Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why is homescreen roatation turned off?! Nexus 7 can do it

I use my Nexus 4 not only as a phone but as a GPS too. And in the car, I always have it in landscape mode for that. So when I go to the homescreen to choose Pandora or Google Music (or something else) it now forces me to use the device sideways! Why did they turn off homescreen rotation?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Why is homescreen roatation turned off?! Nexus 7 can do it

I'm guessing that since it's a phone, they think it should use a portrait-orientation phone UI. Remember, the Nexus 7 shipped with the same setup, but after plenty of complaints of "Y U no haz tablet UIz?" they added the option in. Perhaps they'll do that here too, but there are more pressing bugs to swat. Besides, how many other phones have home screen rotation?
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

It's pretty typical not to rotate the homescreen on most phones.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Blackberry Bold 9000 > Google Nexus One > Samsung Captivate > iPhone 4 > iPhone4s ... Nexus 4
    TvTechGuru likes this.

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I use my Nexus 4 not only as a phone but as a GPS too. And in the car, I always have it in landscape mode for that. So when I go to the homescreen to choose Pandora or Google Music (or something else) it now forces me to use the device sideways! Why did they turn off homescreen rotation?
    Because you're not supposed to fiddle with your phone's screen while you're driving. But if you must have a way to get around it while you have your navigation on, use the multitasking button to bring up a list of apps running or recently closed (your music app is hopefully on that list). Tap Google Music from there, and go.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    Because you're not supposed to fiddle with your phone's screen while you're driving. But if you must have a way to get around it while you have your navigation on, use the multitasking button to bring up a list of apps running or recently closed (your music app is hopefully on that list). Tap Google Music from there, and go.
    And if I'm parked in a parking lot but it's in the phone cradle you still won't allow me? Your reasoning is faulty and is not a valid reason to lock out landscape on a homescreen.

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts

And if I'm parked in a parking lot but it's in the phone cradle you still won't allow me? Your reasoning is faulty and is not a valid reason to lock out landscape on a homescreen.
    If you are parked in a parking lot, why do you need your GPS/Navigation on? Speaking of faulty reasoning...

The phone is how it is; it isn't a tablet. You can either follow the method I said (use the multitasking button) safely, or root it and put a custom ROM on that does allow it, get a car home app, or a home replacement app that allows it, if you must must must have it. It's not like Google doesn't know that some want the ability to rotate the home screen, and they have never done it for phones. It is how it is.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    If you are parked in a parking lot, why do you need your GPS/Navigation on? Speaking of faulty reasoning...

The phone is how it is; it isn't a tablet. You can either follow the method I said (use the multitasking button) safely, or root it and put a custom ROM on that does allow it, get a car home app, or a home replacement app that allows it, if you must must must have it. It's not like Google doesn't know that some want the ability to rotate the home screen, and they have never done it for phones. It is how it is.
    Because you turn navigation on BEFORE you start driving? Or how about if you're carpooling with someone and the passenger wants to use the device while it's in the cradle?

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts

Because you turn navigation on BEFORE you start driving?
    Then you don't need to fiddle with it once it's on. Leave it alone.
    Or how about if you're carpooling with someone and the passenger wants to use the device while it's in the cradle?
    They can take it out of the cradle. Or use their own phone. Or use it in the cradle, but the inconvenience will matter less for the passenger, since they're not the one driving.

Curious, why is it that you're just arguing with me about the legitimacy of in car use rather than any of the possible solutions I proposed? I thought you started the thread to find a solution to your problem. Am I mistaken?

Download an app called "Ultimate Rotation Control" in the Play Store. It costs but theres a 7 day free trial to check it out and make sure it works. Works just fine on my Nexus 4, although I am using Action Launcher so I don't know for sure the same would apply to the stock launcher
    Manning the AC Euro office since 2011

Wait... What's the problem here? You want the home screen to rotate? You mention nav. You know there is a screen setting you can check called "auto rotate screen" under display settings. The only thing that won't rotate is the home screen, all other apps will. After market launchers will do that for you though.

Or am I missing something here?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    pugnuttt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Devine View Post
    Download an app called "Ultimate Rotation Control" in the Play Store. It costs but theres a 7 day free trial to check it out and make sure it works. Works just fine on my Nexus 4, although I am using Action Launcher so I don't know for sure the same would apply to the stock launcher
    This app will let you rotate any app, including your launcher, into landscape. This is probably your best solution OP.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Thanked by:

I'm sure you know the Nexus 7 is a tablet. I've never had a phone with homescreen rotation by default. The launcher I use, Nova Prime, allows for it though.

Notice how Nexus 4 is a phone and the screen is really small? Yeah. That's why there is no rotation...
    Thanked by:
    yfan 

Frankly, I think a rotating homescreen would be really annoying. But to respond to your issue, and as others have said, a custom launcher like Apex would allow for it. Apex is free from the Play Store, so probably a better option than the paid app that someone else recommended.

Open /system/build.prop for editing (back it up first)
    add this line to the bottom:
    Code:
    launcher.force_enable_rotation=true
    reboot. enjoy.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    Open /system/build.prop for editing (back it up first)
    add this line to the bottom:
    Code:
    launcher.force_enable_rotation=true
    reboot. enjoy.
    Doesn't work anymore :/

Sent from my Nexus 4

I know this topic is a little old, but it's worth responding to.

I'm a little surprised at some of the obnoxious responses here. Because it's a phone and not a tablet? Shouldn't the user determine whether or not they want the home screen to rotate? We're not iPhone users here.

I use to solve this, but it's not a perfect solution. I set it to "auto," and then, no matter what program you're in, it'll let you change the orientation. That's why I say it's not a perfect solution; if I open "Zenonia" while my phone is in portait mode, it'll look weird.

I need this for my home screen because I use Handcent with popup text messages, and I like to type my responses in landscape mode. I came to Nexus 4 from Cyanogenmod, which allows rotation (I think because it uses ADW Launcher, or something like that). I got used to it, so I didn't want to lose it.

This program is also handy for other things. Google Reader doesn't have an option to force in portrait mode, so I use Set Orientation to do it for me. Otherwise, if I put my phone down for a minute, it switches to landscape and I lose my place. I installed it on my Nexus 7, too. Also, Set Orientation is free, which is why I made a point to post it here, because the programs listed already aren't free.
    Thanked by:
    raydlee msc likes this.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

Quote Originally Posted by redherring728 View Post
    I know this topic is a little old, but it's worth responding to.

I'm a little surprised at some of the obnoxious responses here. Because it's a phone and not a tablet? Shouldn't the user determine whether or not they want the home screen to rotate? We're not iPhone users here.
    Yeah, I couldn't believe the replies I was seeing here.

Anyway, OP, the question you should be asking is why are you still using the stock launcher? =P Get something like Nova Launcher (my preference) or Apex Launcher (almost identical) and it allows you to rotate the home screen as well as a lot more other very useful functions and it doesn't stray far from the look of the stock launcher.

Party like a Ninja Star

The easiest answer is that vanilla android doesn't really let you do anything interesting , by design. Android's strength is in letting you install only the customizations you want.

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Just go with CyanogenMod 10.1. It's launcher is stock but allows for home screen rotation.

Other option is a 3rd party launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus.plans View Post
    Yeah, I couldn't believe the replies I was seeing here.

Anyway, OP, the question you should be asking is why are you still using the stock launcher? =P Get something like Nova Launcher (my preference) or Apex Launcher (almost identical) and it allows you to rotate the home screen as well as a lot more other very useful functions and it doesn't stray far from the look of the stock launcher.

I love Nova launcher. And, yeah, you can make it look pretty much exactly like the stock launcher. It has it's own animations and scrolling/animation speeds and whatnot, but it also lets you choose stock settings if you wish.
    Sounds trivial, but my favorite feature of Nova Launcher (and others) is the ability to delete the text under the home screen icons. e.g.., I don't need my Netflix icon to have white "Netflix" text under it when the icon itself says Netflix.
    pugnuttt likes this.

dont think auto-rotating homescreen on a phone is such an automatic good idea. for most people theyre just going to be using in portrait. there are other 3rd party launchers that can let you do it, or as someone mentioned the ultimate rotation control app, if you want to easily accomplish this.

I don't think it's a good idea and really? Obnoxious replies...
    The screen is small enough as it is and then the people that developed the phone have to put a lot more coding because when you are going to put it in landscape mode, they have to change the layout of the entire phone and some of the widgets won't be able to fix because of the lack of space on a phone. The nexus 7 is a tablet... that's why it can rotate because IT ACTUALLY HAS ROOM. If you want the rotation go find an application or root the device... i'm pretty sure a majority of people don't want this anyway, wasted time of coding.

Wait... What's the problem here? You want the home screen to rotate? You mention nav. You know there is a screen setting you can check called "auto rotate screen" under display settings. The only thing that won't rotate is the home screen
    This may be the dumbest post I have ever read.
    Thanked by:

Nova launcher does it in a heartbeat. I'm looking at it right now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast