Nexus 4, Google Wallet & T Mobile

LenP

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Update: Google wallet support hasn't gotten back to me yet. However, I deleted and reloaded my data then headed over to Duane Reade, which his a Google brand tap & pay, and it worked fine. A little slow but it worked. Anyone else?

nixie21

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I went to tmobile to get a non isis sim...guy looked at me like I had 2 heads. Anyway he gave me a new macro-sim card, and I have the same issue. Cant get it set up as it says the phone is not ready. Not rooted....

Christian Jacob

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm on T-mobile and my Nexus 4 is NOT rooted purchased from Google Play Store. Instead of swapping for a micro sim, the dude at the T-mobile store just cut my reg sim down. Put 2 CC's on google wallet, had 1 selected, opened the app and unlocked with my pin, and just bought some stuff at Walgreens just now in Chicago and it worked flawlessly. No delay and transaction went through just fine.

nomaxno

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
So I was finally able to get my Nexus 4 Google wallet to work. I use T-mobile pre-paid. I tried for a couple of days to open the google wallet app on my phone only to get error messages. I wasn't able to register the wallet and google wallet devices were not showing up on my account.

To be honest, I am not sure what exactly fixed the problem, but I will walk through what I did. (I have a hunch of what the answer is though, and if it is that, people will shoot themselves for it being so simple)

1) Ok, first thing I did is go to my local t-mobile store and tell them I wanted a sim card without ISIS. I have no idea what ISIS is and nor did anyone at the t-mobile store. The only reason I asked for this is because I saw some blogs mentioned that ISIS sim cards interfered with NFC (and hence Google Wallet). Anyhow, the friendly people in the store had no idea what ISIS was, but they went ahead and gave me a new sim card. After inserting new sim card Google wallet still didn't work. Didn't even work two hours later, though one of the t-mobile employees told me it can take several hours for a new sim card to fully "register" (Not sure what he meant)

2) After doing this second thing, Google wallet immediately worked. The solution is is so simple, I wonder if it is just coincidence, but I suggest other people try it to see it if works. So what I did is go to my computer and after logging on to a google site, went to my online google wallet account. (The same one I used to purchase my Nexus 4 in the first place) While there I was tooling around and realized that my contact information telephone number was not my cell phone number. So on a whim I changed my google wallet contact phone number to my nexus 4 cell phone number. I then disabled the google wallet app on my nexus 4 (from settings/app). Powered my phone down and then up, went to Google Play, searched for google wallet and re-enabled Google Wallet on my phone. Then I opened Google Wallet on my phone and Viola! it worked. My device is now registered!

(By the way, I had tried the whole disable/restart/enable routine prior to changing my number to no avail)

Last edited:

cyang00

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
So I was finally able to get my Nexus 4 Google wallet to work. I use T-mobile pre-paid. I tried for a couple of days to open the google wallet app on my phone only to get error messages. I wasn't able to register the wallet and google wallet devices were not showing up on my account.

To be honest, I am not sure what exactly fixed the problem, but I will walk through what I did. (I have a hunch of what the answer is though, and if it is that, people will shoot themselves for it being so simple)

1) Ok, first thing I did is go to my local t-mobile store and tell them I wanted a sim card without ISIS. I have no idea what ISIS is and nor did anyone at the t-mobile store. The only reason I asked for this is because I saw some blogs mentioned that ISIS sim cards interfered with NFC (and hence Google Wallet). Anyhow, the friendly people in the store had no idea what ISIS was, but they went ahead and gave me a new sim card. After inserting new sim card Google wallet still didn't work. Didn't even work two hours later, though one of the t-mobile employees told me it can take several hours for a new sim card to fully "register" (Not sure what he meant)

2) After doing this second thing, Google wallet immediately worked. The solution is is so simple, I wonder if it is just coincidence, but I suggest other people try it to see it if works. So what I did is go to my computer and after logging on to a google site, went to my online google wallet account. (The same one I used to purchase my Nexus 4 in the first place) While there I was tooling around and realized that my contact information telephone number was not my cell phone number. So on a whim I changed my google wallet contact phone number to my nexus 4 cell phone number. I then disabled the google wallet app on my nexus 4 (from settings/app). Powered my phone down and then up, went to Google Play, searched for google wallet and re-enabled Google Wallet on my phone. Then I opened Google Wallet on my phone and Viola! it worked. My device is now registered!

(By the way, I had tried the whole disable/restart/enable routine prior to changing my number to no avail)

@nomaxno hey your method worked for me. I have my Google account all link up with my Google number and I was trying to get Google wallet to work. I was having trouble with the app force closing and being stuck at the setting up part. After reading this post I went into Google wallet and change my contact phone number from my Google number to my T-Mobile number. Rebooted the phone and tried Google wallet again and it worked on the first try. Please note I did this without WiFi connection and I didn't have to change my Sim Card. So if anyone is having trouble go check your Google Wallet account and make sure your phone number is the correct default number of your cell phone provider. I'm not sure if this will work for everyone else but it did work for me. Thanks nomaxno

mackstrife

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I had a hard time getting fine to work. I ended up calling Google and they told me it is a known issue they are working on that will be resolved in an update. They proceeded to tell me that if I continued trying to setup Google wallet it would eventually work. They were right but it took a lot of trying.

Thomas Hyde

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have used Google Wallet 52 times on T-Mobile since April 28, 2012. My last use was Jan 16, 2013. I have had no problems. All usage on Google Nexus i9250.

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have used Google Wallet 52 times on T-Mobile since April 28, 2012. My last use was Jan 16, 2013. I have had no problems. All usage on Google Nexus i9250.

I have used it flawlessly on my Galaxy Nexus and then my Nexus 4 since August 2012. Only problems have been when the register thing didn't work (confirmed with cashiers, who have told me which ones work with those debit cards that you tap to pay).

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been testing out T-Mobile (while I decide if I want to ditch at&t) and Wallet was flakey for a few days, but since Wednesday has been working flawlessly.

I am unsure if T-Mobile was the culprit or not but whatever changed on Wednesday fixed the issue and I have paid 5 times with my Nexus 4 since Wednesday with no issue.

McDonald's seems to be the best place to use Google Wallet, but the last two attempts failed (but that was before Wednesday). It worked flawlessly with at&t so I am curious if it will work now. I did notice that T-Mobile had poor signal at the MCD in question, so that might also play a roll.

One other DATA point, I was told by the T-Mobile rep (who drooled over my Nexus 4) that it seemed some SIM cards seemed to work better than others. He further explained that full sized SIM cards cut down to micro sized worked better than micro sim cards from the factory (no idea if that is accurate or not)

Dan

KathyJN

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
After two unsuccessful attempts at my local CVS (same register both times), my Wallet finally worked at another register in the same store. The clerk had no idea one way or the other as to whether the PayPass was working when I asked. She had never seen anyone use it before. Needless to say, my using my phone created some excitement. Same for the Hess gas station. Too bad I actually have to go in to use it, rather than paying at the pump. It adds more time, but I do it just for the thrill.

(non-rooted, stock N4, regular micro-SIM rather than a cut-down one)

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been testing out T-Mobile (while I decide if I want to ditch at&t) and Wallet was flakey for a few days, but since Wednesday has been working flawlessly.

I am unsure if T-Mobile was the culprit or not but whatever changed on Wednesday fixed the issue and I have paid 5 times with my Nexus 4 since Wednesday with no issue.

McDonald's seems to be the best place to use Google Wallet, but the last two attempts failed (but that was before Wednesday). It worked flawlessly with at&t so I am curious if it will work now. I did notice that T-Mobile had poor signal at the MCD in question, so that might also play a roll.

One other DATA point, I was told by the T-Mobile rep (who drooled over my Nexus 4) that it seemed some SIM cards seemed to work better than others. He further explained that full sized SIM cards cut down to micro sized worked better than micro sim cards from the factory (no idea if that is accurate or not)

Dan

I have a mini SIM that was cut and my Wallet still doesn't work

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I have no answer (of any useful nature unfortunately), other than to say it is possible to use T-Mobile and Google Wallet.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo