Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Any Galaxy S3 users get a Nexus 4? What are your impressions?

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Wasn't said by me, it was a quote from some one else.
    weird how it misquoted you i'll fix it
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Enjoy your phone and I will get more out of mine.
    you're really good at provoking me...
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

tlrsax^^^ the point is that all of these features and countless others from Android based roms (aka TouchWiz, Sense, Blur) are available via apps or custom roms. That's where the OEM's and even Google itself gets "their" ideas most of the time (let's not leave Apple or Microsoft out of this). Someone mentioned vanilla Android as a clean canvas. Great analogy! So you can have whatever you like, and not bog or blog your device with the stuff you don't want or need. I'll be the first to say AOSP roms are way to plain for me. I've only run AOSP builds for the few hours it takes feature rich rom devs to release a build after a new version of Android hits AOSP. I just know that I could get most all of my can't live without features on a stock device via the play store.

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tlrsax54 View Post
    Mostly these : Attachment 50770
    I could probably live without them, but they're nice to have lol

I also like facebook syncs its contact photos and calendar to my phone, I'm not sure if the Nexus does that or not :/

S-Beam and some of the instant share features in the camera app are nice but I haven't used them too much

Edit : I am also a sucker for Helvetica font.....I like that Samsung has it as an option now!
    Also, my brother got the GS2.....I don't think it's near as fluid and nice as the S3's UI
    can you explain the ones you have checked? im too lazy to look it up lol

Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    nah... we're all friends here. we're here because we love technology. this debate was bound to happen, so might as well get it over with lol
    True, these debates are bound to happen but the end results are the same. I love technology as well I am just speaking on how people take their passion for a phone into more than just opinion is hilarious.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
    bobjohnson201 likes this.

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

I call it a barebones OS. Essentially what you are saying. There is nothing wrong with it, it just doesnt do what I want, and on top of that, I do not want to spend the time searching out apps.

As I quoted it is a sidegrade in phone not an upgrade
    For you, bud, for you. Those are the type of "opinion" words you just don't like to put into your posts. Like I said, the CM GS3 at home felt less than a sidegrade, to me, than my LTE gnex. I feel the gnex is still by far the best LTE phone for crackflasher's and tinkerer's ( I've never had any issues since launch day as lots of other's had...bad QC to blame).That said, obviously I didn't upgrade to the N4 as I dont feel it's enough to leave VZW, YET, as I'm on a cheap old unlimited data family plan and I'm still super happy with my device. I've never had a phone that feels new within days of owning it 1 year....and that I can foresee it still feeling fresh and new for many months to come and finish out my contract. Then I'll see what Nexi are out. Those with N4 will be able to say the same thing many months down the road. Franco already ditched the GS3, the big two rom devs will support it for a while, but that's not nearly enough variety for me. If you're happy now, and still are months down the road. Good for you, you win

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

direct call--when you have a contact on the screen, put the phone to your ear and it will dial
    smart alert--will vibrate when you pick up the phone to let you know you you missed something
    tilt to zoom--if you have a picture up and tilt the phone it will zoom in the direction you tilt.
    Pan to move icon--Press and hold an icon on the homescreen, then tilt the phone and it will move screens to change the icon location
    pan to browse--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHq7JDn22k8
    I also use shake to update and the turn over to mute, double tap is nice when it works right
    direct call seems kinda useless, i mean i'd honestly rather tap the # to call but thats me
    smart alert, again seems useless as light flow seems more useful since i can just look at the phone and look at the specific colors (i have green for emails, blue for texts, red for calls, etc.)
    tilt to zoom, pan to move icon, shake to update, pan to browse and double tap to get to the top seems nice but honestly seem very minor. anyone know of some apps that can do these?

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Voice control is very convenient, especially on the music player when I'm in the shower and the one song I don't feel like hearing comes on lol I just simply say NEXT and it goes to the next song.
    this feature would be very useful while driving. 3rd party app anyone?

direct call--when you have a contact on the screen, put the phone to your ear and it will dial
    smart alert--will vibrate when you pick up the phone to let you know you you missed something
    tilt to zoom--if you have a picture up and tilt the phone it will zoom in the direction you tilt.
    Pan to move icon--Press and hold an icon on the homescreen, then tilt the phone and it will move screens to change the icon location
    pan to browse--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHq7JDn22k8
    I also use shake to update and the turn over to mute, double tap is nice when it works right
    I'd like to find an app to duplicate all those functions

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    most likely would be 'apps'

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    tlrsax^^^ the point is that all of these features and countless others from Android based roms (aka TouchWiz, Sense, Blur) are available via apps or custom roms. That's where the OEM's and even Google itself gets "their" ideas most of the time (let's not leave Apple or Microsoft out of this). Someone mentioned vanilla Android as a clean canvas. Great analogy! So you can have whatever you like, and not bog or blog your device with the stuff you don't want or need. I'll be the first to say AOSP roms are way to plain for me. I've only run AOSP builds for the few hours it takes feature rich rom devs to release a build after a new version of Android hits AOSP. I just know that I could get most all of my can't live without features on a stock device via the play store.
    I haven't seen many of those EXACT features in any non-touchwiz ROM, as well as the new features coming up in the update they started pushing out (same with apps)...but maybe there is, I haven't taken the time to go through Nexus development threads...some reason it seems impossible to put them into AOSP based roms for the S3 lol.

direct call seems kinda useless, i mean i'd honestly rather tap the # to call but thats me
    smart alert, again seems useless as light flow seems more useful since i can just look at the phone and look at the specific colors (i have green for emails, blue for texts, red for calls, etc.)
    tilt to zoom, pan to move icon, shake to update, pan to browse and double tap to get to the top seems nice but honestly seem very minor. anyone know of some apps that can do these?
    In a way they are "useless," but they are nice to have. I don't like waiting for my LED, and as soon as I take my phone out of the pocket it vibrates letting me know I have something, I always found that pretty handy. I also use two other features I forgot, Smart Stay (screen stays on when you are looking at it) and Smart Rotation (screen won't rotate when it's not suppose to)...to my knowledge I don't know any apps that do any of those. There are apps to do the video pop out thing though lol, that's kind of cool.

Me too, or else I would be running AOKP right now lol. ...even if the option is there to find 10-15 apps to duplicate those functions, what a pain in the...
    The Hustleman and ConTejas like this.

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

these things do seem kinda cool but definitely don't turn the tables. at least for me.

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts

I'd also love to find a duplicate of the swype for screen shot. I use it ALL the time. I know I'm going to miss it if I choose the nexus 4. I know I can still take a screen shot, but just swyping is beyond handy and I love doing it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

Accidental repost

But yes the swype screenshot is great.

I know I'd miss that.

Catch up nexus!

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

Quote Originally Posted by codeda View Post
    I'd also love to find a duplicate of the swype for screen shot. I use it ALL the time. I know I'm going to miss it if I choose the nexus 4. I know I can still take a screen shot, but just swyping is beyond handy and I love doing it.

You could easy set a swipe (^^swype ) action to take a screenshot etc using nova/apex/etc. On my 4.2.1 build I have these 10 (long press for other 5) everywhere including the lock screen. N4 has this too. Quick swipe right = screen shot
    Any Galaxy SIII users get a Nexus 4?  What are your impressions?-uploadfromtaptalk1355406661641.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    codeda 

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

what about some apps to do some of the other things mentioned before?

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

Accidental repost

But yes the swype screenshot is great.

I know I'd miss that.

Catch up nexus!
    if you're happy with the GS3, why even bother with the nexus then? Just curious.

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts

Don't know about their reasoning, but for me I am ditching sprint so the choice is between getting a new s3 with tmobile or getting the nexus 4. One phone I know I already love and one phone I'm unsure of but sure is a lot cheaper.

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts

SGS3 will see 4.2 pretty soon. The premium upgrade that is coming is 4.2. It is already going out in some places I believe. When is the issue. I would say Q1 of 2013.
    Doubt it. 4.2 isn't going out anywhere for anything but Nexus devices. 4.1 is just now hitting the US S3 variants. It took 5 months from the time 4.1 hit the Galaxy Nexus. I wouldn't expect 4.2 on the US S3 variants until the beginning of Q2 2013, around April. Then Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie will likely hit at the end of Q2, around June, right after the US S3s get 4.2.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saadi703 View Post
    The premium pack for S3 is coming with so much new stuff and i hope that you have seen the official video of it? How someone can not like it? Software updates are not a problem with samsung anymore. I do not live in US so I don't have to go through carier for updates :-) i don't have S3 but S3 users would get a nice surprise in form of premium update. By the way S3 north american version itself is a version of S3 and laggy. My friend has it and I have hands on experience with it. My wife's International S3 is way snappier and better than that.
    Software updates are still a problem for Samsung here in the US. And it's hard for us Americans to justify paying almost three times as much and forgoing LTE to get the unlocked international version over the carrier subsidized version. If I could get an unlocked international S3 for $350, I might pick it over the Nexus 4, but the S3 is definitely not worth $200 to $250 more than the Nexus 4 to me.
    RisaChan likes this.

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Arguing about phones is very funny. Everyone has an opinion. The S3 came out in the summer and the N4 just recently so of course it is going to have better hardware. When the S4 comes out next year, it will have better specs than both phones.

Now the issue between TW, Sense, Blur, etc vs AOSP is pure opinion. I dabbled with an AOSP build on an older phone. I did like the "blank canvas" and began downloading apps that would replicate much of the functions I found in my original factory ROM. I spent so much time getting back to how I liked it, I realized it was just better off for me to go back to the factory ROM. Different strokes for different folks.

In my family, one person has the S3 and it is a great phone. Being in VZW, the N4 is not an option. The lack of LTE is also a no go from my gf on ATT, so there goes that option. Ashame that there were compromises made for the nexus 4. My perfect phone? Quad core processor, 2GB RAM, LTE access, all carriers, battery life of the MAXX, screen of the DNA, SD card slot, removable battery, great camera, and availability of AOSP. Hopefully this describes the S4 or a Motorola Nexus...
    Last edited by t0ked; 12-13-2012 at 01:05 PM.

if you're happy with the GS3, why even bother with the nexus then? Just curious.
    Just want the type of cpu and ram that the GS3 was supposed to have.

Plus I want fast updates.

Just want the best of both worlds

XChrisX likes this.

Almost everything is better on the SGS3 over the n4 except battery
    Troll much?

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts

I've been playing with the nexus 4 all day today. Camera is Def not as good, so that would take some getting used to. Shots outside are fine though. I have someone that wants a nexus horribly so they will trade me for a tmobile gs3 if I decide I don't want it. Going to give it a fair chance though. It's always fun playing with something a bit different.

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    You could easy set a swipe (^^swype ) action to take a screenshot etc using nova/apex/etc. On my 4.2.1 build I have these 10 (long press for other 5) everywhere including the lock screen. N4 has this too. Quick swipe right = screen shot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1355406661641.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	50846

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    how do you do this with nova? im not rooted
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast