Phone locked up on Incoming call

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I just received a call and while the phone was ringing, the touchscreen was completely unresponsive and I missed the call. After the phone stopped ringing the screen was responsive again and I was able to return the call.

This is the first time it happened, so not too worried. Curious to know if anyone else has seen this issue?

On a side note, the last app I used was the camera so I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Any chance your thumb (or other object) was blocking the proximity sensor at the top left corner of the screen?

It's just a thought; not sure what impact this might have.

68laurieann

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I experienced the same thing when bringing home a brand new Razr Maxx HD from the Verizon store last weekend. This occurred right off with the first phone call received and each call afterwards. I did NOT have a screen protector on either. I returned the phone the next day.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just had my phone freak out during a call. I'd been talking for perhaps 20 minutes (home, connected to wifi) when I hear a loud chime of an incoming email notification. I was at my computer and refreshing the browser with Gmail and there was nothing new. I asked my g/f a question and didn't get an answer. I ask again, say "HELLO?", and then pull the phone away and it's on the lock screen, not appearing to be in a call. I pressed the power button and the screen went dark. Pressed again and it lit up, but it didn't respond to touches. Then it blanked out, gave the bump it does when first booting and restarted. The call log for that call doesn't show since it crashed. Very weird. Glad I've got a replacement already on order; just wish it'd get here.

parking_god

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I have similar but not identical behavior that occurs on every call I make or receive. I can answer a call fine, but from the time I answer until the time the caller hangs up, my screen is dark and unresponsive. When I initiate the call, my screen goes dark and unresponsive -- and doesn't come back when the recipient hangs up (nor does the call terminate)! I have to hold down the power button for a few seconds afterwards. Sometimes the phone returns to the lock screen, sometimes it reboots. I have a case (gel case that doesn't look like it interferes with the proximity sensors) and a matte screen protector, and it happens whether the case is on or off (haven't tried removing the screen protector).

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have similar but not identical behavior that occurs on every call I make or receive. I can answer a call fine, but from the time I answer until the time the caller hangs up, my screen is dark and unresponsive. When I initiate the call, my screen goes dark and unresponsive -- and doesn't come back when the recipient hangs up (nor does the call terminate)! I have to hold down the power button for a few seconds afterwards. Sometimes the phone returns to the lock screen, sometimes it reboots. I have a case (gel case that doesn't look like it interferes with the proximity sensors) and a matte screen protector, and it happens whether the case is on or off (haven't tried removing the screen protector).

Do you have a screen protector or perhaps a thumb which is covering the proximity sensor? It's the two small dots at the top left corner of the screen; it's job is to blank the display when you hold the phone to your ear.

superblast

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I just received a call and while the phone was ringing, the touchscreen was completely unresponsive and I missed the call. After the phone stopped ringing the screen was responsive again and I was able to return the call.

I had this happen on my Nexus S a few times and was able to get it to respond by hitting the power button twice to turn the screen off and back on again. Then, I could swipe to answer the call. Not sure what caused this though.

parking_god

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector or perhaps a thumb which is covering the proximity sensor? It's the two small dots at the top left corner of the screen; it's job is to blank the display when you hold the phone to your ear.

Yep, that was it. Trimmed away the part that covers the sensor and it works fine now. Incidentally, I used the Proximity Sensor Finder app to check the status. Since it read 0.0cm at all times, that was the giveaway.

scolari9

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: LG MOTION 4G Phone locks up on Incoming call

I sometimes have a problem with hanging up. If they don't hangup my screen just stays locked, don't really know why this would happen.