HELP with Nexus 4 text message alert settings

nexus4user1911

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
My old cellphone used to alert me of text messages by making a sound. It will consistently and persistently alert me with the sound in 2-5 min intervals until I check my text message.

I am having trouble finding this option in the Google Nexus 4. When I receive a text, it will only beep once. An icon will show up at the top left hand corner. Thats all the notification I get. I will not hear any further sounds from the phone regarding any text message.

I checked the settings page and I couldn't find any option for changing this.

Does anyone know how to deal with this issue? :-\

Last edited:

nexus4user1911

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Update:
I called Google's technical support hotline, and promptly got connected. The customer support personnel was very helpful. He went onto a similar phone and press the buttons to get the settings screen, but also failed to find that option. This means to me that the phone is not currently capable of reminding you of incoming text message using a beep or sound. The support person recommended that I find an app for this somewhere on Google play.

There you have it. No current setting for intermitten reminder for txt messaging. New users beware.

PS: A flip phone I had back at 2003 had this option

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
A flip phone will have about two notification. Missed Calls and SMS(MMS). That's it!!! but that's not the case with a smart phone. it can have 100's of notification.
beeping for every notification will sometime be annoying. that's why Nexus 4 have LED notification. until you unlock the phone and view notification the LED will blink.

marty331

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I use an app called SMSPopup, it's free and will give you this option.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Handcent will allow you to set up missed text notifications, I have it set to remind me every two minutes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2