How to get iOS style notifications on the Nexus 4?

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from iOS to Android and find the Android notification system to be shockingly bad!

When my phone is on standby and I receive a text, Google Voice text, Facebook message, or email, I want the screen to light up and display the sender and content of the message, like it did on iOS.

And when I view the home screen, I want to see a badge on top of an icon with the number of unread messages within the app. E.g. if I have 5 unread messages in Facebook Messenger, I want to see a "5" on top of its app icon.

What are my options to bring this functionality to Android 4.2.1? Thanks!

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I just switched from iOS to Android and find the Android notification system to be shockingly bad!

When my phone is on standby and I receive a text, Google Voice text, Facebook message, or email, I want the screen to light up and display the sender and content of the message, like it did on iOS.

And when I view the home screen, I want to see a badge on top of an icon with the number of unread messages within the app. E.g. if I have 5 unread messages in Facebook Messenger, I want to see a "5" on top of its app icon.

Ironically, on this side of the fence, we generally shrug at the idea of being interrupted by light and a huge popup for each individual notification.

For the icon notifications, you can try to browse through the features of 3rd party launchers. But the functionality will be dependent on the launcher and/or application.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Live "badges" to use your term are called "widgets" in the Android world, so search the Play Store accordingly. You might even find some useful ones are already on your phone; tap the center button at the bottom of your home screen (the circle with six dots within), then tap the Widgets tab at the top of the next screen. If you find one that looks interesting, tap&hold then drag to an empty home screen location.

If you want your phone to act like an iPhone, why didn't you just stay on that platform? :)

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I personally like the notification of android, but that's just my opinion. you can use nova launcher, it will tell you how many messages, email, you missed on the of the icons.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

You can find some answers in these threads:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/232890-blackberry-apple-style-notifications.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/229417-notification-pop-up-when-phone-standby.html

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about email and such but for texts I use "sms popup," which is perfect in every way. It looks, feels, and functions like a native JB app.

Almost every 3rd party launcher has this feature. I like ADW EX.

And yeah, like someone already said, on the other side of the fence, I would HATE my screen lighting up everytime I get any notification. Texts, sure, everything else...not so much. Besides, my unread email count (especially Gmail) is almost entirely useless. I have 13k+ unread emails in my inbox.

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Why did you even make the switch if you want your Android phone identical to your iPhone?
Where did he say that? He just wants some of the functionality that he liked about iOS. I miss some functionality of Gingerbread...do I wish I was still on GB...hell no!

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Why did you even make the switch if you want your Android phone identical to your iPhone?

Why do you assume that just because he switched he now hates every aspect of the iPhone, and iOS. I switched back in June, and there's still plenty of things I miss about the iPhone, and iOS. Some things are done nicely in iOS, and some things are done nicely in Android.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Some apps will give you a pop-up alert natively. I know Calendar does. As for turning the screen on when it happens, I've never looked into it. I've always preferred the more subtle notification light most Android phones have. It's a matter of preference, but I'm not partial to the screen blasting an alert every time I get one. Feels kind of brutish.

Doug Hyde1

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I have both and I find android isn't as robust as it doesn't provide the option. Some users may not want those notifications, but it would be nice to have the option. I guess some like living with fewer choices. Android will allow those choices some day I am sure.

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Usually I hear hat the iOS notifications suck. They had been catching up to android for years.

I also find the comment about fewer choices on android quite humorous since you cant modify how iOS works at all. I'm sure there are apps on android to do what you want

I use light flow for different colored led notifications, which apple refuses to provide. I have no problem with the notification bar on the top and pulling it down to see the notifications

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I personally like the notification of android, but that's just my opinion. you can use nova launcher, it will tell you how many messages, email, you missed on the of the icons.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

You have to pay for that option on nova though.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE