Juice Defender on N4 - Yes or No?

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I always said, if you feel like you NEED this app, then something is wrong with your phone. I used it back on my Vibrant and never noticed any difference, maybe even worse performance. Besides, I don't know what any of these battery saver apps do that a little common sense can't solve. I don't need it to automatically toggle WIfi because I usually remember to do it myself. I don't need it to toggle GPS, Bluetooth, brightness, any of that stuff. I usually remember to do it myself. Unless there's something else this app does that i'm missing, besides toggling things for you, I dont see the point in installing this and keeping it running. Sure, I get a modest 12hrs out of this phone but I feel thats sufficient for now while I wait for a possible update to fix the battery issues.

Bar81

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I always said, if you feel like you NEED this app, then something is wrong with your phone. I used it back on my Vibrant and never noticed any difference, maybe even worse performance. Besides, I don't know what any of these battery saver apps do that a little common sense can't solve. I don't need it to automatically toggle WIfi because I usually remember to do it myself. I don't need it to toggle GPS, Bluetooth, brightness, any of that stuff. I usually remember to do it myself. Unless there's something else this app does that i'm missing, besides toggling things for you, I dont see the point in installing this and keeping it running. Sure, I get a modest 12hrs out of this phone but I feel thats sufficient for now while I wait for a possible update to fix the battery issues.

I would investigate your phone since I am getting double your usage with a minimum of 4+ hours of screen time; I would not accept 12 hours of battery time.

With regard to your claims that JD doesn't do anything, I think that is inaccurate. Besides the fact that it automates toggles on a global level (while it is good that you enjoy toggling settings throughout the day, I would prefer to focus my attention elsewhere), it also provides a lot of control to tweak data usage automatically in specific instances (which require the paid versions).

Last edited:

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I would investigate your phone since I am getting double your usage with a minimum of 4+ hours of screen time; I would not accept 12 hours of battery time.

With regard to your claims that JD doesn't do anything, I think that is inaccurate. Besides the fact that it automates toggles on a global level (while it is good that you enjoy toggling settings throughout the day, I would prefer to focus my attention elsewhere)

Three things. For one, 24hrs and 4hrs screen on time for you is great. For me though, 12hrs+ and maybe 2-3hrs screen on time is what I get. I've tweaked and tweaked without rooting, and around 12hrs is what I'm getting. I'm fine with that like I said. I searched forums, i'm done with that and just using my phone as I see fit and charging when necessary. I don't want to keep sending units back and forth thinking mine is defective. I've seen numerous users even get similar numbers as mine without much complaint.

Secondly, I don't know how long you think it takes to flick a toggle, but for me its about 5 secs maybe (Unlocking my phone, pulling down notification tray, using power toggles all my toggles are right there. Just tap and lock. Done). "Throughout the day"? I toggle Wifi maybe twice a day and thats all I manage. So what, I maybe eat up 10 seconds of my day my not using JD? Don't see the problem.

And thirdly, didn't say JD doesn't do anything. Just saying it doesn't do anything you can't do yourself, in terms of switching on/off toggles you need/dont need. Its not time consuming at all (at least in my case). Those data usage tweaks for the paid version may be useful though, but its still not an app I feel I need.

Bar81

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Three things. For one, 24hrs and 4hrs screen on time for you is great. For me though, 12hrs+ and maybe 2-3hrs screen on time is what I get. I've tweaked and tweaked without rooting, and around 12hrs is what I'm getting. I'm fine with that like I said. I searched forums, i'm done with that and just using my phone as I see fit and charging when necessary. I don't want to keep sending units back and forth thinking mine is defective. I've seen numerous users even get similar numbers as mine without much complaint.

Secondly, I don't know how long you think it takes to flick a toggle, but for me its about 5 secs maybe (Unlocking my phone, pulling down notification tray, using power toggles all my toggles are right there. Just tap and lock. Done). "Throughout the day"? I toggle Wifi maybe twice a day and thats all I manage. So what, I maybe eat up 10 seconds of my day my not using JD? Don't see the problem.

And thirdly, didn't say JD doesn't do anything. Just saying it doesn't do anything you can't do yourself, in terms of switching on/off toggles you need/dont need. Its not time consuming at all (at least in my case). Those data usage tweaks for the paid version may be useful though, but its still not an app I feel I need.

I am glad you are happy with your phone (given your specific expectations and usage patterns), but others such as myself will not accept what you are willing to accept (whether due to specific expectations and/or usage patterns) and so we tweak/use apps (like JD). Accordingly, I think your generalizations regarding the need for an app like JD are misguided. In any case, there is no harm in a user trying the free version and deciding whether it is a useful app for them.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya. I was really skeptical for a long time. I went back and forth with this app and have never purchased the paid version. But I just think it works. Here's mine today. I have been on wifi most of the day but still streamed music on data for 30 minutes. uploadfromtaptalk1357705441166.jpguploadfromtaptalk1357705476171.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I am glad you are happy with your phone (given your specific expectations and usage patterns), but others such as myself will not accept what you are willing to accept (whether due to specific expectations and/or usage patterns) and so we tweak/use apps (like JD). Accordingly, I think your generalizations regarding the need for an app like JD are misguided. In any case, there is no harm in a user trying the free version and deciding whether it is a useful app for them.

Let me ask you something. Are you running the stock kernel?

skotx

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I found that JD did improve my battery life somewhat. However, I disabled it because my HSPA would fluctuate off and on every five seconds when I wasn't on wifi. I saw the same behavior with another battery manager. Airplane mode or a reboot would fix the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?

-Scott

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
In general I don't like the idea of buying a really capable smartphone with tons of features, only to have to disable or greatly limit a whole bunch of those features for battery life. I'm ok with keeping an eye on apps I install, and change app settings on occasion or uninstall those that misbehave, but I don't want to be in the business of tweaking on a constant basis. There are phones out there that let me do what I want for a reasonable number of hours without all the fuss, and I'll stick to them. (Getting my N4 this Friday, so we'll see if it falls in that category!)

Having said that, I have used (the paid for version of) Juice Defender on prior phones (e.g. my HTC Thunderbolt that got miserable battery life), and was able to get significant improvements. BUT, it was at the cost of often having to wait for wifi and/or network connection and/or something else to power on because JD had it off to conserve battery, and the added slowness was frustrating. I played with timing and all that and it improved somewhat, but it was annoyingly time consuming when I just wanted to USE my phone and not be always looking over my shoulder at whether or not Wifi was on or LTE was on or bluetooth was on when I didn't need it etc etc.

So, with my rant out of the way, yes I think JD can help you make significant improvements, and it is a very flexibly product, but you will have to put some time into it.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Not anymore, Franco kernel; but even when I was running stock, performance was better than what you are getting.
Do you have to do anything special to install the Franco kernel? I'm rooted.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If you got as far as rooting your phone, flashing a kernel is as easy as pie.
I have rooted it. Can you give me the steps? Sorry, I'm not a complete knucklehead but I don't know what flash means and how the process works. I'm probably just missing something simple.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I have rooted it. Can you give me the steps? Sorry, I'm not a complete knucklehead but I don't know what flash means and how the process works. I'm probably just missing something simple.

There may be an easier way, but this is how I'd imagine you would do it since flashing a kernel should be like flashing a ROM. Also its worth noting i'm inexperienced with hacking Nexus device or whatever. I'm just going by what I did with my GS2.

1. Download the Kernel to a folder on your phone, something like "Downloads" maybe so you can access it easily.
  2. Boot your phone into recovery mode. Not sure what the button command is, think maybe holding the volume down button and the power button until you see the Google logo then letting go of the power button. If its not that, just download an app called "Quickboot". That'll put you into recovery mode.
  3. From recover mode, I think you'll see something like "Instll from SD Card". Not sure, but you'll have to find the download folder and then find the franco kernel.
  4. It'll ask you yes or no, hit yes. It'll flash. After that, go back, reboot your phone, and enjoy.

If anyone wants to correct me or comment on a quicker method (think someone said theres a Franco Kernel app in the play store), by all means go ahead.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
There may be an easier way, but this is how I'd imagine you would do it since flashing a kernel should be like flashing a ROM. Also its worth noting i'm inexperienced with hacking Nexus device or whatever. I'm just going by what I did with my GS2.

1. Download the Kernel to a folder on your phone, something like "Downloads" maybe so you can access it easily.
  2. Boot your phone into recovery mode. Not sure what the button command is, think maybe holding the volume down button and the power button until you see the Google logo then letting go of the power button. If its not that, just download an app called "Quickboot". That'll put you into recovery mode.
  3. From recover mode, I think you'll see something like "Instll from SD Card". Not sure, but you'll have to find the download folder and then find the franco kernel.
  4. It'll ask you yes or no, hit yes. It'll flash. After that, go back, reboot your phone, and enjoy.

If anyone wants to correct me or comment on a quicker method (think someone said theres a Franco Kernel app in the play store), by all means go ahead.
God bless you. I have been asking for some simple instructions on this for ages and people never outline it in a simple way. Everyone uses terms that make no sense. I will give this a go. Thanks for your time. It's appreciated.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I've gone back and forth on JD. I uninstalled it and it seemed like my battery drained a lot faster. I put it back on yesterday and I have had a huge increase. It could be coincidence but for now I'm running it. I just use the basic setting on the free version.

on screen time with/without juice defender?

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
For one, 24hrs and 4hrs screen on time for you is great. For me though, 12hrs+ and maybe 2-3hrs screen on time is what I get.
I get ~15 hours of battery life with about 3-3.75 hours of screen on time. never gotten to 4 though.

- - - Updated - - -

In any case, there is no harm in a user trying the free version and deciding whether it is a useful app for them.
i will do just that and see if it makes a difference.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay