Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Hello,

    I'm a noob poster and I did search but didn't see anything with this particular question. Im hoping that maybe someone has an answer for me. My Nexus 4 fell into the sink real quick while i was doing dishes. It was maybe in there for like half a second and not the entire phone, just the bottom half (Lower speaker, mic, power cord plug in.)Surprisingly the only thing that doesn't work is the receiver. People cannot hear me when i talk and the voice to text doesn't work. Im trying the rice routine for now and hoping that it fixes it.

    I'm hoping that I can get a replacement phone with warranty but i guess that depends if my liquid indicator has been tripped. Does anyone know where this is inside the phone? If its on the upper half i should be OK. Or maybe is there something else i can try to get this receiver to work again.

    Love the phone but have only had it 1 day so this is a real bummer. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
  2. #2  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    798 Posts
    Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Water damage is not covered by any warranty. If the rice treatment doesn't fix it, you might just be out of luck. Just buy a new one and this time, don't drop it in water!
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Leave it powered off and put it in a bag of white rice for a few days

    Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  
    V-Tech's Avatar

    Posts
    380 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Like yfan said, no warranty covers water damage, never been and neve will probably.

    Your best chances is with the rice trick. My wife dropped her BB in the sink and the rice thingy really helped.
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    I have to ask...why were you washing the dishes with your Nexus 4? Did a sponge not suffice?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Quote Originally Posted by D3lit3 View Post
    I have to ask...why were you washing the dishes with your Nexus 4? Did a sponge not suffice?
    Heh i figured it could help to get the grease out that normal sponges couldnt!
    TauSigmaNova likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Quote Originally Posted by V-Tech View Post
    Like yfan said, no warranty covers water damage, never been and neve will probably.

    Your best chances is with the rice trick. My wife dropped her BB in the sink and the rice thingy really helped.
    Yeah i never heard about this until today, a lot of coworkers said that this works awesome. One of them lost her Iphone in a lake. They found it after a couple minutes at the bottom. She put it in rice for a week and says that it works great again. I cant believe that it would work so well.So im crossing my fingers now and hoping that it will work. If not i can always use bluetooth or a headphone microphone i guess.
  8. #8  
    mightydrake's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Just wanted to let you know that I dropped my Nexus 4 in water. The phone was completely submerge for 4-5 seconds. I put it in rice overnight, everything works except the bottom mic just like you. Nobody can hear me. I will continue the rice bag treatment for another day, hoping it will work.

    If it doesn't work, the parts that needs to be replaced is the daughterboard. The only way to acquire one now, is to buy the complete screen assembly and it costs like 170$. Not cheap...

    Have you had any luck with yours so far ?
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Quote Originally Posted by mightydrake View Post
    Just wanted to let you know that I dropped my Nexus 4 in water. The phone was completely submerge for 4-5 seconds. I put it in rice overnight, everything works except the bottom mic just like you. Nobody can hear me. I will continue the rice bag treatment for another day, hoping it will work.

    If it doesn't work, the parts that needs to be replaced is the daughterboard. The only way to acquire one now, is to buy the complete screen assembly and it costs like 170$. Not cheap...

    Have you had any luck with yours so far ?
    If it doesn't work after a week or so, I think you have to replace it. You shouldn't drop your nexus 4 :P
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Temp work around is to go with bluetooth!
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Unlucky guys! I've used the rice works a charm. A good idea is if you good enough to take it apart maybe do so and drain it out and rice each part individually. One of my mates also said that methylated spirits as it evaporates quickly, but i wouldn't try that. You would think it would be the mic broken not the mother board? unless its built onto the motherboard.

    Final resort is to mail it into Google or Lg for repair (not warranty) that would probably work out cheaper then a new mobile.
    Best of luck, I hope it works out well for you. I wish they would make a good looking water proof phone these days, all the other water proof phones look like bricks i would build a house with.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  12. #12  

    Wink Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    A relative set my phone above the kitchen sink on Christmas Morning and within moments I received a text message, and Ker-Plunk! into the dishwater dove my brand new Nexus 4. I immediately plucked it out of the sink shook as much water out of the battery charging port and the speakers and the sim slot. and buried it in a bowl of rice. Blizzard warnings not withstanding I poured it into a Ziploc baggie gently set it into my suitcase and left it in my car in the frigid temperatures ensconced in rice and trapped in plastic. Out to my car I did rush, upon waking the morning after the blizzard raged all day and the street sweepers swept all night carting the icy snow from the slippery streets. I tore open the plastic to grasp at my Nexus 4 swiftly and briskly I blew away all the rice dust and polished the surface gleaming so brightly. The ever so gently I slipped in the sim...and I pressed the power button. and I pressed the power button again but more firmly. Once more I tried my luck, and no response came forward. With heavy heart I resigned myself to the fate of a really expensive quadrangle prism and went up to my office to mourn.

    Once last effort did occur to me, to charge the battery and see if perhaps, it just needed a little outside help to rise from its coma, and I hesitantly inserted the mini-USB charging cable...and got a bright red light...that went out. Many a swear word a silent fervent prayer did I imagine mumbling as I slowly disconnected the charger and reconnected it. this time the little red light flashed at me, for nearly 2 minutes (yes I timed it). and then it went dark. I gave it a minute to think and to ponder the unkindness it would be to remain comatose and die from such a small slip of fate.

    Then I firmly depressed the power button on the side for a moment and saw the most magically hope inspiring vision "Google" in white letters on the black screen, soon followed by the quardricolored rotating Nexus X of Life. No word on damage to speakers yet, still charging it @ 25% right now, but it connects to the network and my other apps just fine right now.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Ortman View Post
    A relative set my phone above the kitchen sink on Christmas Morning and within moments I received a text message, and Ker-Plunk! into the dishwater dove my brand new Nexus 4. I immediately plucked it out of the sink shook as much water out of the battery charging port and the speakers and the sim slot. and buried it in a bowl of rice. Blizzard warnings not withstanding I poured it into a Ziploc baggie gently set it into my suitcase and left it in my car in the frigid temperatures ensconced in rice and trapped in plastic. Out to my car I did rush, upon waking the morning after the blizzard raged all day and the street sweepers swept all night carting the icy snow from the slippery streets. I tore open the plastic to grasp at my Nexus 4 swiftly and briskly I blew away all the rice dust and polished the surface gleaming so brightly. The ever so gently I slipped in the sim...and I pressed the power button. and I pressed the power button again but more firmly. Once more I tried my luck, and no response came forward. With heavy heart I resigned myself to the fate of a really expensive quadrangle prism and went up to my office to mourn.

    Once last effort did occur to me, to charge the battery and see if perhaps, it just needed a little outside help to rise from its coma, and I hesitantly inserted the mini-USB charging cable...and got a bright red light...that went out. Many a swear word a silent fervent prayer did I imagine mumbling as I slowly disconnected the charger and reconnected it. this time the little red light flashed at me, for nearly 2 minutes (yes I timed it). and then it went dark. I gave it a minute to think and to ponder the unkindness it would be to remain comatose and die from such a small slip of fate.

    Then I firmly depressed the power button on the side for a moment and saw the most magically hope inspiring vision "Google" in white letters on the black screen, soon followed by the quardricolored rotating Nexus X of Life. No word on damage to speakers yet, still charging it @ 25% right now, but it connects to the network and my other apps just fine right now.
    That was annoying to read...
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Try getting several of them dessicant bags, the ones in lots of oriental food products and stick em in the bag of rice. Couldn't hurt.

    Sent from my mako ()
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Quote Originally Posted by promanex View Post
    That was annoying to read...
    Dude! I was thinking the same exact thing. My God, a phone fell in the sink. No need to write a novel about it with so many cliche adjectives and verbs. Good lord! I really wanted to see how the phone turned out but hated reading all of that.
    Fdiazreal and Ribs85 like this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Way to drive of the hot chicks dudes. If ya can't bother to read at least look at the pretty avatar. Welcome to the forum Jennifer.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Don't forget to check if the credit card you bought it with offers damage protection as a benefit.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    LOL
  19. #19  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Quote Originally Posted by promanex View Post
    That was annoying to read...
    I kind of liked it.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  20. #20  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I kind of liked it.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    one thing you all need to know is one day in the rice is not enough. You can still short out the phone if it's not dry. You need 3 days minimum. Especially with an enclosed phone. If you turn it on too soon you can kill it. My daughter dropped her blackberry into a swimming pool. Sunk right to the bottom. Put it in a bowl of rice for 3 days and it worked perfectly. Still works after 6 months. I read up on this and the biggest mistake people make is turning the device on too quickly.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Please help! Did the rice thing work for you? I dropped my phone in a puddle of water but not the whole phone only the bottom part touched the water where the usb goes now i can not charge my phone. My screen is fine and i can talk on it but now i cant charge it please let me know.
  22. #22  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Lai View Post
    Please help! Did the rice thing work for you? I dropped my phone in a puddle of water but not the whole phone only the bottom part touched the water where the usb goes now i can not charge my phone. My screen is fine and i can talk on it but now i cant charge it please let me know.
    it worked 100% on my daughters blackberry but we could take the back off. It went all the way to the bottom of a pool. Do it. The rice works really well. Leave it in for 2 days.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  23. #23  

    Talking Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Just had this happen to me:

    Dropped the Nexus 4 into the toilet Bowl. It was playing an mp3 at the time, and that immediately stopped. The phone was still on, after probably being under water for about 1 second. Luckly it was clean water. Well I pretty much cr@apped myself, freaked out, checked websites etc. Only had the N4 about a week.

    After drying, and blowing with compressed air, I checked functionality. Everything worked fine, touch screen, power/volume buttons etc. But the sound was screwed up. Like others who have had problems with the mic (my mic worked fine) it was the only thing wrong.

    But I managed to get it working 100% by looking up some Youtube vids to open the phone. Of course I turned it off, opened the phone with two little screws on the button (need a T5 screwdriver), and then proceeded to dry the inside. I also peeled back one layer of stuff from the inside, about 8 Phillips type screws inside, peel back a layer of plastic and undo all the connectors, apply the compressed air, and then left in front of a fan for about 4 hours. When I reconnected everything, everything including the sound worked!

    So maybe this seems drastic, but if this is not covered by warranty, perhaps it is worth the extra effort over rice (which didn't seem to fix other peoples mic problems).

    I did not try rice....


    So, thats my story...

    Good luck.
    Thanked by:
  24. #24  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin MacFarlane1 View Post
    Just had this happen to me:

    Dropped the Nexus 4 into the toilet Bowl. It was playing an mp3 at the time, and that immediately stopped. The phone was still on, after probably being under water for about 1 second. Luckly it was clean water. Well I pretty much cr@apped myself, freaked out, checked websites etc. Only had the N4 about a week.

    After drying, and blowing with compressed air, I checked functionality. Everything worked fine, touch screen, power/volume buttons etc. But the sound was screwed up. Like others who have had problems with the mic (my mic worked fine) it was the only thing wrong.

    But I managed to get it working 100% by looking up some Youtube vids to open the phone. Of course I turned it off, opened the phone with two little screws on the button (need a T5 screwdriver), and then proceeded to dry the inside. I also peeled back one layer of stuff from the inside, about 8 Phillips type screws inside, peel back a layer of plastic and undo all the connectors, apply the compressed air, and then left in front of a fan for about 4 hours. When I reconnected everything, everything including the sound worked!

    So maybe this seems drastic, but if this is not covered by warranty, perhaps it is worth the extra effort over rice (which didn't seem to fix other peoples mic problems).

    I did not try rice....


    So, thats my story...

    Good luck.
    nice effort but you do still need to be careful when turning things on and off when there could be water in the phone. You could short it out in the freaking out stage of I hope it works. You are better to be 100% sure (which it does sound like you were) that there is nothing that is wet. I would highly recommend using the rice trick if this happens to anyone else.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Water damage help

    Hi there. I was working out and perspiring heavily (I think we all know where this is going). The only place sweat leaked in to was the sim slot. The phone still works fine on, it is just unable to read my straight talk sim card. Is there a chance the sim could be screwed? Is it too late to try the rice trick since the phone was on while the sim was unreadable? Also I've tested turning on and off several times after popping it open and wiping it dry. Please advise.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Water Damage Help!
    By vsample0011 in forum Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-13-2012, 12:53 PM
  2. Water Damage Help
    By bbqrodeo in forum AT&T Nexus S
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-04-2012, 09:26 PM
  3. Water damage help.
    By seamusz in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 09:25 PM
  4. water damaged screen. help!
    By quixoticelixer in forum AT&T ATRIX
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 09:34 PM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 02:12 PM

Posting Permissions

B