Tunein Radio stops/jitters when screen is off

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Just noticed something about the latest version of Tunein Radio Pro on my Nexus 4.

The radio app is running in the background and few minutes after the screen goes off, the radio stream would stop buffering and the music stops. If I turn the screen back on the radio would stream smoothly again until the screen go off again. This happens every single time I try.

Anyone else has the same problem? A bug?

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my first Nexus 4. I had to get it changed though because they gave me the 8GB version instead of the 16GB version. Since then I haven't had this problem. Sorry, not really offering any kind of helpful advice, but yeah, it did happen to at least one other person.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
It's happened to me before but not often (or consistently) and I'd attributed it to weak bandwidth at the time. Haven't seen it happen any more often on my N4 than it happened on my iPhone 5 and I use Tunein quite a bit everyday.

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Just noticed something about the latest version of Tunein Radio Pro on my Nexus 4.

The radio app is running in the background and few minutes after the screen goes off, the radio stream would stop buffering and the music stops. If I turn the screen back on the radio would stream smoothly again until the screen go off again. This happens every single time I try.

Anyone else has the same problem? A bug?

I'm having the same issue happen consistently. I've been unsuccessful in finding a remedy. Hope the next TuneIn update fixes it.

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Its good to know its no just happening to me. I think the issue is unlikely to be hardware related but can anyone else confirm this problem is absent on a 8GB N4?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Streaming WiFi or cellular? If WiFi go into settings and make sure it is not set to turn off when sleeping.

Settings, WiFi, Menu, Advanced

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
You have any battery life apps like Juice Defender running? Those have a bad habit of messing with streaming audio.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You have any battery life apps like Juice Defender running? Those have a bad habit of messing with streaming audio.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Thanks for the advice, I do have juice defender installed. Disabling it does not make a difference to the problem, it persists.

Sent from my Nexus 4

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I also have Tune In Radio installed but haven't had much of a chance to test it on the N4 yet (used it often on my HTC Evo 4G). So I just gave it a try and also had problems after putting the phone to sleep.

I went back into Settings -> Buffer Before Play and increased the value to 30 seconds which seems to have improved things.

Couple of questions: What network are you guys on? Do you have problems both with Wi-Fi and with celluar? Just Wi-Fi? Just cellular? If not certain, can you test and report back?

I am on T-Mobile and so far have only tested with a Wi-Fi connection. I will make a point to try some cellular tests as well.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Having similar issues with my N4. When the screen blanks, all apps go to sleep. GroovIP, Gmail notifier, Facebook notifier.

This is not the way it should be working; I certainly receive GMail notifications while the phone is sleeping - many times per day.

Are you sure you are not running a battery-saving app? Some other system utility perhaps?

rober1s

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
This is not the way it should be working; I certainly receive GMail notifications while the phone is sleeping - many times per day.

Are you sure you are not running a battery-saving app? Some other system utility perhaps?

Absolutely, 100% certain. Believe me, I checked.

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have tried reaching them for a few time but they never replied to any of my tweets, email or support request. I feel they probably don't care too much about android users. Since then I have found other ways to stream the stations I like.

What a let down.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Cloudscout#WN

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
This has been driving me nuts lately as well. I even tried setting the buffer to 30 seconds but it still stops and rebuffers at least once every two minutes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz