This takes forever!

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Okay, seriously, I'm concerned by phone doesn't charge correctly. I have killed all the apps. I have juice defender on. I have the phone's screen off. I have it plugged into the USB 3.0 of my macbook pro, that is also plugged into the power cord. AND it's still losing battery. What is going on?! It held a pretty good charge most of the day. I decided to give it a charge around 4pm (26%) so it would have good enough charge to last me the rest of the night with all my playing. But it wouldn't even charge (went from 26% to 31% then back down to 24%). I'm doing homework right now so I'm not even playing with it all that much. Thoughts?

hmm have you tried a charging cable other than the one that came with it? Maybe it's just an issue with that cable.

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
hmm have you tried a charging cable other than the one that came with it? Maybe it's just an issue with that cable.

No, I only have to one. It could be... I doubt it but I'll try my friends charger at school tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
How come you guys don't freak out? 3 hours to 100%? Something is SERIOUSLY wrong. I have NEVER had a phone take over 2 hours.

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
How come you guys don't freak out? 3 hours to 100%? Something is SERIOUSLY wrong. I have NEVER had a phone take over 2 hours.

I SERIOUSLY can't see the extra hour ever being a SERIOUS problem. And I've personally NEVER found the @3hrs to be an issue

Sent from my Nexus 4

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

Yeah my Gnex took about a hour and a half to charge, granted it is a smaller battery, but not that much smaller. In the end this battery lasts way longer than that so to me it's a good tradeoff. I never timed my nexus 4 but I think it charges around the 2 hour mark maybe 2.5

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
1. USB charging maxes out at 500 mA based on the standard, it can't go higher than that when plugged into a computer. I'm not sure what the wall charger for the N4 puts out, but it's probably twice that, most of today's Android phone chargers range anywhere from 800 mA to a full 1 A (or 1000 mA). It's actually possible your computer doesn't even output that much out to USB.

2. Now, that's just what the charger is *quoted* to deliver. You can use a 3rd party app, like battery monitor widget or GSam to see what the actual power consumption of your device is during a charge. Your device's mA won't be at a full amp when charging, but posting those numbers may help diagnose if your device isn't up to par with what others are getting. You may also want to observe how much power your device is drawing when not charging to compare it to. If, for example you're drawing more than 500 mA from your battery at any given time, than that USB charger won't get you back into the positive even if it's working 100% correctly. (This is why a lot of older car chargers, which also are often rated at 500 mA, can't charge a device when navigation is running). I've definitely had a few after-market wall chargers that fall way short of their advertised power output as well.

3. Try different chargers, cables, power outlets. It's impossible to rule out the charger or cable itself until you do so.

Ultimately, even if your charger is OK and the phone and battery hardware is fine, the kernel installed with your OS can also affect charging times as well...which is why it's important to get feedback from folks here (that are running the same OS or ROM) on what "normal" is.

For the record, even without knowing any other info, I agree that 3 hours to charge off a wall charger is a bit much. Like Pizzadude, my S3 takes about an hour, give or take.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The post above mine is dead on.

I pick on the N4 constantly but this isn't one of them. 3 hours is acceptable. If not, check to see if there is a fast charge kernel but do so at your own risk. Like over clocking, there is some wiggle room, but if you go beyond that or do it too much, you are asking for a hardware fail.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
1. USB charging maxes out at 500 mA based on the standard, it can't go higher than that when plugged into a computer. I'm not sure what the wall charger for the N4 puts out, but it's probably twice that, most of today's Android phone chargers range anywhere from 800 mA to a full 1 A (or 1000 mA). It's actually possible your computer doesn't even output that much out to USB.

2. Now, that's just what the charger is *rated* to deliver. You can use a 3rd party app, like battery monitor widget or GSam to see what the actual power consumption of your device is during a charge. Your device's mA won't be at a full amp when charging, but posting those numbers may help diagnose if your device isn't up to par with what others are getting. You may also want to observe how much power your device is drawing when not charging to compare it to. If, for example you're drawing more than 500 mA from your battery at any given time, than that USB charger won't get you back into the positive even if it's working 100% correctly. (This is why a lot of older car chargers, which also are often rated at 500 mA, can't charge a device when navigation is running).

3. Try different chargers, cables, power outlets. It's impossible to rule out the charger or cable itself until you do so.

Ultimately, even if your charger is OK and the phone and battery hardware is fine, the kernel installed with your OS can also affect charging times as well...which is why it's important to get feedback from folks here (that are running the same OS or ROM) on what "normal" is.

This was an incredible post. Thank you! I will try to download those monitoring apps and keep you guys updated. I'll be charging my phone later on my friends charger but my battery life has been too good today, it won't die.

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

2. Now, that's just what the charger is *quoted* to deliver. You can use a 3rd party app, like battery monitor widget or GSam to see what the actual power consumption of your device is during a charge. Your device's mA won't be at a full amp when charging, but posting those numbers may help diagnose if your device isn't up to par with what others are getting. You may also want to observe how much power your device is drawing when not charging to compare it to. If, for example you're drawing more than 500 mA from your battery at any given time, than that USB charger won't get you back into the positive even if it's working 100% correctly. (This is why a lot of older car chargers, which also are often rated at 500 mA, can't charge a device when navigation is running). I've definitely had a few after-market wall chargers that fall way short of their advertised power output as well.

For the record, even without knowing any other info, I agree that 3 hours to charge off a wall charger is a bit much. Like Pizzadude, my S3 takes about an hour, give or take.

After just a half a day of monitoring my battery with battery monitor widget I've noticed some trends that are interesting. On average it seems as though the Nexus 4 consumes -500 mA, meaning that a laptop, that has an output if 500 mA is capable of keep it steadyI've also noticed that the my wall charger that came with the device doesn't seem to be capable of producing very many mA either. As I'm typing this message my phone is currently draining because the output is so low. I use my friends charger at school today, I was getting on average a positive 500 mA. Her charger seems to have a stronger output than the one I got. With her charger I was seeing the 3 hour charge times.

Steve_S_T

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
My N4 charges pretty slowly in the car charger for some reason, to the extent that it barely gains charge if I'm listening to a podcast or using Maps whilst driving. However, when I charge it using a 240v supply the fast charging time still catches me out (I try not to always fully charge it) and I'm definitely in the camp that believes this to be the fastest charging phone I've ever had.

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So it started understand what's going on here. A laptop and car charger output 500 mA while a wall charger, if it's a good one, outputs 1000 mA. With the Nexus 4 being such a powerful device it consumes 500 MA, so a laptop and car charger does not appear to be powerful enough to give it a good charge. I read another thread last night that some of the LG chargers that came with the device or defective. I noticed the same thing, so I switched out the charger with an iPhone adapter and was getting much better charge times. 3 hours seems to be the average charge times of the N4.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
My N4 charges pretty slowly in the car charger for some reason, to the extent that it barely gains charge if I'm listening to a podcast or using Maps whilst driving. However, when I charge it using a 240v supply the fast charging time still catches me out (I try not to always fully charge it) and I'm definitely in the camp that believes this to be the fastest charging phone I've ever had.

So it started understand what's going on here. A laptop and car charger output 500 mA while a wall charger, if it's a good one, outputs 1000 mA. With the Nexus 4 being such a powerful device it consumes 500 MA, so a laptop and car charger does not appear to be powerful enough to give it a good charge. I read another thread last night that some of the LG chargers that came with the device or defective. I noticed the same thing, so I switched out the charger with an iPhone adapter and was getting much better charge times. 3 hours seems to be the average charge times of the N4.

Regarding car chargers, most of the older ones have an output of 500mA, however there are quite a few out there now with more power output (example). If you're running maps or streaming music or etc, there's a good chance your device is drawing more than 500mA, which is why the car charger does nothing more than slow the drain of the battery rather than charge it. Just keep in mind that running a higher-powered car charger does draw more juice off of your car's alternator/battery.

To the OP, it does definitely sound like (1) you got a faulty charger with your device and (2) 3 hours seems somewhat normal to fully charge this device.

Frankly, I feel that running at -500 mA is kinda high (Not crazy high, but my S3 tends to flucuate between -100 to -200 when idle), but I've never owned an N4, so I can't comment on whether that's normal. Various apps and settings you have running and such can play a huge role in that to. If that's the case, you're definitely not gonna get a charge out of computer USB connection...but that's really not anything new in the Android world. It's also logical that the more power your device consumes when idle, the longer it will take to charge.

If you ask me, it sounds like what you need is a replacement wall charger.

jwcivic

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been having the same problem as OP. Overnight my phone sometimes can't get fully charged. When I use my samsung s2 wall adapter its fine. The N4 plug also makes a buzzing sound when plugged into the wall socket. Anyone have any experience on getting this warrantied?

BTW, this wall plug iis the cheapest POS I've held in my hands in a long time. Does not belong tethered to the N4.

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the same problem as OP. Overnight my phone sometimes can't get fully charged. When I use my samsung s2 wall adapter its fine. The N4 plug also makes a buzzing sound when plugged into the wall socket. Anyone have any experience on getting this warrantied?

BTW, this wall plug iis the cheapest POS I've held in my hands in a long time. Does not belong tethered to the N4.

They had to cut corners somewhere to get us this beautiful piece of hardware for so cheap.

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
With my S3 I go from 1% to 100% in right about 2hrs, maybe 2.5hrs if Im checking out the forums a little while im charging. Trying to help those that want to compare :thumbup:

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about you guys but 3 hours is pretty good for 100%, maybe i'm just using terrible batteries and i've gotten used to it but I honestly don't see a problem. I'll just believe you guys and think it's a problem ^ ^
Haven't read many of the posts (there's a lot) but have you tried another charger and outlet?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995