Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to get iOS style notifications on the Nexus 4?

I just switched from iOS to Android and find the Android notification system to be shockingly bad!

When my phone is on standby and I receive a text, Google Voice text, Facebook message, or email, I want the screen to light up and display the sender and content of the message, like it did on iOS.

And when I view the home screen, I want to see a badge on top of an icon with the number of unread messages within the app. E.g. if I have 5 unread messages in Facebook Messenger, I want to see a "5" on top of its app icon.

What are my options to bring this functionality to Android 4.2.1? Thanks!
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.

Global Posts
    1,128 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: How to get iOS style notifications on the Nexus 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile App Product Manager View Post
    I just switched from iOS to Android and find the Android notification system to be shockingly bad!

When my phone is on standby and I receive a text, Google Voice text, Facebook message, or email, I want the screen to light up and display the sender and content of the message, like it did on iOS.

And when I view the home screen, I want to see a badge on top of an icon with the number of unread messages within the app. E.g. if I have 5 unread messages in Facebook Messenger, I want to see a "5" on top of its app icon.

Ironically, on this side of the fence, we generally shrug at the idea of being interrupted by light and a huge popup for each individual notification.

For the icon notifications, you can try to browse through the features of 3rd party launchers. But the functionality will be dependent on the launcher and/or application.
    Current: Moto X, ASUS Nexus 7 (2013)

Standby:
    Samsung Galaxy S3, LG Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Nexus One, ASUS Nexus 7 (2012), Motorola Xoom

Live "badges" to use your term are called "widgets" in the Android world, so search the Play Store accordingly. You might even find some useful ones are already on your phone; tap the center button at the bottom of your home screen (the circle with six dots within), then tap the Widgets tab at the top of the next screen. If you find one that looks interesting, tap&hold then drag to an empty home screen location.

If you want your phone to act like an iPhone, why didn't you just stay on that platform?
    yfan likes this.

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

I personally like the notification of android, but that's just my opinion. you can use nova launcher, it will tell you how many messages, email, you missed on the of the icons.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I asked the same question in another thread well sort of....

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    you have to buy nova launcher prime

and install this which is free but can only be used with Nova prime
    That's the answer I got

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

Install Light Flow

Quote Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
    Install Light Flow
    Isn't that just to control the LED light?

You can find some answers in these threads:
    Blackberry/Apple style notifications
    notification pop-up when phone on standby?

I'm not sure about email and such but for texts I use "," which is perfect in every way. It looks, feels, and functions like a native JB app.

Almost every 3rd party launcher has this feature. I like .

And yeah, like someone already said, on the other side of the fence, I would HATE my screen lighting up everytime I get any notification. Texts, sure, everything else...not so much. Besides, my unread email count (especially Gmail) is almost entirely useless. I have 13k+ unread emails in my inbox.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbuYazeedUK View Post
    No.
    Last edited by whatwhat; 12-13-2012 at 04:48 PM.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
    No. I know how to read, I would not suggest an app that would not solve your problems.
    I obviously don't thats why I didn't see those options lol gonna flick through the settings again. Thanks.

Why did you even make the switch if you want your Android phone identical to your iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by pespule View Post
    Why did you even make the switch if you want your Android phone identical to your iPhone?
    Where did he say that? He just wants some of the functionality that he liked about iOS. I miss some functionality of Gingerbread...do I wish I was still on GB...hell no!
    Thanked by:
    Wollombi and Chetan Takyar like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AbuYazeedUK View Post
    Yes, but can also be setup to turn on screen for 5 sec when new notification arrives
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by pespule View Post
    Why do you assume that just because he switched he now hates every aspect of the iPhone, and iOS. I switched back in June, and there's still plenty of things I miss about the iPhone, and iOS. Some things are done nicely in iOS, and some things are done nicely in Android.
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!
    Thanked by:

Some apps will give you a pop-up alert natively. I know Calendar does. As for turning the screen on when it happens, I've never looked into it. I've always preferred the more subtle notification light most Android phones have. It's a matter of preference, but I'm not partial to the screen blasting an alert every time I get one. Feels kind of brutish.

Like the OP I really like having Badge Notifications & wish Android supported it more easily.

That said, here's a guide for getting GLOBAL Badge Notifications (not just SMS, Gmail, Calls)--> [HOW-TO] Guide to Global Badge Notifications
    Crow1336 likes this.

I have both and I find android isn't as robust as it doesn't provide the option. Some users may not want those notifications, but it would be nice to have the option. I guess some like living with fewer choices. Android will allow those choices some day I am sure.

Hmm. Usually I hear hat the iOS notifications suck. They had been catching up to android for years.

I also find the comment about fewer choices on android quite humorous since you cant modify how iOS works at all. I'm sure there are apps on android to do what you want

I use light flow for different colored led notifications, which apple refuses to provide. I have no problem with the notification bar on the top and pulling it down to see the notifications

Quote Originally Posted by klau25 View Post
    I personally like the notification of android, but that's just my opinion. you can use nova launcher, it will tell you how many messages, email, you missed on the of the icons.

You have to pay for that option on nova though.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

There are dozens and dozens of widgets that will show your unread mail count. No need to install a whole launcher just for that (although I heartily recommend Nova Launcher. Just go the Play store and search on "email unread count".

As for why Android doesn't do that... there's lots of things that Android doesn't do that iOS does. The "there's an app for that" phrase was coined early on in the iOS world, but I think it's more apropos to Android. Just about anytime somebody asks something like "why doesn't android...", the answer is almost always that there's an app/widget/launcher/etc - it's much more customizable than iOS.

Funnily enough a friend of mine who switched from iPhone said the same thing. I find the notifications pop up incredibly annoying personally, but to each his own. I think the question has been answered, but in would also suggest giving yourself some time to get used to the notifications in android.

My friend found that he likes them better once he got used to them. They are more subtle, which personally I like. They doesn't make the notification system better or worse than iOS, just different.

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

I liked the number on the email in ios as well. After a while though I stopped missing it. In fact since most of my emails are spam, I like now that it does not constantly remind me of them...

So I look up at the notifications at the top of the screen and it shows icons for email,calls,voicemail etc. A simple swipe down and they are all accessible. I like this a lot better. If you give it a few weeks it might grow on you.

That one little email icon at the top leads you straight to the number of emails you have. If it's more then one you'll see it there. It amounts to the same thing.

I spent a lot of time Jailbreaking ios to get it to look and feel like Android. If you want you can spend a bit of time making it look like ios...thats the nice thing about Android and why we use it. We can make it unique to our selves.
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

Hmm nobody has mentioned SMS Popup. Download it from the play store it'll give you the popup notification you want and allow you to have the screen turn on.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

As others have said, you can use Nova Launcher Prime (3 dollars I think) and TeslaUnread (free) for notification badges on the home screen. I use it and it works flawlessly. It does cost a few dollars or pounds or euros or whatever your currency is, but considering the hundreds of dollars saved when buying an N4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast