Any Galaxy SIII users get a Nexus 4? What are your impressions?

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to keep using the Nexus 4 as my daily driver for the next couple of weeks, but I feel like I'm missing some of the added features of the S3. Anyone else in the same boat as me, or am I the only one. I feel like the S3 "just works", but the Nexus 4 takes a bit of messing around with to get it the way I like it. Maybe I'm just so used to the S3, anyone else feel this way? I'll give this phone a good few weeks before if I decide I want to keep this as my daily driver. What are your thoughts S3 owners?

Leo90604

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
My observations:

* Nexus 4 Better Screen - The color temperature is more white not warm (yellow tint with S3). It makes the S3 seem like older used degrading lcd due to the yellow tint.
* Nexus 4 people skin tones on video and photographs looks more natural.
* JellyBean 4.2 is better than Jellybean 4.1.1 <--(Doubt they will go to 4.2 on S3 and how long will it take?).
* Speed difference was not really noticeable. We are talking milliseconds when launching apps.
* Nexus 4 = Pure Google Experience. No touch wiz , no s voice
* I was able to upgrade S3 to Jellybean 4.1.1 and it was a pain. You might have to get S4 for Keylime Pie update looking into the future.
* I can't say if I miss Touchwiz.
* The home button I feel like I miss since I've used Iphone for 4 years and enabling the screen requires a press of the power key on Nexus 4. Kinda hard to get to.
* Easier to hold Nexus 4 since it has more real estate on the sides of it compared to S3 which narrows on the edge.
* I think S3 has slightly better camera when taking night shots. I have not compared day shots but N4 looks good with day shots.
* Probably better battery life on S3, when I used it using ICS, but Google Now (Jellybean) I think uses more battery.
* I was getting 10mb down on LTE (most of the time 3-6mb) and about 3-4mb on HSPA (ATT) but due to battery needs of Nexus 4 or Jellybean 4.2 I use juice defender and it takes a little longer to enable radios and start downloading data.
* I also miss the scrolling of home pages on S3. N4 stops when you get to the last one. The S3 automatically loads the other pages continuously.

Overall I would keep the N4 and actually selling S3.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
My observations:

* Nexus 4 Better Screen - The color temperature is more white not warm (yellow tint with S3). It makes the S3 seem like older used degrading lcd due to the yellow tint.
* Nexus 4 people skin tones on video and photographs looks more natural.
* JellyBean 4.2 is better than Jellybean 4.1.1 <--(Doubt they will go to 4.2 on S3 and how long will it take?).
* Speed difference was not really noticeable. We are talking milliseconds when launching apps.
* Nexus 4 = Pure Google Experience. No touch wiz , no s voice
* I was able to upgrade S3 to Jellybean 4.1.1 and it was a pain. You might have to get S4 for Keylime Pie update looking into the future.
* I can't say if I miss Touchwiz.
* The home button I feel like I miss since I've used Iphone for 4 years and enabling the screen requires a press of the power key on Nexus 4. Kinda hard to get to.
* Easier to hold Nexus 4 since it has more real estate on the sides of it compared to S3 which narrows on the edge.
* I think S3 has slightly better camera when taking night shots. I have not compared day shots but N4 looks good with day shots.
* Probably better battery life on S3, when I used it using ICS, but Google Now (Jellybean) I think uses more battery.
* I was getting 10mb down on LTE (most of the time 3-6mb) and about 3-4mb on HSPA (ATT) but due to battery needs of Nexus 4 or Jellybean 4.2 I use juice defender and it takes a little longer to enable radios and start downloading data.
* I also miss the scrolling of home pages on S3. N4 stops when you get to the last one. The S3 automatically loads the other pages continuously.

Overall I would keep the N4 and actually selling S3.
I guess the only experience I have with Android is the S3, and it has been a pleasant one. I've been an Apple user for a while, and really wanted to see what pure Google was about. I'll give this phone a chance and report back in a few weeks and see if my perception has changed. I just wanted some feedback from other S3 users thanks for your input.

Leo90604

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any Galaxy S3 users get a Nexus 4? What are your impressions?

I guess the only experience I have with Android is the S3, and it has been a pleasant one. I've been an Apple user for a while, and really wanted to see what pure Google was about. I'll give this phone a chance and report back in a few weeks and see if my perception has changed. I just wanted some feedback from other S3 users thanks for your input.

I picked up S3 when they announced Iphone 5. I played with it for 20+ days and returned it knowing that the S3's hardware is already considered old and it only had ICS. I believe May release and I got it in Sept. I opted for the next Nexus since it was around the corner and I'm glad I returned it and got Nexus 4 instead.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

Sold my GS3 after receiving my Nexus 4. I don't really miss anything about the GS3, not even LTE. I was getting 18 to 23 Mbps down with LTE in my area, with HSPA+ I'm getting 13 Mbps to 18 Mbps down using T Mobile. Its a really nice phone, I'm sure you'll enjoy pure Android and not want to use Touchwiz after trying it out. I'm sticking with Nexus phones.

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

I'm sticking with the nexus 4. I had the S3 and I can say there is absolutely nothing I miss about it.

Ny N4 has no problems whatsoever and I now hate how gimmicky the S3 was compared to this phone.

N4 def beats out the s3

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

s3 will probably never see anything past 4.1.2 for Android updates as well. I want Key Lime Pie when its released.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

I wouldnt take the N4 if I was paid to.

Almost everything is better on the SGS3 over the n4 except battery. The main reason for that is not Google Now, it is the LTE/HSPA difference.

Some things from the long post from ChrisXe:

TW at this point is better than "pure Google". Yes it is bigger, but I also have TONS more room on the sgs3 than the n4. The old adage that tw slows down the phone is gone. Now it is all about the features that are added with TW as compared to how bare AOSP is. That is ok, AOSP is supposed to be bare.

SGS3 will see 4.2 pretty soon. The premium upgrade that is coming is 4.2. It is already going out in some places I believe. When is the issue. I would say Q1 of 2013.

If the screen is better, I don't see it. is it the DNA's screen...nope but neither is the N4. There are differences between the two but they are jsut that. Both have pluses and minuses.

The camera on the SGS3 is leaps and bounds ahead of the n4 in every category..

Again, you couldnt pay me to take a N4

alc2077

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I switched from a S3 to the N4, to be honest after I received my N4 I contemplated just sticking with the S3 and selling my N4 but then the draw to the pure android experience was just too appealing to me. Fast forward, now that I have the N4 rooted and Apex launcher installed and customized to my liking, I ABSOLUTELY do not miss my S3. The battery on the N4 has not been as good as that of my previous S3 but I can live with it, my other concern was the camera of the N4 in comparison to the S3; but I can honestly say the difference in my opinion is negligible that I have not complaints. The way I explain the N4 to my buddies is like having a plain canvass to paint on, it's wide open.......Was never a fan of sammy TW, HTC sense or any of the other OEM skins so that part I absolutely luv not having..........

Another side-note, screen on the N4 is so much easier to read & view under direct sunlight compared to my S3 which was impossible for me to read under direct sunlight......:cool::cool:

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a rooted s3 running AOKP ROM, I enabled the on screen nav buttons and disabled the hardware buttons except for the home button. I call it the Nexus S3.

I am running jellybean (Verizon s3) and very soon will be running 4.2. I am already running the 4.2 apps.

I essentially have the pure Google experience on (in my opinion) the best quality phone I have used. The sound quality is awesome, the camera is awesome and the battery life is amazing. Plus I have 4g LTE and a pretty swag boot up animation.

Running custom ROMs let's me change so many things on the phone. I don't need to have a Nexus, I just need solid hardware and an unlocked boot loader and then I can have whatever experience I want, be it touch wiz or AOSP.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Almost everything is better on the SGS3

I tried to resist as much as I can, but I just can't help it.

Better because it has a micro SD slot and an LTE radio?

or better because it's processor has 2 less cores (US version)?

or better because it has an inferior and older GPU (adreno 225 for NA GS3 vs adreno 320 for n4)?

or better because the screen is over saturated with colors, has a lower ppi, more pixelation (PenTile) and does not look natural?

or better because of Samsung's sh***y plastic material composition + slow (or no) updates + much shorter software life cycle + ugly UI?

I'm never buying a samsung galaxy phone again after my experience with the galaxy s. I'd take an iphone 5 over the S3, seriously.

In all seriousness, the speed won't be much different in day to day use, even with the different CPU's. Camera is probably better on the S3 but I couldn't give two hoots. Aside from that, the micro SD and LTE, are the only advantages over the n4. With the n4, I get a device that feels incredible, newer CPU, better GPU, much much much faster updates, a cleaner/sexier UI, longer software life cycle, and a better screen. You say 4.2 is coming to the GS3, but by that time the n4 will be nearing the next update. I got gingerbread on my GS nearly a year after it originally came out. We'll see when the GS3 gets Key Lime Pie and if it even gets the one after that :p

So no, "almost everything" is certainly not better. like the other guy said in that other thread, if you're so against the n4, why are you hanging out here all the time?

Note: This is really silly arguing which phone is better. Please understand my intentions. I could care less which is actually "better". I am posting this solely to refute your statement. Not because i'm trolling or an n4 fanboy or anything. I would never have said this out of the blue.

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I had owned a Galaxy S3 since June when it was released here, and have had a Nexus 4 for a few weeks now.

- Better screen. I always felt AMOLED screens were way too over-saturated, so the LCD on the Nexus 4 is a nice change. Looks more natural and pleasant to the eye. Plus text is noticeably sharper. Doesn't have the AMOLED 'blur'. I think this is due to no pentile, but I'm not sure.

- Nexus 4 is significantly faster and smoother. Animations are much smoother. Transitions from app to app in the task switcher is better, everything just feels much more polished on the Nexus 4. The S3 felt fast, but didn't feel nearly as smooth as the N4. I really notice little details like how an app will enlarge it's window from exactly where the app is on the screen, how the RSS reader will fly up the top and a Chrome browser window will fly in to open the link etc. It's much nicer.

- The Nexus 4 having 2gb RAM and the international S3 only having 1gb RAM also added to the fluidity and reduced the amount of apps needing to be re-loaded compared to the S3.

- Stock android is much, MUCH better than Touchwiz. I never owned a Nexus device before and had a lot of Samsung phones. It really doesn't even come close. Stock android looks and feels much more polished, well designed and classy, whereas Touchwiz on the S3 looks and feels kiddy, cartooney and yes, very much cutesy-Asian inspired. The super large text with coloured icons in the settings

- The build quality is an absolute blowout. The S3 feels like a cheap, plastic piece of crap, and they have the gall to charge a top end price for it. The Nexus 4 looks and feels fantastic. Solid design, nothing tacky about it.

- The Galaxy S3 was full of useless gimmicks. Tap to top barely worked for me. It only works on like 4 apps anyway, but I had a hard time getting it to scroll to the top if you tap it twice. Smart stay was completely useless. It barely ever worked, and even then you can just set your screen off time to 10 minutes then press the power button when you've finished looking at the screen. I don't know why you constantly need the front facing camera to (attempt to) see if you're looking at the screen. Another gimmick is the pop up video thing which seems like it's designed to 'wow' people at a phone store, but has no use. You can change the size of the popped out video, and even then your eyes are only going to focus on one thing; either the video you popped out, or something else on the screen. You're not going to do both. So I felt that was a gimmick, as is a bunch of other 'features' they packed in. Needless to say, I did not miss them at all with the N4.

- Storage wasn't an issue. I never had large amounts of files stored on my phones anyway. Right now on my Nexus 4, I have 11 gigs of free space. But that's just me. You may require more space.

- I've grown to really like the on-screen buttons. At first I felt like it might be using up screen space for no reason, but after a while, you don't even notice it. Add to that, it's much better than the home button of the S3, which was worse than the button on the Galaxy S2.

- Nexus 4 will get updates immediately when Google release them. Not 6 months down the track (hello Galaxy S3 and the 4.1 update.....).

Overall, I'm extremely happy with it. I had no qualms with selling my S3 as soon as I got my N4. The Nexus 4 isn't for everyone (low storage + no LTE could be deal-breakers for many), but it's by far the best android phone I've ever owned.

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

So much wrong in this post...

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Feel free to counter-point it. There are a lot of outright facts in there, such as speed, build quality, colour calibration, etc.

I find it amusing you prefer Touchwiz to stock android, as TW is probably the worst UI around?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Let's start with they all have 2 gigs or ram... The cores are different

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Clearly you're incapable of reading, so nice attempt at trying to discount my post, when you've shown you have no idea what you're talking about.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

i hate TW...

I hated it too. What's worse is that Samsung just continually pack it with gimmick features like the ones I mentioned. Also I remember when I first fired up my S3, you got these little tutorial pop-ups every 5 seconds whenever you did anything on the phone. It was crazy.

I ended up flashing AOKP roms to have that stock android running on it. Now with the N4 I can have great hardware and the best software.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I hated it too. What's worse is that Samsung just continually pack it with gimmick features like the ones I mentioned. Also I remember when I first fired up my S3, you got these little tutorial pop-ups every 5 seconds whenever you did anything on the phone. It was crazy.

I ended up flashing AOKP roms to have that stock android running on it. Now with the N4 I can have great hardware and the best software.

haha after having TW on my GS1 i'm never going to try it again