Phone Dropping Data Connection AT&T

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed that sometimes after I turn wifi off, my HSPA+ connection hops in and out every few seconds. It turns from white with an H to no H then blue with an H then no H, etc.

Any ideas? A reboot fixes it, but still...

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
What APN settings are you using, and what data plan you have

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed a couple of issues but not sure if they're related or not. I often notice, without moving the phone much, the signal will fluctuate greatly especially when coverage is moderate. It will go from about three bars to no coverage without moving. All to often I'll be sending a text message with android warning me that there is no network coverage when I had good coverage just a second ago. Sometimes after turning off, or leaving, WiFi coverage I notice that the signal bar will constantly cycle from grey to h/grey to h/blue then back to grey and do that constantly until i reboot the phone.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
You guys should try deleting the other apns you have in the phone so you only have one in there

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not convinced that the display showing network reception is calibrated accurately. Mine fluctuates quite a bit too (though edge, which I leave it on often as a battery saver, is always really consistent). Also, The other day this happened. : uploadfromtaptalk1355402305587.jpg

I know having network reception without data is possible, but I didn't think you could receive data without *network* reception. I'm on TmO post-paid BTW.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

raystuckey

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what's happening to me. Its done it a few times.I just turn Airplane mode on and then off and it works again. I wish there was a fix for it.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
What are the correct apn settings for at&t? I have the same problem as everyone else and I am using the stock apn.

I've noticed they all vary depending on what plan you have, or really which phone you had prior to the Nexus 4. If you let me know what plan, or phone you previously had, I can better help you out.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I know having network reception without data is possible, but I didn't think you could receive data without *network* reception. I'm on TmO post-paid BTW. That's why you still had a working data connection.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

The gray signal indicator with no bars does not indicate no service / no reception. It just indicates a very weak signal (for example, -111dBm).

The signal indicator turns black for no service.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed they all vary depending on what plan you have, or really which phone you had prior to the Nexus 4. If you let me know what plan, or phone you previously had, I can better help you out.

I switched from Sprint, so my previous info wouldn't matter. I'm using ST-AT&T. I have a very weak cell signal at my house, but once I get out of my neighborhood, it's pretty good. I chose AT&T because their cell service is better to places that I travel to than T-Mo. What APN settings should I be using?

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I switched from Sprint, so my previous info wouldn't matter. I'm using ST-AT&T. I have a very weak cell signal at my house, but once I get out of my neighborhood, it's pretty good. I chose AT&T because their cell service is better to places that I travel to than T-Mo. What APN settings should I be using?

I would try the following:
Name: ATT
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: blank
Port: blank
Unsername: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: blank
Server: blank
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentation Type: blank
APN Type: default,supl,mms
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol
APN enable/disable checked and grayed
out on my phone
Bearer: unspecified.

There a few other ones depending on your plan, but this seems to be the most common one.

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

Losing data intermittenly on ST AT&T is a known issue and has been going on since about the middle of summer. It is one of the major reasons that I switched to using ST Tmobile as my primary service when I picked up my N4. The oddest thing about it all is that some areas suffer from it much more than others and some areas don't seem to have the problem much at all.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Losing data intermittenly on ST AT&T is a known issue and has been going on since about the middle of summer. It is one of the major reasons that I switched to using ST Tmobile as my primary service when I picked up my N4. The oddest thing about it all is that some areas suffer from it much more than others and some areas don't seem to have the problem much at all.

Well, I'm on wifi at home, but because the network connection is so crappy, I can't send/receive texts or mms messages most of the time. I have to walk around to certain locations in my house in order to get a signal.

AuntieJimbo

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure this has been asked many times, but I'm new to Android and don't even know how to begin to search for an answer to my question.
I have an iPhone 4s with AT&T, smart phone unlimited data plan. I gather I'll need a new SIM card; will I have to change the APN? (Not that I even k ow what that is!)

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm on wifi at home, but because the network connection is so crappy, I can't send/receive texts or mms messages most of the time. I have to walk around to certain locations in my house in order to get a signal.

Text messages don't use data so your data connection isn't the problem as far as texts go. What's your signal like when you are having issues with texts?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams