Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Default This takes forever!

Has anyone else been experiencing really slow charging times? I understand this device is extremely powerful but when I had it plugged into my computer it seems to not charge it all and when I was using it it wouldn't even be able to charge it enough to prevent it from draining. Even when it's plugged into the wall it's still feels like it charges extremely slow it seems like it's only 30 percent every 2 hours.

Anyone else?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Blackberry Bold 9000 > Google Nexus One > Samsung Captivate > iPhone 4 > iPhone4s ... Nexus 4

Default Re: This takes forever!

Your computer may not be capable of charging the phone depending on the usb port

Quote Originally Posted by Exergy View Post
    Has anyone else been experiencing really slow charging times? I understand this device is extremely powerful but when I had it plugged into my computer it seems to not charge it all and when I was using it it wouldn't even be able to charge it enough to prevent it from draining. Even when it's plugged into the wall it's still feels like it charges extremely slow it seems like it's only 30 percent every 2 hours.

Anyone else?

Are you using the adaptor that came with the phone, or a different one?

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Well USb is a slower charge than the wall but that sounds really slow. Does the battery drain correctly? Is the screen on when you are charging?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    Are you using the adaptor that came with the phone, or a different one?

Sent from my Nexus 4
    The one that came with the phone.

Blackberry Bold 9000 > Google Nexus One > Samsung Captivate > iPhone 4 > iPhone4s ... Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by foolishfocus View Post
    Your computer may not be capable of charging the phone depending on the usb port

That's usually the case. I think this phone is one of the fastest charging phones I've owned. That's of course through the wall adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by smartphonedude View Post
    That's usually the case. I think this phone is one of the fastest charging phones I've owned. That's of course through the wall adapter.
    I agree with this

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Maybe I'm just spoiled coming from an iPhone. I could just be looking at this gorgeous piece of hardware more often so I'm more conscious of it. It would be interesting to see a test of charge times though.

Mine charges hella quick! Never actually timed it when plugged into the wall, but today it went from 19 to 100 in under 3 hours. That was charging it with one of those battery things

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Yeah with my s3 I can go from zero to 100 in about three hours which seems about right for the various phones I have had and deal with.

Can't tell you iPhone times because I only get to touch that one when I have to fix it.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emcdannell View Post
    Mine charges hella quick! Never actually timed it when plugged into the wall, but today it went from 19 to 100 in under 3 hours. That was charging it with one of those battery things

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Really? Thinking back to today I went from 30 percent to mid 60s in just under 3 hours. I hope nothing is wrong...

I've wall charged mine only (except for when I unlocked the bootloader) and it goes really fast. 30-100 percent in like 2-3 hours.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

no USB is capable of charging as fast as the wall charger. The standard keeps the voltage down

Try a different wall socket with some of mine its a bit dicky with all usages.
    For the pc, I know if my pc is under x battery it cuts the usb ports off or restricts charging to save battery life.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

USB charging is usually much slower than wall due to less mA. However when you have screen on or wireless tethering on, this is going to drastically reduce charging speed.
    On my Galaxy S2 wifi tethering and screen off charging from USB, it maintains battery power but does not increase. When I plug it into the wall while wifi tethering then it will very slowly start to charge. A base comparison would be to restart the device and plug into a 5V/900mA wall charger.

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.2.1; CM7.2(nook)

I haven't noticed this but then again I charge it at night while I'm sleeping. In my experience charging from the wall has always been faster than charging from my laptop USB.

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Okay, seriously, I'm concerned by phone doesn't charge correctly. I have killed all the apps. I have juice defender on. I have the phone's screen off. I have it plugged into the USB 3.0 of my macbook pro, that is also plugged into the power cord. AND it's still losing battery. What is going on?! It held a pretty good charge most of the day. I decided to give it a charge around 4pm (26%) so it would have good enough charge to last me the rest of the night with all my playing. But it wouldn't even charge (went from 26% to 31% then back down to 24%). I'm doing homework right now so I'm not even playing with it all that much. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Yeah with my s3 I can go from zero to 100 in about three hours which seems about right for the various phones I have had and deal with.

Can't tell you iPhone times because I only get to touch that one when I have to fix it.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Thats a LONG *** time! 3 hours! My note 1 battery is done in an hour to hour and a half tops from about 25%.

My Nexus 4 goes from 5% to 100% in about 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by WeNeedCupCakes View Post
    My Nexus 4 goes from 5% to 100% in about 3 hours.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Exergy View Post
    Okay, seriously, I'm concerned by phone doesn't charge correctly. I have killed all the apps. I have juice defender on. I have the phone's screen off. I have it plugged into the USB 3.0 of my macbook pro, that is also plugged into the power cord. AND it's still losing battery. What is going on?! It held a pretty good charge most of the day. I decided to give it a charge around 4pm (26%) so it would have good enough charge to last me the rest of the night with all my playing. But it wouldn't even charge (went from 26% to 31% then back down to 24%). I'm doing homework right now so I'm not even playing with it all that much. Thoughts?
    hmm have you tried a charging cable other than the one that came with it? Maybe it's just an issue with that cable.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emcdannell View Post
    hmm have you tried a charging cable other than the one that came with it? Maybe it's just an issue with that cable.
    No, I only have to one. It could be... I doubt it but I'll try my friends charger at school tomorrow.

How come you guys don't freak out? 3 hours to 100%? Something is SERIOUSLY wrong. I have NEVER had a phone take over 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    How come you guys don't freak out? 3 hours to 100%? Something is SERIOUSLY wrong. I have NEVER had a phone take over 2 hours.
    I SERIOUSLY can't see the extra hour ever being a SERIOUS problem. And I've personally NEVER found the @3hrs to be an issue

Sent from my Nexus 4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast