| || |
Some Nexus 4 issues and questions
Hi all, I just my Nexus 4 a few days ago. This is my first android phone (switching from iPhone 4) but I already have a Nexus 7 so I'm not totally new to Android.
I've noticed some things and was hoping people could provide feedback.
1. My biggest complaint is something most people would never notice. The phone is terrible at picking up whispering. I often have to whisper while on the phone at night. With my iPhone 4, I could talk in a low whisper from a few inches away and it would pick up clearly. On the Nexus 4, below a certain volume the sound will cut in and out, even with a headset. Also, when whispering there is a very noticeable feedback, where I can hear my own voice by a delay. The only way I have gotten around all this is to use Skype voice calling combined with a headset mic.
2. The built in digital clock widget takes up 2 rows to fully show the date but only visually uses 1 row, so there a big empty space. This only happens on my Nexus 4, not my Nexus 7. Right now I am just uses a widget called Digital Clock Widget to display the date and time. Is there a really good clock widget out there, for only the date and time? It should be fit in the Holo theme. I don't need weather because I use Eye the Sky widget for that.
3. The camera performance is quite disappointing coming from the iPhone 4 (2 years ago, come on!) It is about on par with the iPhone in terms of detail and noise, but the color temperature and hue is terrible. All the pictures come out with a yellow/green tinge, versus the more subtle blue/red tinge of the iPhone. I don't expect a fix for this, and I'll probably have to fix it in post, but just wanted to mention it.
4. Is there a reliable way to import custom alarm and notification tones? Ringtones are fine, they can see all the files on my phone, although some files show up in duplicate/triplicate. I moved files around until I ended putting them under media/audio/alarms and media/audio/notifications. However only some files showed up, so it's not a fix.
5. The battery life is disappointing coming from the iPhone 4 (surprisingly). It drains 1% every 2 min or so when in use, and probably lasts an hour less than the iPhone overall. I guess I am also spoiled by the all day battery life of the Nexus 7. The battery is fine when not in use; I turn off sync at night and it only drains like 5% or so. I don't want to do any crazy micromanagement so I guess I will just have to get used to it.
Overall I still like this phone more than my iPhone, but I wish it had better battery life and camera performance. I do love having free wifi hotspot!