vu6epa2a.jpg

Galaxy Nexus
uty5ezu6.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Finally got the pictures loaded, ran into an issue with Tapatalk uploading the pictures. Apparently there's a limit and the Xparent Tapatalk app seems to be a few versions behind the regular Tapatalk app and it wouldn't open the Play Store in app purchase for unlimited photo uploads. Had to buy Tapatalk and the Photo Uploads to get this to work. Didn't mind buying the Photo Upload Service but I'm a little bummed I had to buy Tapatalk again and wondering why the Xparent version is not being updated along with the regular version.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
To me the Gnex pics look better

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

I think the gingerbread house is better on the GNex. I took that picture Friday and I'm not 100% positive everything was on auto settings for that picture. I will add some more later on with settings not on auto.

Also my GNex is on Stock Sprint Software as is the Nexus 4.

I got a really cool photosphere photo today of the lake.

60% of the time it works every time!
*Sprint HIGH Speed 3G/LTE Nexus*

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
First two clearly have better clarity on the Nexus 4, third is debatable, and something is going on in the fourth with the color reproduction.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I almost want to say the GNex is winning this one hands down... Nexus 4 seems to have an awful lot of noise in the pictures...

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Everything is wrong with that N4 GB house picture - it's out of focus, overexposed, maybe some camera shake motion blur. Compared to how the first two landscape photos are richer-looking on the N4, something's clearly off.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Here is some new ones just taken. The mural is set to incandescent lighting. One of the gingerbread houses has the flash on. All others are set to full auto. None of the Nexus 4 are in HDR mode.

Nexus 4
3yhe2yte.jpg

Galaxy Nexus
u2ugevyn.jpg

Nexus 4
ahe6aja4.jpg

Galaxy Nexus
ujeradep.jpg

Nexus 4
ybahy7a7.jpg

Galaxy Nexus
a4e6evuz.jpg

Nexus 4
ge8y2eha.jpg

Galaxy Nexus
ata9anad.jpg

Nexus 4
emyhygab.jpg

Galaxy Nexus
dy2e3aby.jpg

*T-Mobile HSPA+42 Nexus 4*

Last edited:

MerkurMan

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the comparison pics!

It's troubling to see how much noise makes it in to the N4's pics, and how badly it handles the white balance and exposure in the flash pictures. The proper, even exposure and dead-on WB impress me with my Gnex, and hopefully I don't lose that ability with the N4 I ordered. Looking more and more like I might have to sell when I finally receive mine, if these blatant camera faults aren't able to be solved with software. :/

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Everything is wrong with that N4 GB house picture - it's out of focus, overexposed, maybe some camera shake motion blur. Compared to how the first two landscape photos are richer-looking on the N4, something's clearly off.

Gotta remember that the Sprint Galaxy Nexus has tweak software, the Nexus 4 is plain vanilla, the market will probably comes up with apps that will optimize the N4 picture taking experience.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
No actually the pics supposed to be better on the N4. His Gnex is on 4.1 the n4 is on 4.2 with better camera tweaks

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Gotta remember that the Sprint Galaxy Nexus has tweak software, the Nexus 4 is plain vanilla, the market will probably comes up with apps that will optimize the N4 picture taking experience.

I used the stock camera app on both phones. I'm not sure I've ever heard of Sprint tweaking the software on the camera. As far as I know it's the same plain Jelly Bean camera app that is on the Verizon or GSM Galaxy Nexus Phones. Sprint is still on 4.1.1 the Nexus 4 is on 4.2.1

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the Gnex supposed to have a reportedly crappy camera? I'm not seeing that here...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, better color quality on the N4. The N4 pics also seem sharper, but that's probably also the reason people are seeing more noise in the N4 shots, so there's a tradeoff there. Something seems very wrong with the white balance on the gingerbread house shot with a flash. Hopefully the noise and white balance issues can be solved with some software tweaks.

PS Thanks for posting these. It's great info for those of us considering getting an N4.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Some comparison pictures Nexus 4 vs. Sprint Galaxy Nex

Isn't the Gnex supposed to have a reportedly crappy camera? I'm not seeing that here...

I've never had too many issues with the GNex camera but there's better ones out there for sure. My friend thinks her S3 camera sucks for example which I proved to her it can take fine pictures (she just came from an iPhone 4).

Phil definitely said the N4 was a better camera in his review (I think every review I read believes it is better) and I can see that it is on some of the shots. I'm positive the camera hardware is better in the N4. I'm going to take some pictures with Vignette and some other apps between the two soon. I just thought it would be fun to post these and I'm trying my best to get the shots as close to the same as I can. One impressive thing is how much faster a panorama shot processes vs the GNex.

For some reason though the gingerbread house is clearly coming out better on the GNex. The light over the table doesn't put out a lot of lumens, maybe red isn't a good color for some reason on the N4 in low light. I don't really know but I took a bunch of them and the color reproduction is pretty spot on the same for all of them.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Why not? Shouldn't you at least try a few comparison shots with HDR mode enabled? Everything I have read states that images shot with HDR enabled are far and away better than with it disabled.

I'll post some HDR shots next go around. You're probably right that I should show a big new feature of the N4 built into the stock camera app.

As to why not it's because the GNex doesn't have HDR mode and I was trying to show the difference between the two with the same settings.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Only 2 shots to add as I'm on my lunch break but here they are.

Nexus 4 stock
age8amub.jpg

Nexus 4 HDR
sehapybu.jpg

Galaxy Nexus
u8e2avu9.jpg

Nexus 4 stock
ynytegu9.jpg

Nexus 4 HDR
aze8uqu9.jpg

Galaxy Nexus
4amu9upy.jpg

*T-Mobile HSPA+42 Nexus 4*

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Got some more done thanks to the beam application. First time using it and it works great. Still don't have cell service on my N4 then the light bulb clicked and said beam the pictures to my GNex.

These pictures are all from my office with fluorescent lighting. 3 different pictures will be posted.

Nexus 4 stock
a3e9yqag.jpg

Galaxy Nexus stock
yra6e8up.jpg

Nexus 4 fluorescent
y7ebasuj.jpg

Galaxy Nexus fluorescent
uru6egyn.jpg

Nexus 4 HDR
da8eqabu.jpg

Nexus 4 Vignette macro focus
qunyhyve.jpg