Any Galaxy SIII users get a Nexus 4? What are your impressions?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't own a Nexus 4 yet. My first Android experience has been my current phone, the Atrix 4G. After owning it for a 18 months now, I honestly don't know how ANYONE who's interested in really playing with Android can trust buying anything but a Nexus. Being at the whim of carrier firmware tweaks and OEM updates has been an absolute nightmare for me. The worst part is, you just have to trust that your OEM and carrier won't screw up your phone during your ownership period at the time of purchase. If they decide to screw you over (Hello, moto), there's nothing you can do about it. So, to me, the software experience on a Nexus outweighs EVERYTHING any other Android device can offer. I have an S3 in my household and I really do think it's a great phone. So far Samsung has done a great job with updates (we have the Sprint S3 so we didn't have to deal with the kies debacle...). But I will never buy an Android outside the Nexus line again until I see a long trend that looks different than the current one.
What this person said is exactly why I just bought a Nexus 4. And let me tell you, jellybean 4.2 is amazing. So smooth. I use Go Launcher so I have the phone setup similar to my SGS2 (not S3) and it is night and day different. Fast, bright and full of features. And when Key lime pie comes out I get it right away. Oh and did I mention its cheap and carrier free? No brainier.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Had a stock AT&T GS3 with a fresh update to JB via kies last week which IMO made for a much better user experience. My N4 is a great phone although I can't seem to get my APN dialed in for better download speeds so right now it is very sluggish and I am missing the LTE speeds on my GS3.
To me both phones offer a lot to the user but for now I am leaning towards my GS3 until I can figure out what the issue is with my data speeds on my N4
Your best bet is taking your phone into AT&T to see what they can do for you. However, as of last night my sim card is also back in my GS3. I was heading out to a Christmas party where I knew signal would be an issue on my Nexus 4, so I put my sim back in the GS3 for the night just to be safe. In an area where I was seeing 5mbps DL MAX with my N4, I was pulling 44.90 mbps with my GS3. I might consider calling AT&T, or going into a retail front to see if they can help me out here. If not I might stick with my GS3. The Nexus 4 is an absolute beast spec wise but I live in an area that is heavily blanketed with LTE, and I didn't think it would make a difference losing it but the difference is painfully noticeable.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any Galaxy S3 users get a Nexus 4? What are your impressions?

Isn't it though?:) I get about the same speeds here and it really sucks flipping back down to H+

Maybe if I was pulling 20+mbps dl like some of the TMO, and UK folks I'd consider sticking with the N4. However, I forgot how great LTE was in my area until I switched to the N4. I guess the grass isn't always greener. :/

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Maybe if I was pulling 20+mbps dl like some of the TMO, and UK folks I'd consider sticking with the N4. However, I forgot how great LTE was in my area until I switched to the N4. I guess the grass isn't always greener. :/

I get great 3G speeds, so the N4 is more than acceptable for me. My speed test results - Australia

ysahudys.jpg

It's not LTE speeds, but for web browsing/music streaming, it's more than enough.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I get great 3G speeds, so the N4 is more than acceptable for me. My speed test results - Australia

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/22/ysahudys.jpg

It's not LTE speeds, but for web browsing/music streaming, it's more than enough.

That's really impressive! At most I was able to get 12mbps dl, and I've never been able to duplicate that since. I usually only get 3-4mbps down in an area where I can pull as high as 50mbps with LTE. I've tried a countless number of APNS as well, with no luck. Maybe I'll give my provider a buzz, and see what they can do.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That's really impressive! At most I was able to get 12mbps dl, and I've never been able to duplicate that since. I usually only get 3-4mbps down in an area where I can pull as high as 50mbps with LTE. I've tried a countless number of APNS as well, with no luck. Maybe I'll give my provider a buzz, and see what they can do.

That's because ATT only rolled out HSPA+ 21. More than likely his carrier is using DC-HSPA+ 42 like T-mobile USA has.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
That's because ATT only rolled out HSPA+ 21. More than likely his carrier is using DC-HSPA+ 42 like T-mobile USA has.

Yep my carrier (Telstra) does 42mbit hspa. Plus they have great coverage, so I'm not in a rush to get a 4G phone.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I switched from a GS3 to the nexus 4 and holy cow am I in love.. With 3 exceptions

1. Battery life is Atrocious!
2. Removable battery
3. LTE.

I could care less about the LTE to be honest since there's no coverage where I live and work... But when I visited NYC and Nassau County I loved it... Even on the North fork of LI I got the blazing speeds... But it drainedy battery too fast so no qualms there...

How ever I'm sticking with the N4 due to the screen and build quality... My Galaxy just feels cheap and.... The screen just blah compared to this phone...

As for the play issue. Never had that. I do have it drain a lot when I use it. But on Standby this phone got me through the day lol.. With little use...

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well the lg nexus is ok but tooo iOS glassy. I'll prefer my Samsung Gnex:D

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Have you had the screens on both side by side. I use my phone a lot especially with white backgrounds and the screen quality is night and day. Nexus 4 has clean colors while GNex has a dirty "screen door" effect in the background due to the pentile display.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well the lg nexus is ok but tooo iOS glassy. I'll prefer my Samsung Gnex:D

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Some prefer AMOLED to IPS. I think the screen is superior on the N4 but that is my preference.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Lol even though I do like the gnex screen I have seen the note,DNA and the nex4 screens and I do agree all of em do look raw and the colors do pop out a lil more on the nex4 like I said its too iPhone fragile for my taste and I don't rock cases unless its extreme weather conditions so looks matter and I prefer the material on my gnex but if the new 4 had these and on SPRINT I'll get one in a heartbeat lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Lol even though I do like the gnex screen I have seen the note,DNA and the nex4 screens and I do agree all of em do look raw and the colors do pop out a lil more on the nex4 like I said its too iPhone fragile for my taste and I don't rock cases unless its extreme weather conditions so looks matter and I prefer the material on my gnex but if the new 4 had these and on SPRINT I'll get one in a heartbeat lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
It definitely is a delicate device. I am paranoid holding it after all the horror stories.

damo

#teamandroid
May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just come from the intentional S3 with 2gb RAM to my N4 and I'm over the moon. I find this noticeably quicker than the S3 and after a few charges, the battery is spot on. Much prefer the N4 screen and vanilla android is light years better.

The only thing I'm missing? Accessories aren't and probably never will be available in the same numbers and choice that Samsung gave me.

Funny, when I pulled the S3 out of my pocket, people always commented on it wanting to look at the iPhone killer! But the N4 fades into the oblivion, probably due to Samsung's huge media presence.

Would I go back to Samsung? No chance...

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Would I go back to Samsung? No chance...

That's precisely how I feel. The I've owned Samsung android phones for 2.5 years now and I really have no intention to go back. I prefer the IPS LCD displays over the highly saturated AMOLED displays, absolutely love stock android over Touchwiz and the gimmick addons they packed into the S3 either didn't work properly or were unless to me.

No doubt the Galaxy S4 will be a technical powerhouse (though I'll be interested to see if they can make 1080p AMOLED displays at such high ppi) but I genuinely have no reason to go back to Samsung.

I think I'll stick with Nexus devices from here on out. I haven't even rooted my Nexus 4, no real need to.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

i went from a VZW Galaxy nexus to an ATT GS3 to the Nexus 4 on ATT.

Pros:
IPS feels so much better than SAMOLED. Ips is way less saturated and just plain looks better
Snapdragon s4 pro smokes the GS3 processor light years ahead of the g nex
Android 4.2 and guaranteed updates on time, no VZW timeline
No physical buttons (the home button is bad but having all the menus hidden was intolerable on the GS3)
glass and build quality feels like a premium device
price
exclusivity

Neutral:
The camera is just as good on the GS3 and N4. Don't believe people who say the s3 is clearly better. If either is better, it is negligible
lack of LTE. I thought it was a con but HSPA+ is plenty fast in practical use and uses less battery. ambivalent

Cons
small storage on the N4. I dont need an SD slot but 32gb should be the minimum. I just started using google music and it is amazing
GS3 is thinner but it is also wider and bigger. I prefer the form factor of the nexus but the thinness of the S3
the gs3 is more durable for drops
removable battery is not to swap them out or pull to reboot if needed

for me the clear winner is the Nexus 4. It is so much better in terms of OS and speed it is crazy. if it had 32gb ROM, LTE and a bigger battery it would be the perfect phone. It is more than sufficient to get me another year of use without feeling bad about its lack of those features. I will undoubtedly get the next nexus and it will hopefully have fixed these issues.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
That's precisely how I feel. The I've owned Samsung android phones for 2.5 years now and I really have no intention to go back. I prefer the IPS LCD displays over the highly saturated AMOLED displays, absolutely love stock android over Touchwiz and the gimmick addons they packed into the S3 either didn't work properly or were unless to me.

No doubt the Galaxy S4 will be a technical powerhouse (though I'll be interested to see if they can make 1080p AMOLED displays at such high ppi) but I genuinely have no reason to go back to Samsung.

I think I'll stick with Nexus devices from here on out. I haven't even rooted my Nexus 4, no real need to.

The Nexus 10 is more than 1080p with AMOLED is it not?

ErickMendez

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I wouldnt take the N4 if I was paid to.

Almost everything is better on the SGS3 over the n4 except battery. The main reason for that is not Google Now, it is the LTE/HSPA difference.

Some things from the long post from ChrisXe:

TW at this point is better than "pure Google". Yes it is bigger, but I also have TONS more room on the sgs3 than the n4. The old adage that tw slows down the phone is gone. Now it is all about the features that are added with TW as compared to how bare AOSP is. That is ok, AOSP is supposed to be bare.

SGS3 will see 4.2 pretty soon. The premium upgrade that is coming is 4.2. It is already going out in some places I believe. When is the issue. I would say Q1 of 2013.

If the screen is better, I don't see it. is it the DNA's screen...nope but neither is the N4. There are differences between the two but they are jsut that. Both have pluses and minuses.

The camera on the SGS3 is leaps and bounds ahead of the n4 in every category..

Again, you couldnt pay me to take a N4

You actually think its coming in Q1 of 2012 .. your nuts people are just getting jelly bean updates.. and by then the nexus 4 will have key lime pie

- - - Updated - - -

Almost everything is better on the SGS3 over the n4 except battery. The main reason for that is not Google Now, it is the LTE/HSPA difference.

TW at this point is better than "pure Google". Yes it is bigger, but I also have TONS more room on the sgs3 than the n4. The old adage that tw slows down the phone is gone. Now it is all about the features that are added with TW as compared to how bare AOSP is. That is ok, AOSP is supposed to be bare.

SGS3 will see 4.2 pretty soon. The premium upgrade that is coming is 4.2. It is already going out in some places I believe. When is the issue. I would say Q1 of 2013.

If the screen is better, I don't see it. is it the DNA's screen...nope but neither is the N4. There are differences between the two but they are jsut that. Both have pluses and minuses.

You actually think its coming in Q1 of 2012 .. your nuts people are just getting jelly bean updates.. and by then the nexus 4 will have key lime pie

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

i went from a VZW Galaxy nexus to an ATT GS3 to the Nexus 4 on ATT.

Pros:
IPS feels so much better than SAMOLED. Ips is way less saturated and just plain looks better
Snapdragon s4 pro smokes the GS3 processor light years ahead of the g nex
Android 4.2 and guaranteed updates on time, no VZW timeline
No physical buttons (the home button is bad but having all the menus hidden was intolerable on the GS3)
glass and build quality feels like a premium device
price
exclusivity

Neutral:
The camera is just as good on the GS3 and N4. Don't believe people who say the s3 is clearly better. If either is better, it is negligible
lack of LTE. I thought it was a con but HSPA+ is plenty fast in practical use and uses less battery. ambivalent

Cons
small storage on the N4. I dont need an SD slot but 32gb should be the minimum. I just started using google music and it is amazing
GS3 is thinner but it is also wider and bigger. I prefer the form factor of the nexus but the thinness of the S3
the gs3 is more durable for drops
removable battery is not to swap them out or pull to reboot if needed

for me the clear winner is the Nexus 4. It is so much better in terms of OS and speed it is crazy. if it had 32gb ROM, LTE and a bigger battery it would be the perfect phone. It is more than sufficient to get me another year of use without feeling bad about its lack of those features. I will undoubtedly get the next nexus and it will hopefully have fixed these issues.

To be fair, it's late 2012, almost 2013. These issues should have been standard on the device from day 1. LTE isn't a key feature for 2013, it's been a key feature since 2011!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith