Nexus 4 Water damage help

John Miles

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I'm a noob poster and I did search but didn't see anything with this particular question. Im hoping that maybe someone has an answer for me. My Nexus 4 fell into the sink real quick while i was doing dishes. It was maybe in there for like half a second and not the entire phone, just the bottom half (Lower speaker, mic, power cord plug in.)Surprisingly the only thing that doesn't work is the receiver. People cannot hear me when i talk and the voice to text doesn't work. Im trying the rice routine for now and hoping that it fixes it.

I'm hoping that I can get a replacement phone with warranty but i guess that depends if my liquid indicator has been tripped. Does anyone know where this is inside the phone? If its on the upper half i should be OK. Or maybe is there something else i can try to get this receiver to work again.

Love the phone but have only had it 1 day so this is a real bummer. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Water damage is not covered by any warranty. If the rice treatment doesn't fix it, you might just be out of luck. Just buy a new one and this time, don't drop it in water!

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Leave it powered off and put it in a bag of white rice for a few days

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

V-Tech

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Like yfan said, no warranty covers water damage, never been and neve will probably.

Your best chances is with the rice trick. My wife dropped her BB in the sink and the rice thingy really helped.

John Miles

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Like yfan said, no warranty covers water damage, never been and neve will probably.

Your best chances is with the rice trick. My wife dropped her BB in the sink and the rice thingy really helped.
Yeah i never heard about this until today, a lot of coworkers said that this works awesome. One of them lost her Iphone in a lake. They found it after a couple minutes at the bottom. She put it in rice for a week and says that it works great again. I cant believe that it would work so well.So im crossing my fingers now and hoping that it will work. If not i can always use bluetooth or a headphone microphone i guess.

mightydrake

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to let you know that I dropped my Nexus 4 in water. The phone was completely submerge for 4-5 seconds. I put it in rice overnight, everything works except the bottom mic just like you. Nobody can hear me. I will continue the rice bag treatment for another day, hoping it will work.

If it doesn't work, the parts that needs to be replaced is the daughterboard. The only way to acquire one now, is to buy the complete screen assembly and it costs like 170$. Not cheap...

Have you had any luck with yours so far ?

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to let you know that I dropped my Nexus 4 in water. The phone was completely submerge for 4-5 seconds. I put it in rice overnight, everything works except the bottom mic just like you. Nobody can hear me. I will continue the rice bag treatment for another day, hoping it will work.

If it doesn't work, the parts that needs to be replaced is the daughterboard. The only way to acquire one now, is to buy the complete screen assembly and it costs like 170$. Not cheap...

Have you had any luck with yours so far ?

If it doesn't work after a week or so, I think you have to replace it. You shouldn't drop your nexus 4 :p

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Unlucky guys! I've used the rice works a charm. A good idea is if you good enough to take it apart maybe do so and drain it out and rice each part individually. One of my mates also said that methylated spirits as it evaporates quickly, but i wouldn't try that. You would think it would be the mic broken not the mother board? unless its built onto the motherboard.

Final resort is to mail it into Google or Lg for repair (not warranty) that would probably work out cheaper then a new mobile.
Best of luck, I hope it works out well for you. I wish they would make a good looking water proof phone these days, all the other water proof phones look like bricks i would build a house with.

Jennifer Ortman

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
A relative set my phone above the kitchen sink on Christmas Morning and within moments I received a text message, and Ker-Plunk! into the dishwater dove my brand new Nexus 4. I immediately plucked it out of the sink shook as much water out of the battery charging port and the speakers and the sim slot. and buried it in a bowl of rice. Blizzard warnings not withstanding I poured it into a Ziploc baggie gently set it into my suitcase and left it in my car in the frigid temperatures ensconced in rice and trapped in plastic. Out to my car I did rush, upon waking the morning after the blizzard raged all day and the street sweepers swept all night carting the icy snow from the slippery streets. I tore open the plastic to grasp at my Nexus 4 swiftly and briskly I blew away all the rice dust and polished the surface gleaming so brightly. The ever so gently I slipped in the sim...and I pressed the power button. and I pressed the power button again but more firmly. Once more I tried my luck, and no response came forward. With heavy heart I resigned myself to the fate of a really expensive quadrangle prism and went up to my office to mourn.

Once last effort did occur to me, to charge the battery and see if perhaps, it just needed a little outside help to rise from its coma, and I hesitantly inserted the mini-USB charging cable...and got a bright red light...that went out. Many a swear word a silent fervent prayer did I imagine mumbling as I slowly disconnected the charger and reconnected it. this time the little red light flashed at me, for nearly 2 minutes (yes I timed it). and then it went dark. I gave it a minute to think and to ponder the unkindness it would be to remain comatose and die from such a small slip of fate.

Then I firmly depressed the power button on the side for a moment and saw the most magically hope inspiring vision "Google" in white letters on the black screen, soon followed by the quardricolored rotating Nexus X of Life. No word on damage to speakers yet, still charging it @ 25% right now, but it connects to the network and my other apps just fine right now.

promanex

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
A relative set my phone above the kitchen sink on Christmas Morning and within moments I received a text message, and Ker-Plunk! into the dishwater dove my brand new Nexus 4. I immediately plucked it out of the sink shook as much water out of the battery charging port and the speakers and the sim slot. and buried it in a bowl of rice. Blizzard warnings not withstanding I poured it into a Ziploc baggie gently set it into my suitcase and left it in my car in the frigid temperatures ensconced in rice and trapped in plastic. Out to my car I did rush, upon waking the morning after the blizzard raged all day and the street sweepers swept all night carting the icy snow from the slippery streets. I tore open the plastic to grasp at my Nexus 4 swiftly and briskly I blew away all the rice dust and polished the surface gleaming so brightly. The ever so gently I slipped in the sim...and I pressed the power button. and I pressed the power button again but more firmly. Once more I tried my luck, and no response came forward. With heavy heart I resigned myself to the fate of a really expensive quadrangle prism and went up to my office to mourn.

Once last effort did occur to me, to charge the battery and see if perhaps, it just needed a little outside help to rise from its coma, and I hesitantly inserted the mini-USB charging cable...and got a bright red light...that went out. Many a swear word a silent fervent prayer did I imagine mumbling as I slowly disconnected the charger and reconnected it. this time the little red light flashed at me, for nearly 2 minutes (yes I timed it). and then it went dark. I gave it a minute to think and to ponder the unkindness it would be to remain comatose and die from such a small slip of fate.

Then I firmly depressed the power button on the side for a moment and saw the most magically hope inspiring vision "Google" in white letters on the black screen, soon followed by the quardricolored rotating Nexus X of Life. No word on damage to speakers yet, still charging it @ 25% right now, but it connects to the network and my other apps just fine right now.

That was annoying to read...

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Try getting several of them dessicant bags, the ones in lots of oriental food products and stick em in the bag of rice. Couldn't hurt.

Sent from my mako :)p)

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
That was annoying to read...

Dude! I was thinking the same exact thing. My God, a phone fell in the sink. No need to write a novel about it with so many cliche adjectives and verbs. Good lord! I really wanted to see how the phone turned out but hated reading all of that.

doug9000

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Way to drive of the hot chicks dudes. If ya can't bother to read at least look at the pretty avatar. Welcome to the forum Jennifer.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I kind of liked it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
one thing you all need to know is one day in the rice is not enough. You can still short out the phone if it's not dry. You need 3 days minimum. Especially with an enclosed phone. If you turn it on too soon you can kill it. My daughter dropped her blackberry into a swimming pool. Sunk right to the bottom. Put it in a bowl of rice for 3 days and it worked perfectly. Still works after 6 months. I read up on this and the biggest mistake people make is turning the device on too quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums