Im unhappy but not sure if i should be

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same pickle as you. My Nexus has a ton of issues right now. But if return it, I don't know if I want a replacement, knowing it may have the same exact problems. I need my phone. I use it on a daily basis, and not just for multimedia. With calendar, docs, etc... It helps me be organized with my life, classes, work, etc...

I just don't think this phone can fill that role if it just continually has problems.

I believe if you are getting it RMA'd they send you a new one and you send yours back. They hold it on your credit card until it's returned.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Ichi_Bear

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. I'm not a big fan of TouchWiz but I downloaded the Nova Prime launcher. I have not had any problems. I do have the International (UK unbranded) version. I probably would have gotten the Nexus 4 but I like having the option of having a Micro SD card slot. I'm also not a fan of fixed batteries. As far as OS updates go, it's not difficult even if you root. It depends on which root method you use. You can easily find ones that are close to stock and won't effect OTA updates. I went with a method that uses a stock secured kernel. It's not much hassle.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I believe if you are getting it RMA'd they send you a new one and you send yours back. They hold it on your credit card until it's returned.

Actually, I talked to customer service yesterday. Since my device has faults, he said they will most likely be able to waive the restocking fee if it had legitimate problems (and it has shown to have some), if I wanted to return it. I'm sure that's only because I'm still in the 15 day window though.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I talked to customer service yesterday. Since my device has faults, he said they will most likely be able to waive the restocking fee if it had legitimate problems (and it has shown to have some), if I wanted to return it. I'm sure that's only because I'm still in the 15 day window though.

Good to hear. I think if it's a defective device you have the full year. But I may be wrong. It doesn't make sense punishing your customer if they get a faulty product.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I think you have every right to be unhappy, and I'm glad reading the thread you've decided to give Google and LG the chance to see if they can make you happy again.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar buzzing with my Samsung Galaxy S phone. It was definitely a shielding issue for me. At times the statics would be so bad I couldn't charge the phone and listen to it via the aux.

I've noticed most of Samsungs later phone have gone with putting the audio back and charger on opposite ends.

I debated getting the note vs. The nexus i ended going with the note and love it.

I've of androids greatest boons is if you don't like the skin you can always use your favorite. I too hate touch wiz and use ADW.Launcher. To date thus is my favorite launcher, I even prefer it over the stock android.

=X=

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My SGS2 buzzes like crazy if I use my car charger and plug in the Aux adapter for music. I can't even listen to it that way. I always thought it was the charger, but maybe not.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm also experiencing the Buzz/Static in the earpiece. I thought I was hearing GSM Buzz if it was connecting using EDGE but now i'm not so sure as ti seems to do it over WCDMA.

MY GS2's earpiece would buzz if it ever dropped to EDGE. Also, the Headphone jack on my GS2 would make a loud hissing noise if it was charging with no audio, once audio started the hissing would stop.

Funny thing is that you can hear an Example of GSM buzz if you listen to Spagnola Orchestration in you ringtones. LOL

Last edited:

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both have an 8GB N4 and both have the slight rattle when they are shaken a certain way. Neither of us have the strange noises from the earpiece though. I don't think that is normal...

NordicNinja

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4 and the Galaxy Nexus before that, never experienced this so called buzzing issue with either. Without question I would be requesting a replacement. Please OP let us know if you get a replacement and if your issue was solved.

I do have the rattling issue near the camera lens and my bezel creeks a fair bit at the bottom of the device but I don't consider those to by RMA issues. The ear piece buzzing however directly impacts your use of the phone, arguably the primary use at that. If I was told that the lens rattle and bezel creek are grounds for replacement, I might consider it... Mostly to ensure that I get full life out of the device and the autofocus doesn't stop working a year from now or something like that.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
i can't help but to wonder if more people have the earpiece buzzing but aren't aware of it. especially if they don't use these types of forums and are completely oblivious that the buzzing is an "issue". i didn't notice mine till the 4th day. I was in a parking lot in my car (extremely quiet location) and then i finally noticed it. If i were to listen for it in front of my laptop (makes noise because of the cooling fan) or any other location with a moderate level of noise, i would have a hard time picking it up. and if people use a low call volume during calls, they probably won't notice it either. and they could easily mistake the noise that they hear when using a higher call volume for just a "bad connection", unless they consistently make calls with high volume levels. im not talking about the severe buzzing that some people had, i'm talking about buzzing similar to mine and the OP's.

Last edited:

techlover757

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
i can't help but to wonder if more people have the earpiece buzzing but aren't aware of it. especially if they don't use these types of forums and are completely oblivious that the buzzing is an "issue". i didn't notice mine till the 4th day. I was in a parking lot in my car (extremely quiet location) and then i finally noticed it. If i were to listen for it in front of my laptop (makes noise because of the cooling fan) or any other location with a moderate level of noise, i would have a hard time picking it up. and if people use a low call volume during calls, they probably won't notice it either. and they could easily mistake the noise that they hear when using a higher call volume for just a "bad connection", unless they consistently make calls with high volume levels. im not talking about the severe buzzing that some people had, i'm talking about buzzing similar to mine and the OP's.

i wondered the same thing. but then my girlfriend she could hear it when were talking last night. i still love this phone like crazy. it just has that fault. and it doesn't workout. i guess i should learn the whole routing Kernal ROM process it just seems a little difficult but I'm an IT should be able to handle it. If this doesn't work out I will see about getting a galaxy phone and just putting nova launcher on it.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
so i called to get a replacement. i have a year warranty so it cant hurt. worst comes to worst i buy something else. i love my phone and dont want anything else. I hate touchwiz so no galaxy phones even though they are great...im just picky like that and i dont wanna return to apple again.

I understand they're gonna be software quirks since im a beta tester but i fear im having hardware issues.

Sorry to go back to the first page, but have you tried a Touchwiz phone on ICS or JB, such as on the S3 or Note 2? I used to feel the exact same way, but I also think Samsung's latest version of TW is actually quite nice. Doesn't "overwhelm" the natural Android experience as so many OEM launchers tend to do -- and prior to ICS I felt Touchwiz was one of the worst offenders. I even slapped Nova launcher on my S3 to add a more an pure-Android feel (as well as the extra customization and ability to backup/restore configs), and it runs smooth as butter -- which really surprised me because in the past any 3rd party launcher I've tried usually cause way too much lag for me to continue using it.

Not saying you should ditch your N4 for a Samsung...just saying if you haven't tried out Touchwiz on a newer device you may not hate it as much as you think. (Or maybe you do...that's cool too).

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I both have an 8GB N4 and both have the slight rattle when they are shaken a certain way. Neither of us have the strange noises from the earpiece though. I don't think that is normal...

It's not normal but many people have reported problems of that, I don't know why. It's not supposed to happen and he can request a replacement phone

- - - Updated - - -

It's not normal but many people have reported problems of that, I don't know why. It's not supposed to happen and he can request a replacement phone

techlover757

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to go back to the first page, but have you tried a Touchwiz phone on ICS or JB, such as on the S3 or Note 2? I used to feel the exact same way, but I also think Samsung's latest version of TW is actually quite nice. Doesn't "overwhelm" the natural Android experience as so many OEM launchers tend to do -- and prior to ICS I felt Touchwiz was one of the worst offenders. I even slapped Nova launcher on my S3 to add a more an pure-Android feel (as well as the extra customization and ability to backup/restore configs), and it runs smooth as butter -- which really surprised me because in the past any 3rd party launcher I've tried usually cause way too much lag for me to continue using it.

Not saying you should ditch your N4 for a Samsung...just saying if you haven't tried out Touchwiz on a newer device you may not hate it as much as you think. (Or maybe you do...that's cool too).

im glad you wrote that. i think after i get my replacement and im still unhappy i will get a galaxy something. I like the specs on the note 2 and it feels like a mini nexus 7 in my hands. but so far i love my nexus 4 and due to the comments here i learned to appreciate any android phone regardless of the launcher

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It was a front page story here on AC.

Earpiece buzz not unique to the Nexus 4, but it's there [buzz] | Android Central

Considering I have had several other phones and I have never heard it I have my doubts. My infraction points show though I cannot talk anything negative in here.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

read it. so even the gs3, iphone 4s, and optimus g has it. well damn. he didn't even say how many are affected and said his didn't have it. so idk where you got the 'most' from

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have never heard it on either SGS I had, ip4, charge, either fascinate, gnex, thunderbolt, stratosphere, or rezound. But it must be there.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

it doesnt say all are affected. it just says it has been reported. the quantity of each device affected, including the n4 remains unknown to me

Ichi_Bear

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
It seems to me that there are quality control issues with the Nexus 4. I'd like to know if this issue is more prevalent in the International version of the S3 or the ones made for the US market and the LTE versions. :cool:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2