Any Galaxy SIII users get a Nexus 4? What are your impressions?

AndreaCristiano

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, it's late 2012, almost 2013. These issues should have been standard on the device from day 1. LTE isn't a key feature for 2013, it's been a key feature since 2011!

The LTE argument is total bull . Almost no one has LTE ON AT&T AND OR TMOBILE the only two networks that this phone works on. So if the majority don't have access to LTE its only relevant to a small sector which in turn is negligible as noticed by the nexus 4 sales

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, it's late 2012, almost 2013. These issues should have been standard on the device from day 1. LTE isn't a key feature for 2013, it's been a key feature since 2011!
it's a matter of speed that truly matters. HSPA+ is sometimes faster than LTE in certain markets. I'm in Canada and have been swapping back and forth between LTE and HSPA+ just to check speeds and LTE has been slower a number of times or the same. So as long as the signal is good you wont really notice the difference.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted s3 running AOKP ROM, I enabled the on screen nav buttons and disabled the hardware buttons except for the home button. I call it the Nexus S3.

I am running jellybean (Verizon s3) and very soon will be running 4.2. I am already running the 4.2 apps.

I essentially have the pure Google experience on (in my opinion) the best quality phone I have used. The sound quality is awesome, the camera is awesome and the battery life is amazing. Plus I have 4g LTE and a pretty swag boot up animation.

Running custom ROMs let's me change so many things on the phone. I don't need to have a Nexus, I just need solid hardware and an unlocked boot loader and then I can have whatever experience I want, be it touch wiz or AOSP.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I could get an iPhone 5 then root that and have an even better phone! But I'd prefer not doing any of that bs and just use my awesome n4 over my horrible gs3

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Originally Posted by Mastaking<br />
I have a rooted s3 running AOKP ROM, I enabled the on screen nav buttons and disabled the hardware buttons except for the home button. I call it the Nexus S3.<br />
<br />
I am running jellybean (Verizon s3) and very soon will be running 4.2. I am already running the 4.2 apps.<br />
<br />
I essentially have the pure Google experience on (in my opinion) the best quality phone I have used. The sound quality is awesome, the camera is awesome and the battery life is amazing. Plus I have 4g LTE and a pretty swag boot up animation.<br />
<br />
Running custom ROMs let's me change so many things on the phone. I don't need to have a Nexus, I just need solid hardware and an unlocked boot loader and then I can have whatever experience I want, be it touch wiz or AOSP.<br />
<br />
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
<br />
<br />
I could get an iPhone 5 then root that and have an even better phone! But I'd prefer not doing any of that bs and just use my awesome n4 over my horrible gs3<br />
<br />
And you would do it for $350 and smile all day long.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any Galaxy S3 users get a Nexus 4? What are your impressions?

The LTE argument is total bull. Almost no one has LTE ON AT&T AND OR TMOBILE the only two networks that this phone works on. So if the majority don't have access to LTE its only relevant to a small sector which in turn is negligible as noticed by the nexus 4 sales

Are you kidding me? AT&T has a rather LARGE LTE footprint in the states, and I am blanketed heavily by it down in Houston, Texas. I understand that LTE is relative to those that have access to it, but to say that "Almost no one on AT&T" has access to it, is a bit ignorant.

AndreaCristiano

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you kidding me? AT&T has a rather LARGE LTE footprint in the states, and I am blanketed heavily by it down in Houston, Texas. I understand that LTE is relative to those that have access to it, but to say that "Almost no one on AT&T" has access to it, is a bit ignorant.

Are you kidding me? Att covers mostly urban areas with LTE and only a little bit around those and at the most its like 3000 cities the rest is hspa+
That's not a lot of LTE
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%2F%2Fwww.att.com%2Fnetwork%2F&token=cLsw054t

AndreaCristiano

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I mean for instance I live in central jersey an hour out of NYC and 40 min from Philadelphia and no LTE here. In the most densely populated county Monmouth

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Are you kidding me? Att covers mostly urban areas with LTE and only a little bit around those and at the most its like 200 cities the rest is hspa+

With the assumption that most of us with Nexus 4's live in the sticks away from proper AT&T coverage? It might be true that T-Mobile doesn't offer true LTE, only HSPA+ but AT&T LTE coverage seems to cover the most densely populated areas. The idea is that LTE > HSPA+

AndreaCristiano

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
With the assumption that most of us with Nexus 4's live in the sticks away from proper AT&T coverage? It might be true that T-Mobile doesn't offer true LTE, only HSPA+ but AT&T LTE coverage seems to cover the most densely populated areas. The idea is that LTE > HSPA+

I get the idea but your assertion that its a buying point or a reason not to buy just doesn't bear out in the facts I posted an edited post above plus the sales numbers of said device proves that no one thinks LTE is important yet. When its blanketed all over by end of 2013 early 2014 then it will matter now it only matters to a few.
PS I don't live in the sticks and I don't have LTE

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I get the idea but your assertion that its a buying point or a reason not to buy just doesn't bear out in the facts I posted an edited post above plus the sales numbers of said device proves that no one thinks LTE is important yet. When its blanketed all over by end of 2013 early 2014 then it will matter now it only matters to a few.
PS I don't live in the sticks and I don't have LTE
Apple was chastised for not including LTE in the iPhone 4S, but Google excludes it in the Nexus 4, and it's suddenly OK? I understand that real world usage varies, but LTE in 2012/early 2013 definitely matters.

AndreaCristiano

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Apple was chastised for not including LTE in the iPhone 4S, but Google excludes it in the Nexus 4, and it's suddenly OK? I understand that real world usage varies, but LTE in 2012/early 2013 definitely matters.

I wasn't one that chastised apple I thought it made sense as it does now for Google

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 10 is more than 1080p with AMOLED is it not?

No it is not. The Nexus 10 is a TFT LCD screen, not AMOLED.

I think Samsung have issues making high ppi screens with AMOLED. The Galaxy S3 has a penile matrix, presumably because they couldn't make SAMOLED+ displays at that resolution and ppi.

Galaxy Note 2 has RGB matrix, however it's not sRGB and has its own weird layout. Add to that, the Note 2 isn't hitting the ppi of other screens on the market.

I think if Samsung are unable to to make 1080p screens at 400+ ppi or whatever they're hitting these days, their only option would be to go to LCD, which imo is better anyway.

However if Samsung decide to stick to AMOLED and can't hit the resolution the competitors can do, it'd be great marketing for HTC and Sony and LG to come out with 1080p screens and point to Samsung, showing that they are still pushing out 720p screens simply because they stubbornly stuck to AMOLED.

But who knows. Maybe they'll manage to make 1080p phones with AMOLED displays on 2013. I'd like to hope so.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Well he said that he is rooted running a custom rom based on 4.2 AOSP. So the argument of the nexus 4 getting faster updates is irrelevant, I'll still take the S3 any day.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
No it is not. The Nexus 10 is a TFT LCD screen, not AMOLED.

I think Samsung have issues making high ppi screens with AMOLED. The Galaxy S3 has a penile matrix, presumably because they couldn't make SAMOLED+ displays at that resolution and ppi.

Galaxy Note 2 has RGB matrix, however it's not sRGB and has its own weird layout. Add to that, the Note 2 isn't hitting the ppi of other screens on the market.

I think if Samsung are unable to to make 1080p screens at 400+ ppi or whatever they're hitting these days, their only option would be to go to LCD, which imo is better anyway.

However if Samsung decide to stick to AMOLED and can't hit the resolution the competitors can do, it'd be great marketing for HTC and Sony and LG to come out with 1080p screens and point to Samsung, showing that they are still pushing out 720p screens simply because they stubbornly stuck to AMOLED.

But who knows. Maybe they'll manage to make 1080p phones with AMOLED displays on 2013. I'd like to hope so.

Well that makes sense why that display is do sweet.

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I decided to get my wife an S3...mostly because I wanted to play with it, and compare it to my N4. She couldn't care less about what phone she uses.

S3 negatives compared to N4:
My initial impression is that the S3 is full of gimmicks. Some work...Some don't. All I can live without. Touchwiz is a hideous ui and should feel bad for being so ugly. I'm not crazy about the hardware home button, but that's no big deal. The build quality seriously feels like a Playskool designed toy phone. I was literally worried about snapping the egg shell thin back plate when I was setting up the phone. The N4 is way smoother and absolutely screams, the S3 hiccups occasionally... But it's certainly no slouch. Bloatware... Worst ever. Partially t-mobile's fault... I'll give it that, but much of it is Samsung's crap.

S3 positives compared to N4:
I'll leave the obvious out (storage, lte etc). The S3 camera is pretty dang nice. I'd say much better than the N4. While the screen may not have the resolution of the N4, I rather like the over saturated look of the colors. Not nearly as annoyingly blue/cool as I once thought. (I still prefer the N4's screen though... Try to find a pixel... I dare you). Some of the gimmicky features are cool, if for nothing else other than a wow factor. The bigger screen is kind of nice as well. After setting up the S3 and going back to the N4, the N4 seemed small.

In the end, having the chance to own both of the big boys of the current market it solidifies that I'm a Nexus fan. Vanilla android is for me. I can not stand Touchwiz, Sense is a little better, don't like Motoblur but also don't have a ton of experience with it. Knowing I will be running the most current version of android is also a big deal for me. What can I say, I'm an update junkie. The form factor of the N4 is also a big selling point, it just looks and feels like a quality, classy, high end phone.

The S3 is a great phone... Just not for me.

David DeCoste

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
You can enable infinite scrolling on the Nexus 4 in settings.

My observations:

* Nexus 4 Better Screen - The color temperature is more white not warm (yellow tint with S3). It makes the S3 seem like older used degrading lcd due to the yellow tint.
* Nexus 4 people skin tones on video and photographs looks more natural.
* JellyBean 4.2 is better than Jellybean 4.1.1 <--(Doubt they will go to 4.2 on S3 and how long will it take?).
* Speed difference was not really noticeable. We are talking milliseconds when launching apps.
* Nexus 4 = Pure Google Experience. No touch wiz , no s voice
* I was able to upgrade S3 to Jellybean 4.1.1 and it was a pain. You might have to get S4 for Keylime Pie update looking into the future.
* I can't say if I miss Touchwiz.
* The home button I feel like I miss since I've used Iphone for 4 years and enabling the screen requires a press of the power key on Nexus 4. Kinda hard to get to.
* Easier to hold Nexus 4 since it has more real estate on the sides of it compared to S3 which narrows on the edge.
* I think S3 has slightly better camera when taking night shots. I have not compared day shots but N4 looks good with day shots.
* Probably better battery life on S3, when I used it using ICS, but Google Now (Jellybean) I think uses more battery.
* I was getting 10mb down on LTE (most of the time 3-6mb) and about 3-4mb on HSPA (ATT) but due to battery needs of Nexus 4 or Jellybean 4.2 I use juice defender and it takes a little longer to enable radios and start downloading data.
* I also miss the scrolling of home pages on S3. N4 stops when you get to the last one. The S3 automatically loads the other pages continuously.

Overall I would keep the N4 and actually selling S3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith