Any Galaxy SIII users get a Nexus 4? What are your impressions?

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It makes a difference. On the GNex I could only fit four columns of icons/folders/widgets on the home screen while the N4 can fit 5.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Any Galaxy S3 users get a Nexus 4? What are your impressions?

Touchwiz is a hideous ui and should feel bad for being so ugly. I'm not crazy about the hardware home button, but that's no big deal. The build quality seriously feels like a Playskool designed toy phone. I was literally worried about snapping the egg shell thin back plate when I was setting up the phone.

*internet high five* :D

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
However if Samsung decide to stick to AMOLED and can't hit the resolution the competitors can do, it'd be great marketing for HTC and Sony and LG to come out with 1080p screens and point to Samsung, showing that they are still pushing out 720p screens simply because they stubbornly stuck to AMOLED.

i cant imagine samsung ditching 1080p screens in favor of sticking with S AMOLED. its marketing suicide

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

The LTE argument is total bull . Almost no one has LTE ON AT&T AND OR TMOBILE the only two networks that this phone works on. So if the majority don't have access to LTE its only relevant to a small sector which in turn is negligible as noticed by the nexus 4 sales

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

people wanted a cdma one. verizon has boss LTE coverage. but its verizon....

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
it's a matter of speed that truly matters. HSPA+ is sometimes faster than LTE in certain markets. I'm in Canada and have been swapping back and forth between LTE and HSPA+ just to check speeds and LTE has been slower a number of times or the same. So as long as the signal is good you wont really notice the difference.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

its nothing more than numbers. for practical use, i dont see how there would be a difference.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Are you kidding me? AT&T has a rather LARGE LTE footprint in the states, and I am blanketed heavily by it down in Houston, Texas. I understand that LTE is relative to those that have access to it, but to say that "Almost no one on AT&T" has access to it, is a bit ignorant.

ATT's LTE is coverage is abysmal. Sure, in big cities you get it (like you), but its markets are very small in comparison, to say verizon.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Apple was chastised for not including LTE in the iPhone 4S, but Google excludes it in the Nexus 4, and it's suddenly OK? I understand that real world usage varies, but LTE in 2012/early 2013 definitely matters.

its different. n4 is unlocked, and contract free (and we all know why), which means its GSM, which means poor LTE coverage. for the iphone to be on contract with the big carriers and not have it is not exactly the same comparison. but iirc when the 4S came out LTE was just rolling out right? very few phones had it no?

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

ATT's LTE is coverage is abysmal. Sure, in big cities you get it (like you), but its markets are very small in comparison, to say verizon.
You act like it's nonexistent like Sprints LTE coverage. Sure it might not be on Verizons level but AT&T's LTE covers the most densely populated areas of the country.
its different. n4 is unlocked, and contract free (and we all know why), which means its GSM, which means poor LTE coverage. for the iphone to be on contract with the big carriers and not have it is not exactly the same comparison. but iirc when the 4S came out LTE was just rolling out right? very few phones had it no?
The idea is when the 4S released without it everyone said "There's no reason why it shouldn't have LTE in 2011". I however, agree that LTE was very poor then, and limited to only the states. Buy come on man, all of the top Android phones out now have LTE. In my opinion in 2012/2013 it's a standard, and should be a given. It's not like I'm the only one complaining about the lack of LTE here, every reviewer says the same thing. Is it a deal breaker? For me it was at first, but then I made the choice that the pros of the N4 outweighed the cons. But it's like NFC in Android phones, no one uses it on a large scale but everyone expects it to be included.

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
are you being serious? 14 seems rather negligible to me...

Maybe significantly wasn't quite the right word.... Ok... Yes it was.

Have you seen the two side by side? The N4 makes the S3's screen look like an acne riddled teenager in comparison with all the visible pixels.

Here's a test. Put a tiny drop off water on both screens :eek:. This will magnify the pixels. On the N4 you still can hardly see any. You don't even need the water to see the S3's pim.... I mean pixels. :D

And yes I'm a pixel peeper. I'm a professional photographer for a living. ;)

All joking aside, the S3 is an awesome phone with an awesome screen. I just way prefer the N4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the screen on the s3. It's whatever is more pleasing to each persons eye. I'm always complaining about this screen but my boyfriend loves it. To each their own.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

The idea is when the 4S released without it everyone said "There's no reason why it shouldn't have LTE in 2011". I however, agree that LTE was very poor then, and limited to only the states. Buy come on man, all of the top Android phones out now have LTE. In my opinion in 2012/2013 it's a standard, and should be a given. It's not like I'm the only one complaining about the lack of LTE here, every reviewer says the same thing. Is it a deal breaker? For me it was at first, but then I made the choice that the pros of the N4 outweighed the cons. But it's like NFC in Android phones, no one uses it on a large scale but everyone expects it to be included.

i still dont think its the same comparison. T-mobile has a good 0 LTE towers. So everyone is stuck with AT&T's (poor) LTE coverage. If the nexus was on verizon, then yea it would be different. but its not, so i dont think its a big deal.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Maybe significantly wasn't quite the right word.... Ok... Yes it was.

Have you seen the two side by side? The N4 makes the S3's screen look like an acne riddled teenager in comparison with all the visible pixels.

Here's a test. Put a tiny drop off water on both screens :eek:. This will magnify the pixels. On the N4 you still can hardly see any. You don't even need the water to see the S3's pim.... I mean pixels. :D

And yes I'm a pixel peeper. I'm a professional photographer for a living. ;)

All joking aside, the S3 is an awesome phone with an awesome screen. I just way prefer the N4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

hmm i think this might be because the GS3 uses PenTile technology, so pixels are more visible. and no i've never seen the two side by side, but now i want to!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
i cant imagine samsung ditching 1080p screens in favor of sticking with S AMOLED. its marketing suicide
I think they will be going with the new flexible screen technology or using something like they did on the N10. Samsung cares nothing about loyalty to a certain screen technology. They will keep pushing the boundaries as needed.

Alpejohn

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
We are definitely in the same boat, i came from a S3 and i really miss some of the features on the phone! I didn't like the touch wiz, but it had a few good features.
I miss a file explorer and a note app, that fits in the os (same look) But not the biggest problem :)

But on the other hand, i LOVE my Nexus4 :D The S3 was very slippery, and i think it would very easily get "messy" on the back cover of touching so it felt like it was full of butter and sticky :p The rubber feel around the Nexus is great! :)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
We are definitely in the same boat, i came from a S3 and i really miss some of the features on the phone! I didn't like the touch wiz, but it had a few good features.
I miss a file explorer and a note app, that fits in the os (same look) But not the biggest problem :)

But on the other hand, i LOVE my Nexus4 :D The S3 was very slippery, and i think it would very easily get "messy" on the back cover of touching so it felt like it was full of butter and sticky :p The rubber feel around the Nexus is great! :)
There are plenty of file managers. ES or File Expert are great. Also AirDroid.

I agree on the messy part. Not sure if it is the glass or not, but my SGS2 was always covered in slimy smudges. My N4 is incredibly smooth and shows very few finger prints.

terpu82

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

I loved my S3, and was surprised at some of the TW options I miss going to the N4. I'm still happier with the N4, but there is one severe issue I'm having.

I use voice-to-text a LOT. I drive and text, I drive and email, I do everything but type on my phone. I simply love this feature and can't live without it. The nexus one it was great! The nexus S it was AMAZING, S2 crap, and S3 I found it to be so flawless, I could write huge emails and proof read it just for odd words.

The N4 voice-to-text is so lacking. It's crappier than it was on the S2. Does anyone use this feature as much as I do? Has anyone else noticed this? Is it because I use swype? Is it because google had to downgrade this feature because of some patent war? Is it because it was Samsung's content that made it so good? I have searched for the answer to this, but I haven't found many/any N4 users talking about this.

I'm kind of desperate. If anyone has any information, please let me know. I'm wondering if it is sammy content, maybe I can download their dictionary or something?

Also, the N4 claims that it can translate voice-to-text offline, but I haven't seen it doing that.

So far, the voice-to-text on the N4 vs. the S3:

1) Doesn't activate/start up as fast
2) Has dead zones frequently where I have full data service, or am on wifi, but it just doesn't record voice
3) Hangs up sometimes where it's "processing" and eventually fails
4) Starts recording my voice a few moments after I've started speaking; leaving off the first word or two of my sentences - this leads me to wait for it, or use a filler word at the beginning of a sentence to "activate" it into knowing I'm there

ANY tips are very welcome!!!

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I loved my S3, and was surprised at some of the TW options I miss going to the N4. I'm still happier with the N4, but there is one severe issue I'm having.

I use voice-to-text a LOT. I drive and text, I drive and email, I do everything but type on my phone. I simply love this feature and can't live without it. The nexus one it was great! The nexus S it was AMAZING, S2 crap, and S3 I found it to be so flawless, I could write huge emails and proof read it just for odd words.

The N4 voice-to-text is so lacking. It's crappier than it was on the S2. Does anyone use this feature as much as I do? Has anyone else noticed this? Is it because I use swype? Is it because google had to downgrade this feature because of some patent war? Is it because it was Samsung's content that made it so good? I have searched for the answer to this, but I haven't found many/any N4 users talking about this.

I'm kind of desperate. If anyone has any information, please let me know. I'm wondering if it is sammy content, maybe I can download their dictionary or something?

Also, the N4 claims that it can translate voice-to-text offline, but I haven't seen it doing that.

So far, the voice-to-text on the N4 vs. the S3:

1) Doesn't activate/start up as fast
2) Has dead zones frequently where I have full data service, or am on wifi, but it just doesn't record voice
3) Hangs up sometimes where it's "processing" and eventually fails
4) Starts recording my voice a few moments after I've started speaking; leaving off the first word or two of my sentences - this leads me to wait for it, or use a filler word at the beginning of a sentence to "activate" it into knowing I'm there

ANY tips are very welcome!!!

The actual Swype keyboard doesn't use the same voice to text engine as the stock Android keyboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs