then there is the hit on resources, what kinda drain does running another UI ontop of a UI take on a OS? I know we have 4 cores and a notable amount of RAM available to us in the N4, but for me why would i want to waste any?
    You really cant change just the icons?! Isnt it possible by just going to the root files and placing other icons or something?

Forgive me, i never had an android device but being based on Linux i thought you can root anything and everything and make changes as you want.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

yes, im under the impression that this is possible, but i cant seem to find anybody who has done it, and im just scratching my head as to why...

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser Carter View Post
    yes, im under the impression that this is possible, but i cant seem to find anybody who has done it, and im just scratching my head as to why...
    Again i'm not an Android user yet but i searched Google now and from what i understand, if you have access to the files of the phone you can get the APK files (which according to the info are just ZIP files) and open them, replace the icon with other icons and then place it back.

Makes sense?
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yes makes sense I came across that too. I'm just surprised that somebody hasn't come up with a easy app to inject new icons into the apks or to inject themes like launches do but on stock OS

I might end up editing my icons manually it looks like

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums