Any Galaxy SIII users get a Nexus 4? What are your impressions?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
omg... read my post on previous page

I told you it was the latter. Hilarious that he claimed my post had 'so much wrong' when he is one that's clueless.

so i just found out that the SGS3's screen is PenTile....

Yep, the blur of text was noticeable on the S3 regardless of what the S3 apologists want to claim. The N4 is sharper for text and video in my eyes.

AMOLED screens don't hold up as well as they used to. Since the One X's LCD2 display, there is a new king in the realm of displays, and Samsung better get their act together if they want the crown.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I love reading these posts about phone A vs B phones because it's a battle between personal prefrences. Yet the individuals still plead there case for either phone as there choice is absolute forgetting or ignoring the small little detail "to each his own".

These people go on forever battling in circles that starts out point vs point then jab for jab until debate because complete nonsense.(FYI this why I love reading these posts.)

In end there always victory in war that has no winners or losers called a war of OPINION.

Let the pointless battle rage on...

All what I have said in just MY PERSONALLY OPINION not bases on fact or logical reasoning just OPINION.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I love reading these posts about phone A vs B phones because it's a battle between personal prefrences. Yet the individuals still plead there case for either phone as there choice is absolute forgetting or ignoring the small little detail "to each his own".

These people go on forever battling in circles that starts out point vs point then jab for jab until debate because complete nonsense.(FYI this why I love reading these posts.)

In end there always victory in war that has no winners or losers called a war of OPINION.

Let the pointless battle rage on...

All what I have said in just MY PERSONALLY OPINION not bases on fact or logical reasoning just OPINION.

I will say that it's actually useful for those of us trying to decide between the two phones in question. In a couple months, I will be getting either the N4 or the GS3. I already know where i'm leaning, but this discussion is helpful to me.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting an N4 and running it alongside the GS3 because the GS3 is more advanced. Samsung did a great job with the extra features and Android should truly catch up.

Voice control is very convenient, especially on the music player when I'm in the shower and the one song I don't feel like hearing comes on lol I just simply say NEXT and it goes to the next song.

I'd miss the screen shot ability of just swiping, among other things.

Plus can't change the battery or add storage so that automatically eliminates the n4 for regular single phone usage.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I will say that it's actually useful for those of us trying to decide between the two phones in question. In a couple months, I will be getting either the N4 or the GS3. I already know where i'm leaning, but this discussion is helpful to me.
My statement was on the individuals battling over opinion not the perception of the audience.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any Galaxy S3 users get a Nexus 4? What are your impressions?

Samsung better get their act together if they want the crown.

Samsung has sold well over 30 million Galaxy SIII's, and HTC is in financial trouble. So please remind me, who needs to do the catching up again?

And to be quite honest, outside of the meticulously crafted design of the Nexus 4. I haven't been as blown away by it as I have been with the S3. I really wanted to be blown away here, and so far I have not been. Maybe it's because I'm not coming from an older model phone like a lot of people here, or maybe because I actually miss some of the features of my S3. Regardless I will still continue to give this phone a fair chance.

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site

So I don't know why Samsung did this, but the US version has a dual core processor and 2gb of RAM, and the UK version has a quadcore with 1GB RAM.

Better CPU, Better GPU, higher PPI on screen (306 vs 320 i think?), and pure vanilla experience out weighs everything else.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

So I don't know why Samsung did this, but the US version has a dual core processor and 2gb of RAM, and the UK version has a quadcore with 1GB RAM.

Better CPU, Better GPU, higher PPI on screen (306 vs 320 i think?), and pure vanilla experience out weighs everything else.

It even beats the underwhelming camera, focus issues, ear piece noise issue, under saturated screen colors, on screen button taking screen real estate and get accidentally hit? I have also ordered one so don't get me wrong. I am also in Nexus 4 ship but you can not compare S3 with Nexus 4. Don't talk about NA version of S3 which is ed version of S3. My friend has the Canadian version and the performance is way worse than International version of S3. I went from international s3 to note 2 and iPhone 5 (sold within a week and kept note 2). So note 2 is my current device and i am now going to Nexus 4 without selling my Note 2 because I know there is lot of stuff that I do which is specific to Note 2 and i am going to miss it. I want to see how badly I miss it and then I would see which one to keep and which one to sell. I did same when I bought iPhone 5 i.e. I kept the note 2 with me and see which suits me more and Note 2 won in just couple of days. I am going to do the same thing with Nexus 4 and Note 2. The only reason I am buying Nexus is because it has a better GPU otherwise Note 2 suit my needs much better. I don't know what people hate about touch wiz but I personally do not like it but I do not hate it as well. Touch wiz is no longer the skin anymore rather it has more deeper integration and many features I use very often. Before S3 I used to have Galaxy Nexus and switching to S3 was very pleasant experience than Galaxy Nexus which I kept only for 2 weeks. It was ok phone who can do lot of stuff but it was not good at any single thing. I do not like on screen buttons which I think make sense on tablets because you use them both in landscape and portrait but it does not make sense on phones as most people use their mobile phone in portrait except when taking picture or watching a movie.

I like the design of Nexus 4 and this is the second reason I am buying it. I hope that I do not have to make so many compromises and if this is the case then I would sell my note 2 right away.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site

I don't own a Nexus 4 yet. My first Android experience has been my current phone, the Atrix 4G. After owning it for a 18 months now, I honestly don't know how ANYONE who's interested in really playing with Android can trust buying anything but a Nexus. Being at the whim of carrier firmware tweaks and OEM updates has been an absolute nightmare for me. The worst part is, you just have to trust that your OEM and carrier won't screw up your phone during your ownership period at the time of purchase. If they decide to screw you over (Hello, moto), there's nothing you can do about it. So, to me, the software experience on a Nexus outweighs EVERYTHING any other Android device can offer. I have an S3 in my household and I really do think it's a great phone. So far Samsung has done a great job with updates (we have the Sprint S3 so we didn't have to deal with the kies debacle...). But I will never buy an Android outside the Nexus line again until I see a long trend that looks different than the current one.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I had no problem selling my s3 for the Nexus 4 and here's why. I easily sold it $500 and which is awesome cause I can by accessories for my n4 at no extra cost. (still waiting on the charger Google) I liked the samoled on the s3 but the n4s IPS screen is better IMO.build, let just day the build quality is bar non the best in the android market period no ifs ands or buts. Lastly I knew what I was going to get from pure AOSP. Very well put together OS without any skins causing it to lag or make the experience annoying. AOSP from here on out as JB is finally the grown and matured android experience a lot of us have been wanting. Of course can I say updates!!

Obviously if you have a s3 you know how nice of a device it is. One thing I do miss are some widgets and some of the things they did like how when your in contacts you can just slide left or right to call/text immediately. Another would be as your in the messaging app all you would have to do is put the phone to your ear and it would make the call to who you were messaging.
Other than those small implementations that Sammy did the N4 is just a better by.

- - - Updated - - -

I had no problem selling my s3 for the Nexus 4 and here's why. I easily sold it $500 and which is awesome cause I can by accessories for my n4 at no extra cost. (still waiting on the charger Google) I liked the samoled on the s3 but the n4s IPS screen is better IMO.build, let just day the build quality is bar non the best in the android market period no ifs ands or buts. Lastly I knew what I was going to get from pure AOSP. Very well put together OS without any skins causing it to lag or make the experience annoying. AOSP from here on out as JB is finally the grown and matured android experience a lot of us have been wanting. Of course can I say updates!!

Obviously if you have a s3 you know how nice of a device it is. One thing I do miss are some widgets and some of the things they did like how when your in contacts you can just slide left or right to call/text immediately. Another would be as your in the messaging app all you would have to do is put the phone to your ear and it would make the call to who you were messaging.
Other than those small implementations that Sammy did the N4 is just a better by.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

I don't own a Nexus 4 yet. My first Android experience has been my current phone, the Atrix 4G. After owning it for a 18 months now, I honestly don't know how ANYONE who's interested in really playing with Android can trust buying anything but a Nexus. Being at the whim of carrier firmware tweaks and OEM updates has been an absolute nightmare for me. The worst part is, you just have to trust that your OEM and carrier won't screw up your phone during your ownership period at the time of purchase. If they decide to screw you over (Hello, moto), there's nothing you can do about it. So, to me, the software experience on a Nexus outweighs EVERYTHING any other Android device can offer. I have an S3 in my household and I really do think it's a great phone. So far Samsung has done a great job with updates (we have the Sprint S3 so we didn't have to deal with the kies debacle...). But I will never buy an Android outside the Nexus line again until I see a long trend that looks different than the current one.

The premium pack for S3 is coming with so much new stuff and i hope that you have seen the official video of it? How someone can not like it? Software updates are not a problem with samsung anymore. I do not live in US so I don't have to go through carier for updates :) i don't have S3 but S3 users would get a nice surprise in form of premium update. By the way S3 north american version itself is a version of S3 and laggy. My friend has it and I have hands on experience with it. My wife's International S3 is way snappier and better than that.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The premium pack for S3 is coming with so much new stuff and i hope that you have seen the official video of it? How someone can not like it? Software updates are not a problem with samsung anymore. I do not live in US so I don't have to go through carier for updates :) i don't have S3 but S3 users would get a nice surprise in form of premium update. By the way S3 north american version itself is a version of S3 and laggy. My friend has it and I have hands on experience with it. My wife's International S3 is way snappier and better than that.

US and international versions still have to wait to be updated. Os updates to come from Google directly like they do with the nexus devices. Sammy still has put there annoying skin and push it out in there own time frame. As far as lag goes that's including the international version as well. Its not horribly laggy but its there. Definitely behind the buttery smoothness of the nexus 4. Again this is coming off of experience as well and in no way am I bashing the s3.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I wouldnt take the N4 if I was paid to.

Almost everything is better on the SGS3 over the n4 except battery. The main reason for that is not Google Now, it is the LTE/HSPA difference.

Some things from the long post from ChrisXe:

TW at this point is better than "pure Google". Yes it is bigger, but I also have TONS more room on the sgs3 than the n4. The old adage that tw slows down the phone is gone. Now it is all about the features that are added with TW as compared to how bare AOSP is. That is ok, AOSP is supposed to be bare.

SGS3 will see 4.2 pretty soon. The premium upgrade that is coming is 4.2. It is already going out in some places I believe. When is the issue. I would say Q1 of 2013.

If the screen is better, I don't see it. is it the DNA's screen...nope but neither is the N4. There are differences between the two but they are jsut that. Both have pluses and minuses.

The camera on the SGS3 is leaps and bounds ahead of the n4 in every category..

Again, you couldnt pay me to take a N4

This post is hilarious. We're all glad you like your GS3, Pizzadude. I very quickly gave the GS3 to my gf as it perils in comparison to my LTE gnex on a 4.2.1 linaro build(well, it wasn't this back then, but no matter), in my real world everyday situations. It really felt like a slightly slimmer downgrade. Don't get me wrong, it's a great phone (especially @ $50-$100) and my gf LOVES it, but it felt like a slower, slightly slimmer gnex even on CM. It's no myth TouchWiz bogs the phone down, it just does, a whole lot when you're used to AOSP based roms WITH all of the good TW features and more (and none of the garbage). Also you can easily add any "TW features" (that they borrowed from custom devs and built into their rom) to plain jane vanilla Android, and not bog down your device. GS3 has a great camera, but I've learned to take some good pics on my gnex in the not so often times I need or want to. So the N4 would only be better. Point is you have an opinion. I have an opinion. At least mine is made with both devices in my house. I can only imagine how badly the N4 will stomp, with it's clearly superior hardware advantage, once the devs really start pumping out their solid work. Of course I'll see it with my own eyes one way or another.

Oh, and I always see non-Nexi owners trolling the Nexus forums and rarely the other way around. Says something...

Edit: read a few more posts...no need to start a new thread but those of you who think running AOKP/CM on a non AOSP supported device (GS3) is the same experience as running them on a Nexus are either inexperienced or have at least had different experiences than myself and other crackflashers I know in the wild.

Last edited:

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Had a stock AT&T GS3 with a fresh update to JB via kies last week which IMO made for a much better user experience. My N4 is a great phone although I can't seem to get my APN dialed in for better download speeds so right now it is very sluggish and I am missing the LTE speeds on my GS3.
To me both phones offer a lot to the user but for now I am leaning towards my GS3 until I can figure out what the issue is with my data speeds on my N4

Niels72

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Love reading such comparison. You can't compare these phone's amongst each other. Both phone's are targeted at a different audience. SIII will be bought more by, excuse me for saying this, the mainstream people. Also the guy who is selling the contracts will talk towards the SIII. Nothing wrong with the SIII, I don't have it though but that's mainly I don't like any shell on top of android.

The Nexus 4 will be bought by people how know what there buying. The know the phone will need since preparation in order to make it yours. If you buy a Nexus 4 you buy it for the updates Google sends out so you have the latest android or because you like the ability to have a phone which is easy to root and flash custom ROM. And that is a whole different audience then the "mainstream" user buying the SIII.

I for that matter don't own a Nexus 4 just yet, I must use different ways getting it across to the Netherlands. It will arrive propably mid January. Like stated before I don't like any shell over android. I had several but always rooted and flashed them to ASOP. I also owned a iPhone 4S which I gave to my son after using it for some months.

Android in its purest form is the best way of enjoying android. Anything else can be good but isn't the way Google ment it.

Is you like the SIII over the Nexus, fine but you just can't compare these phone's on software. Just pointless.

Verstuurd van mijn Galaxy Nexus met Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463